Machine check

Tags:
  • Windows XP
September 4, 2005 3:06:18 PM

During XP startup sequence, I see in the Event Log, a number (~6) of
Machine Check records, ID26. The associated explanation says "unable to load
driver, missing or corrupt, etc". XP always runs up Ok in the end and
operates normally.
Is it possible to determine which specific driver is causing the problem?
In a boot log, I also note a cluster of "unable to load driver" entries
early in the sequence; this cluster, or parts of, being repeated again and
again. Eventually the boot completes.
The first entry always refers to "acpi drivers", so does this infer the
reason for the subsequent failures?

More about : machine check

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:06:19 PM

Bryan wrote:
> During XP startup sequence, I see in the Event Log, a number (~6) of
> Machine Check records, ID26. The associated explanation says "unable
> to load driver, missing or corrupt, etc". XP always runs up Ok in the
> end and operates normally.
> Is it possible to determine which specific driver is causing the
> problem? In a boot log, I also note a cluster of "unable to load
> driver" entries early in the sequence; this cluster, or parts of,
> being repeated again and again. Eventually the boot completes.
> The first entry always refers to "acpi drivers", so does this infer
> the reason for the subsequent failures?

Look in your event log and report the errors here.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Typically:
21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check ID26
21.50.52 MS Windows Uniprocessor free ID6009
21:50.52 Event log started ID 6005
21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check Regs ID26
21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check ID26
21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check Regs ID26
21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check ID26
21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check Regs ID26
21.52.17 Service Control Manager -Terminal Services successfully sent start
signal ID7035
From there on, over next two seconds, about a dozen logs informing of
successful starts to various facilities, eg Network, all with ID of 7035 or
7036
Finally the Event logged is shown as stopped ID 6006.

The same Application Popups occur each time. Similarly there is always the
second and third events which appear outwith chronological order.

As for the boot log, the following shows the sequence prior to the
failures.For brevity I show just the start of the failures. The list of
failed driver loads is quite lengthy and contains many repeats. However,
eventually
everything gets loaded and XP comes up fine.
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver viaidexp.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver dmload.sys
Loaded driver dmio.sys
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver viaagp.sys
Loaded driver viaagp1.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Did not load driver Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not ................etc
!