marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

Hi everyone,

I am running Win XP SP2 with all the updates and on my P4 1.8 GhzCeleron
w/700+ MB ram begun seeing sluggishness when playing some movies that are
on the hard drive. CPU usage is 100 or close to 100%. I have used
Windows Media Player 9, Media Player Classic 6.4 and even my ATI player
that I installed to see what happens. When I play MP3's the CPU shoots
up to about 35-50% and intermittently spikes to 100%. It doesnt matter
what player I use.

I have ran the same video and MP3's on two different systems: Dell Laptop
1.6 Ghz P4 and a 800 mhz P3. All of these PC's CPU usage is below 30%
while playing.

I searched the MS knowledge base and ran the file from the following
link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d125d278-db07-4a36-8d64-8812e7f2af70&displaylang=en ,
but it was no help.

I am running S3 SavageProDDR onboard video card. I have checked and there
are no new drivers to install. I also should add that I upgraded from
Windows 2000 to XP Pro.

I suspect that some codecs could be running in the background?
Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

"Marko" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running Win XP SP2 with all the updates and on my P4 1.8 GhzCeleron
Don't you think that this speed might have something to do with your
problem?
Jim
> w/700+ MB ram begun seeing sluggishness when playing some movies that are
> on the hard drive. CPU usage is 100 or close to 100%. I have used
> Windows Media Player 9, Media Player Classic 6.4 and even my ATI player
> that I installed to see what happens. When I play MP3's the CPU shoots
> up to about 35-50% and intermittently spikes to 100%. It doesnt matter
> what player I use.
>
> I have ran the same video and MP3's on two different systems: Dell Laptop
> 1.6 Ghz P4 and a 800 mhz P3. All of these PC's CPU usage is below 30%
> while playing.
>
> I searched the MS knowledge base and ran the file from the following
> link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d125d278-db07-4a36-8d64-8812e7f2af70&displaylang=en ,
> but it was no help.
>
> I am running S3 SavageProDDR onboard video card. I have checked and there
> are no new drivers to install. I also should add that I upgraded from
> Windows 2000 to XP Pro.
>
> I suspect that some codecs could be running in the background?
> Any assistance is appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Sam

": > I am running Win XP SP2 with all the updates and on my P4 1.8
GhzCeleron
: Don't you think that this speed might have something to do with your
: problem?
: Jim

No, I believe I mentioned it in my initial post. I don't have this
issue with a P3 800 mhz machine, nor a 1.6 ghz P4. Only in the P4 1.8
ghz Celeron (recently). So,something has changed.

I'll ignore for now your mentioning that MP3s also have a problem. I'd
like to ask what type of movies we are talking about here. DivX, DVDs?
In either case, you could be using some decoder(s) that have a problem
and may need to be re-installed or updated.

---
It's easy to make a decision when there are no options

You infect probably Malice procedure,Leads to the utilization rate of
CPU usage is 100 .

Security expert resolve this problem thoroughly, so I commend "Security
expert" for you.

Website: http://securityexpert.cnns.net

Download try
out:http://securityexpert.cnns.net/download/securityexpert.exe

--
v.k

Marko wrote:
> "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
> : I'll ignore for now your mentioning that MP3s also have a problem. I'd
> : like to ask what type of movies we are talking about here. DivX, DVDs?
> : In either case, you could be using some decoder(s) that have a problem
> : and may need to be re-installed or updated.
>
> It make no difference. Basic home videos in raw AVI format or even
> MPEGS. I made an interesting discovery this evening. I have two profiles
> on this PC. The default profile has this issue but NOT the other profile.
> How could this be? In any case, how can I tell what decoders are
> ininstalled and how do I go about removing them?

You can use GSPOT to obtain a list of all CODECs on your system. Also
MMMLIST, if I recall the name correctly.

Having said that, if you're having problems with AVIs AND MPEGs, then
you would be using different CODECs, and I suppose it is not so likely
that BOTH (or ALL) of the relevant CODECs would be screwed up.

Now, you mention that you don't have problems with a second profile,
and I assume you mean a second USER, yes? Offhand, I am not aware of
anything associated with the definition of a user that would result in
the symptoms you describe. BUT, something just occurred to me. Do both
profiles use the same Power Settings? Is it possible that your CPU is
running at less than full power for one of the profiles? You can check
this by hitting the Windows key + PAUSE/BREAK, where you will see the
CPU power actually in use. Other than that, I have no suggestions.

---
[...]

Thank you. No, my system is clean. :)

:

bxf wrote:
> You can use GSPOT to obtain a list of all CODECs on your system. Also
> MMMLIST, if I recall the name correctly.

I think I got one fof these wrong. It is MM... something, not MMMLIST,
Can't recall at the moment.

---
It's easy to make a decision when there are no options.

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message

: :
: Now, you mention that you don't have problems with a second profile,
: and I assume you mean a second USER, yes?
Yes.

: Offhand, I am not aware of : anything associated with the definition of
a user that would result in
: the symptoms you describe. BUT, something just occurred to me. Do both
: profiles use the same Power Settings? Is it possible that your CPU is
: running at less than full power for one of the profiles? You can check
: this by hitting the Windows key + PAUSE/BREAK, where you will see the
: CPU power actually in use. Other than that, I have no suggestions.

Thanks, power settings appear to be at the Maximum. I suppose I could
delete my profile and start all over again?

One thing more. A while back, Windows Media was playing the MPEGS and
AVI's with off color. It was very bizarre. I cant recall how I resolved
it but I think I may have reinstalled some codecs.