Coverting files from works to office

September 4, 2005 5:20:03 AM

I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel ones
the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is very
urgent.

More about : coverting files works office

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:17:23 PM

You have some Font problem. Use the format items to change font.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Adele77" <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com...
>I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
> any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel ones
> the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is very
> urgent.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:25:17 PM

It did not work. Any other suggestions??

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> You have some Font problem. Use the format items to change font.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Adele77" <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com...
> >I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
> > any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel ones
> > the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is very
> > urgent.

September 4, 2005 4:20:00 PM

Using Word to open *.wps files.

From MS Word 2002 Help:

[[Obtain file format converters
The most commonly used converters are installed with Microsoft Word by
default. If you want to open or save in a format that's not installed by
default, you may need to obtain additional converters.

Note You can open documents created in Microsoft Word 2000, 97, 95, 6.0,
or 2.0 directly in Microsoft Word 2002. All data and formatting created in
these versions of Word are fully supported in Word 2002.

Converters supplied with Word:
Opening or saving in Word:
Microsoft Works 4.0 for Windows
Opens and saves Works 4.0 files.
Microsoft Works 2000 for Windows
Opens and saves Works 2000 files.

Convert a single file from another file format
1. On the File menu, click Open.
2. Locate the file you want to open, and then click Open.

Convert several documents at once
1. Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder.
2. On the File menu, click New.
3. In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General
templates.
4. Click the Other Documents tab.
5. Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard.
6. Follow the directions on the screen.]]
-----

Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users
The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word processor documents
created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other Works programs.
Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windows® 98, 2000
Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.

Works 2000 Converter for Word 97/2000 Users
The Works 2000 converter allows you to open a Works 2000 .wps file in Word
and to save a Word document as a Works 2000 .wps file.

Works Converter for Import/Export of Works Word Processor (.wps) Documents
(Wp2krtf.exe) Text Converter for Works 4.x

In order to open a word processor document (.wps) created in Microsoft Works
4.x in Microsoft Works 2000, Microsoft Word 2000, or Microsoft Word 97, or a
word processor document created in Works 2000, Word 2000, or Word 97 in
Microsoft Works 4.x, you need to download and install the Wp2krtf.exe text
converter.

-----

Open Microsoft Works files in Excel
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA01044877...

-----

"You can't import a Microsoft Works database (.wdb) directly into Microsoft
Access. You must first use Microsoft Works to save the file to one of the
file formats that Microsoft Access can import.

Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
On the File menu, click Save as.
In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
Access."

Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com,
Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
> any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel
> ones the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is
> very urgent.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:20:01 PM

I have tried many converters from the Microsoft site you sent but I still the
files are still gobbledy gook. When I try to open them they say Not in
recogniseable format. Thankyou for trying though. Any other suggestions??

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
> On the File menu, click Save as.
> In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
> Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
> Access."
>
> Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com,
> Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot open
> > any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the excel
> > ones the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me. It is

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:16:04 PM

Do the files open with Works? On another machine that has MS Works?

What are the file extensions? I.e. filename.xlr, filename.wdb, etc.

Are the files corrupted and will not open with any program?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:93C249B4-68F9-4417-8DDC-1CA18B918E46@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>>
>> Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
>> On the File menu, click Save as.
>> In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
>> Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
>> Access."
>>
>> Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:C0F94237-2577-4ACD-9381-B569A740ACA6@microsoft.com,
>> Adele77 <Adele77@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have just had Windows XP and office put onto my computer. I cannot
>>> open any of my files properly that were done in works. When I open the
>>> excel ones the text is all squares and funny writing. Please help me.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:16:05 PM

Thankyou for your help Wesley. Ive got a comp guy coming tonight. Ive got
accounts to do and it's too urgent to wait. Thanks for your kindness I am
sure you would have sorted it if I had the time. Regards Adele

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:02:55 PM

Let us know what happens, Adele.

--