change laptop CPU???

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2005 11:27:55 PM

I have a Dell Latitude CPX with a 650MHz CPU... it's socketed, so is there a
chip I could use to replace it and boost the speed, say to 1GHz??? If so,
what chip. And would there be a problem with either heating or the
powersupply?

m9876c at yahoo dot com

More about : change laptop cpu

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2005 11:50:48 PM

The faster available in a MMC-2 CPU is 850Mhz. They are fairly rare but
occasionally available used on eBay. They do produce more heat but it is
not much of an issue. There is a very nice free program called I8kfanGUI
that you can use to adjust at what temperature your fan comes up to help
with that.

I actually did such an upgrade a couple of years ago and used PCMark 2002 to
benchmark the difference. The CPU times for a P3-650 was 1692, for a P3-850
was 2177. This was using Windows XP.

"Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Latitude CPX with a 650MHz CPU... it's socketed, so is there
> chip I could use to replace it and boost the speed, say to 1GHz??? If so,
> what chip. And would there be a problem with either heating or the
> powersupply?
>
> m9876c at yahoo dot com

Anonymous
a b à CPUs