Machine check

During XP startup sequence, I see in the Event Log, a number (~6) of
Machine Check records, ID26. The associated explanation says "unable to load
driver, missing or corrupt, etc". XP always runs up Ok in the end and
operates normally.
Is it possible to determine which specific driver is causing the problem?
In a boot log, I also note a cluster of "unable to load driver" entries
early in the sequence; this cluster, or parts of, being repeated again and
again. Eventually the boot completes.
The first entry always refers to "acpi drivers", so does this infer the
reason for the subsequent failures?
2 answers Last reply
More about machine check

    Bryan wrote:
    > During XP startup sequence, I see in the Event Log, a number (~6) of
    > Machine Check records, ID26. The associated explanation says "unable
    > to load driver, missing or corrupt, etc". XP always runs up Ok in the
    > end and operates normally.
    > Is it possible to determine which specific driver is causing the
    > problem? In a boot log, I also note a cluster of "unable to load
    > driver" entries early in the sequence; this cluster, or parts of,
    > being repeated again and again. Eventually the boot completes.
    > The first entry always refers to "acpi drivers", so does this infer
    > the reason for the subsequent failures?

    Look in your event log and report the errors here.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Typically:
    21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check ID26
    21.50.52 MS Windows Uniprocessor free ID6009
    21:50.52 Event log started ID 6005
    21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check Regs ID26
    21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check ID26
    21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check Regs ID26
    21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check ID26
    21:50:45 Application Popup: Machine Check Regs ID26
    21.52.17 Service Control Manager -Terminal Services successfully sent start
    signal ID7035
    From there on, over next two seconds, about a dozen logs informing of
    successful starts to various facilities, eg Network, all with ID of 7035 or
    7036
    Finally the Event logged is shown as stopped ID 6006.

    The same Application Popups occur each time. Similarly there is always the
    second and third events which appear outwith chronological order.

    As for the boot log, the following shows the sequence prior to the
    failures.For brevity I show just the start of the failures. The list of
    failed driver loads is quite lengthy and contains many repeats. However,
    eventually
    everything gets loaded and XP comes up fine.
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
    Loaded driver ACPI.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
    Loaded driver pci.sys
    Loaded driver isapnp.sys
    Loaded driver viaidexp.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
    Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
    Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
    Loaded driver dmload.sys
    Loaded driver dmio.sys
    Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
    Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
    Loaded driver atapi.sys
    Loaded driver disk.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
    Loaded driver sr.sys
    Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
    Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
    Loaded driver NDIS.sys
    Loaded driver viaagp.sys
    Loaded driver viaagp1.sys
    Loaded driver Mup.sys
    Did not load driver Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    Did not load driver Audio Codecs
    Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
    Did not load driver Media Control Devices
    Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Did not ................etc

Windows XP