double document computerfiles

I have two document computer files and they both have about the same folders
and items in them. I cannot delete one from one file without deleting it
from the other and I cannot combine them because I get a window that says
this folder already exists. How do I get this issue resolved? All help
appreciated.
--
jstrader

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 21:09:01 -0700, jstrader wrote:

> I have two document computer files and they both have about the same folders
> and items in them. I cannot delete one from one file without deleting it
> from the other and I cannot combine them because I get a window that says
> this folder already exists. How do I get this issue resolved? All help
> appreciated.

These are probably not duplicates but two different representations of the
same folder. Example:

Using the two paned view in Windows Explorer, I see
Desktop
My Documents <--representation #1
My Computer
list of drives and their contents including the same
"My Documents" in this location:
Documents and Settings\<username>\Documents <--representation #2

If I click on "My Computer" there is yet another representation of the same
folder in the right hand pane. It's shown as "Sharon's Documents."

No duplicates involved. Just three different ways to get to the same folder
and files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Ok I can believe this, but why is each document file not completely the same
as the others? Some have folders that are not in the others, this indicates
to me there is a difference in the document file folders.
--
jstrader

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 06:59:02 -0700, jstrader wrote:

> Ok I can believe this, but why is each document file not completely the same
> as the others? Some have folders that are not in the others, this indicates
> to me there is a difference in the document file folders.

Some of the views pick up additional contents from the "Shared Documents"
folder found here:
..\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents

Some folders - particularly this one - when you navigate My Computer or
Windows Explorer to get to it:
..\Documents and Settings\<your user>\Documents
would not show those folders/files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User