folders and files left from uninstalled downloaded softwar..

David

Additionally, I am realizing there are miscellaneous items left over as
well. For instance when i went into my Control Panel and went to task bar
and start menu option I wanted to see if my desktop icons were locked. So i
browsed around and when i did i saw all the icons left from old software
programs i do not and have not used as a matter of fact some programs i did
not have no more than 24 hours because i did not like it at all.. My
question is how do i safely remove these folders and files in my program
files and how do I get rid of these icons. It is disturbing to know you
uninstalled thru add/remove programs yet there is still stuff in the program
files under YET GET THIS the name of the software program i just uninstalled
something is wrong here. Anyway just teach me or someone please advise
preferably from technet because i do not want to screw up my registry or
anything else like other programs

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 22:02:01 -0700, david wrote:

> Additionally, I am realizing there are miscellaneous items left over as
> well. For instance when i went into my Control Panel and went to task bar
> and start menu option I wanted to see if my desktop icons were locked. So i
> browsed around and when i did i saw all the icons left from old software
> programs i do not and have not used as a matter of fact some programs i did
> not have no more than 24 hours because i did not like it at all.. My
> question is how do i safely remove these folders and files in my program
> files and how do I get rid of these icons. It is disturbing to know you
> uninstalled thru add/remove programs yet there is still stuff in the program
> files under YET GET THIS the name of the software program i just uninstalled
> something is wrong here. Anyway just teach me or someone please advise
> preferably from technet because i do not want to screw up my registry or
> anything else like other programs

Set Folder Options to show hidden folders files. Also elect to not "hide
system files." Then use search to find *.cpl Search results will show a
list of .cpl files. (.CPL=Control PaneL). Delete the unwanted ones for the
uninstalled software.

NOTE: You may see a few .CPL files with names you don't recognize. If they
are not related to the uninstalled software, leave them be.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Latest posts