Need Hotfix for 0x0000008e

September 4, 2005 2:35:03 AM

After installing some recent updates from microsoft my computer restarts on
it's own. After I disabled the automatic restart on failure feature I noticed
the 0x0000008e error. The computer does this on every reboot. I have to
restore the computer to before the updates are installed and then it works
perfect. I am not about to be charged 35 bucks for a phone call if they are
not going to help me. This error only happens after the latest updates. I'm
about 20 security updates behind now and I can't update with out the error.
Someone please help, I do not want to do a wipe and reload if I'm not sure it
is going to fix it. My computer is free of viruses, spyware, malware trojans
etc....If there are any pro's out there who can help me out it would be
great. I have never had a issue with my computer untill installing these
updates.

More about : hotfix 0x0000008e

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:21:23 PM

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - left hand column
(8E)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ian Schwartz" <IanSchwartz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After installing some recent updates from microsoft my computer restarts
> on
> it's own. After I disabled the automatic restart on failure feature I
> noticed
> the 0x0000008e error. The computer does this on every reboot. I have to
> restore the computer to before the updates are installed and then it works
> perfect. I am not about to be charged 35 bucks for a phone call if they
> are
> not going to help me. This error only happens after the latest updates.
> I'm
> about 20 security updates behind now and I can't update with out the
> error.
> Someone please help, I do not want to do a wipe and reload if I'm not sure
> it
> is going to fix it. My computer is free of viruses, spyware, malware
> trojans
> etc....If there are any pro's out there who can help me out it would be
> great. I have never had a issue with my computer untill installing these
> updates.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:05:53 AM

Ian Schwartz <IanSchwartz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After installing some recent updates from microsoft my computer restarts on
>it's own. After I disabled the automatic restart on failure feature I noticed
>the 0x0000008e error. The computer does this on every reboot. I have to
>restore the computer to before the updates are installed and then it works
>perfect. I am not about to be charged 35 bucks for a phone call if they are
>not going to help me. This error only happens after the latest updates. I'm
>about 20 security updates behind now and I can't update with out the error.
>Someone please help, I do not want to do a wipe and reload if I'm not sure it
>is going to fix it. My computer is free of viruses, spyware, malware trojans
>etc....If there are any pro's out there who can help me out it would be
>great. I have never had a issue with my computer untill installing these
>updates.

I think we need to research your problem a bit more thoroughly before
you off looking for a patch that, based on the available information
so far, is quite unlikely to resolve your problem,

I presume you are speaking of the patch mentioned in Knowledge Base
article 829578 - http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=829578

If so then this is a highly specific error that is related to
"highlighter feature and the font color feature in Microsoft Windows
XP programs", and you have mentioned nothing of this sort in
connection with your problems.

In any event charges are normally waived for support calls that are
just to get a specific patch mentioned in a Knowledge Base article.
However you will have to provide enough information to convince the
support person that you do indeed have the exact specific problem
described in that Knowledge Base article. And if you digress into
other support matters in any way during the conversation then the call
will become chargeable.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:33:02 AM

I have found the update that is causing the problem, it is KB890859. After
investigating this update I reallize I am not alone with this update. Need
help

!