Coverting files from works to office

I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel ones
the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is very
urgent.
7 answers Last reply
More about coverting files works office

    You have some Font problem. Use the format items to change font.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Adele77" <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com...
    >I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
    > any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel ones
    > the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is very
    > urgent.

    It did not work. Any other suggestions??

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > You have some Font problem. Use the format items to change font.
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Adele77" <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com...
    > >I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
    > > any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel ones
    > > the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is very
    > > urgent.

    Using Word to open *.wps files.

    From MS Word 2002 Help:

    [[Obtain file format converters
    The most commonly used converters are installed with Microsoft Word by
    default. If you want to open or save in a format that's not installed by
    default, you may need to obtain additional converters.

    Note You can open documents created in Microsoft Word 2000, 97, 95, 6.0,
    or 2.0 directly in Microsoft Word 2002. All data and formatting created in
    these versions of Word are fully supported in Word 2002.

    Converters supplied with Word:
    Opening or saving in Word:
    Microsoft Works 4.0 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 4.0 files.
    Microsoft Works 2000 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 2000 files.

    Convert a single file from another file format
    1. On the File menu, click Open.
    2. Locate the file you want to open, and then click Open.

    Convert several documents at once
    1. Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder.
    2. On the File menu, click New.
    3. In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General
    templates.
    4. Click the Other Documents tab.
    5. Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard.
    6. Follow the directions on the screen.]]
    -----

    Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users
    The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word processor documents
    created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other Works programs.
    Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
    2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windows® 98, 2000
    Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

    Works 2000 Converter for Word 97/2000 Users
    The Works 2000 converter allows you to open a Works 2000 .wps file in Word
    and to save a Word document as a Works 2000 .wps file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32e7205a-3880-4416-9260-57a96c8a9a76&DisplayLang=en

    Works Converter for Import/Export of Works Word Processor (.wps) Documents
    (Wp2krtf.exe) Text Converter for Works 4.x

    In order to open a word processor document (.wps) created in Microsoft Works
    4.x in Microsoft Works 2000, Microsoft Word 2000, or Microsoft Word 97, or a
    word processor document created in Works 2000, Word 2000, or Word 97 in
    Microsoft Works 4.x, you need to download and install the Wp2krtf.exe text
    converter.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b16eb3c-6df6-4545-89ff-05c627fba36b&DisplayLang=en

    -----

    Open Microsoft Works files in Excel
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010448771033.aspx

    -----

    "You can't import a Microsoft Works database (.wdb) directly into Microsoft
    Access. You must first use Microsoft Works to save the file to one of the
    file formats that Microsoft Access can import.

    Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
    On the File menu, click Save as.
    In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
    Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
    Access."

    Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com,
    Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
    > any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel
    > ones the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is
    > very urgent.

    I have tried many converters from the Microsoft site you sent but I still the
    files are still gobbledy gook. When I try to open them they say Not in
    recogniseable format. Thankyou for trying though. Any other suggestions??

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
    > On the File menu, click Save as.
    > In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
    > Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
    > Access."
    >
    > Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com,
    > Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
    > > any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel
    > > ones the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is

    Do the files open with Works? On another machine that has MS Works?

    What are the file extensions? I.e. filename.xlr, filename.wdb, etc.

    Are the files corrupted and will not open with any program?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:93C249B4-68F9-4417-8DDC-1CA18B918E46@microsoft.com,
> [...]
    >>
    >> Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
    >> On the File menu, click Save as.
    >> In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
    >> Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
    >> Access."
    >>
    >> Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com,
    >> Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot
    >>> open any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the
    >>> excel ones the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me.

    Thankyou for your help Wesley. Ive got a comp guy coming tonight. Ive got
    accounts to do and it's too urgent to wait. Thanks for your kindness I am
    sure you would have sorted it if I had the time. Regards Adele

    Let us know what happens, Adele.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9E74EF60-D4C5-4FBB-85B1-8F971E396A0A@microsoft.com,
    Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thankyou for your help Wesley. Ive got a comp guy coming tonight. Ive
    > got accounts to do and it's too urgent to wait. Thanks for your kindness
    > I am sure you would have sorted it if I had the time. Regards Adele
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Do the files open with Works? On another machine that has MS Works?
    >>
    >> What are the file extensions? I.e. filename.xlr, filename.wdb, etc.
    >>
    >> Are the files corrupted and will not open with any program?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:93C249B4-68F9-4417-8DDC-1CA18B918E46@microsoft.com,
    >> Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have tried many converters from the Microsoft site you sent but I
    >>> still the files are still gobbledy gook. When I try to open them they
    >>> say Not in recogniseable format. Thankyou for trying though. Any other
    >>> suggestions??

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32e7205a-3880-4416-9260-57a96c8a9a76&DisplayLang=en

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b16eb3c-6df6-4545-89ff-05c627fba36b&DisplayLang=en