wi-fi in Rome?

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi, I am heading over to Rome for awhile and was considering getting
wifi for my notebook. Does anyone know of any wifi access points in
Rome? I have heard that it is not as popular in Italy but I am hoping
that is not the case.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko
15 answers Last reply
More about rome
  1. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am heading over to Rome for awhile and was considering getting
    > wifi for my notebook. Does anyone know of any wifi access points in
    > Rome? I have heard that it is not as popular in Italy but I am hoping
    > that is not the case.
    >
    > Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
    > appreciated!

    http://tinyurl.com/yv6v6 lists 54 hotspots within 10 miles of the centre of
    Rome

    Paul
  2. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Throughout Italy (and Europe), wi-fi is seems to be almost non-existant
    except at commercial hotspots. Only half of the commercial internet cafes
    (not all served coffee) that I visited had wi-fi. The rest required you to
    either use their computers or plug in a network cable. In a number of
    cases, if you wanted to connect your own laptop to their network, they
    charged double the price of using one of their computers.

    Europe is definitely way behind the US in wi-fi deployment, particularly by
    individual residential users.

    Mike Schumann

    "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am heading over to Rome for awhile and was considering getting
    > wifi for my notebook. Does anyone know of any wifi access points in
    > Rome? I have heard that it is not as popular in Italy but I am hoping
    > that is not the case.
    >
    > Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
    > appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Gaiko
  3. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
    > Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
    > appreciated!

    I don't know if you need borodband speed or not. If you just need access,
    you might consider a Wind GSM prepaid. With Wind, for 19 Euro/month you can
    get unlimited internet access at GPRS speeds.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    That's a great deal. I wish I had known about it last week.

    Are there similar deals for Germany and France????

    Mike Schumann

    "Donald Newcomb" <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote in message

    > "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
    > > Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
    > > appreciated!
    >
    > I don't know if you need borodband speed or not. If you just need access,
    > you might consider a Wind GSM prepaid. With Wind, for 19 Euro/month you
    can
    > get unlimited internet access at GPRS speeds.
    >
    > --
    > Donald Newcomb
    > DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

  5. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Mike Schumann <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:
    > Europe is definitely way behind the US in wi-fi deployment, particularly by
    > individual residential users.

    Some countries. In my parents' town in the Netherlands, I pick up several
    access points from their front yard - and there are no houses taller than
    two levels for a 10 minutes' walk in any direction.

    In Amsterdam you can find many access points with SSIDs that make it clear
    they are free or public.

    In Istanbul there is free wifi offered in the departure area of the
    international airport.

    And it's not in Europe, I'll admit, but here in Malaysia I pay US$5/month
    for a card allowing unlimited wifi access at about 100 points around the
    capital. Sitting at Delifrance right now.

    miguel
  6. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:

    > ... here in Malaysia ...

    Relocation achieved, Miguel?

    --
    PB
    The return address has been MUNGED

    Padraig Breathnach <padraigb@iol.ie> wrote:
    > Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:
    >
    >> ... here in Malaysia ...
    >
    > Relocation achieved, Miguel?

    No apartment, no phone, and no visa (turns out these things are complicated
    when you don't understand a single thing that's going on around you), but I
    do have a way to get online and my hotel here costs less than my apartment
    did in DC, so who's complaining?

    miguel
  8. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:

    >Padraig Breathnach <padraigb@iol.ie> wrote:
    >> Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... here in Malaysia ...
    >>
    >> Relocation achieved, Miguel?
    >
    >No apartment, no phone, and no visa (turns out these things are complicated
    >when you don't understand a single thing that's going on around you), but I
    >do have a way to get online and my hotel here costs less than my apartment
    >did in DC, so who's complaining?

    Best of luck with getting things sorted.

    You will advise us of the house-warming, of course (probably, because
    you are canny, just after it happens).

    --
    PB
    The return address has been MUNGED
  9. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Hi, i was origonally thinking in terms of broadband but now I am just
    thinking in terms of internet access in general.

    #1 how exactly does WinGSM work? Is it something that i would just
    add to a cellular service or separate?

    #2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
    the costs)

    Thank you for your help,

    -Davidson

    "Donald Newcomb" <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote in message news:<40c397f7_2@news1.prserv.net>...
    > "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
    > > Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
    > > appreciated!
    >
    > I don't know if you need borodband speed or not. If you just need access,
    > you might consider a Wind GSM prepaid. With Wind, for 19 Euro/month you can
    > get unlimited internet access at GPRS speeds.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Gaikokujin Kyofusho <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote:

    > #2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
    > the costs

    For dialup home access you should subscribe to free isp services like
    virgilio. To be exact, they aren't free, as you pay a phone fee
    comparable to an urban call. Broadband access (adsl) has yearly
    contracts.

    --
    Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: llogi@dada.it
    Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius

    Gaikokujin Kyofusho <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote:

    > #2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
    > the costs

    For dialup home access you should subscribe to free isp services like
    tin.it. To be exact, they aren't free, as you pay a phone fee
    comparable to an urban call. Broadband access (adsl) has yearly
    contracts.

    --
    Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: llogi@dada.it
    Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius
    (musicologia pratica)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    In article <1gfjvxb.1e2j77o1xkc0wbN%llogi@dada.it>,
    Luca Logi <llogi@dada.it> wrote:
    :Gaikokujin Kyofusho <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote:

    :> #2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
    :> the costs

    :For dialup home access you should subscribe to free isp services like
    :tin.it. To be exact, they aren't free, as you pay a phone fee
    :comparable to an urban call.

    Has tin.it *ever* acted upon an abuse complaint? (And I mean that as
    a serious question.) In my experience, the abuse action rate in Nigeria
    shames the abuse action rate in Italy... and that's not saying much.

    Before chosing -any- mail provider in Italy, I recommend investigating
    it in the major blackhole spam lists. If you need to correspond with
    people outside of Italy, you may need to go as far as using a mail
    provider outside of Italy.
    --
    History is a pile of debris -- Laurie Anderson
  13. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

    > Has tin.it *ever* acted upon an abuse complaint? (And I mean that as
    > a serious question.) In my experience, the abuse action rate in Nigeria
    > shames the abuse action rate in Italy... and that's not saying much.
    >
    > Before chosing -any- mail provider in Italy, I recommend investigating
    > it in the major blackhole spam lists. If you need to correspond with
    > people outside of Italy, you may need to go as far as using a mail
    > provider outside of Italy.

    Well, there was a time when *all* tin.it users were blacklisted on
    Italian moderated newsgroups as a form of protest against their sleeping
    abuse service. The moderated newsgroups were reopened to tin.it users a
    couple of years ago, when the people administrating the it.* groups were
    convinced that the abuse service did wake up from his sleep.

    --
    Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: llogi@dada.it
    Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius
    (musicologia pratica)
  14. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com (Gaikokujin Kyofusho) wrote in message news:<991c4d67.0406171317.5db1ece0@posting.google.com>...

    > #1 how exactly does WinGSM work? Is it something that i would just
    > add to a cellular service or separate?

    This requires a GSM 900/1800 phone with GPRS data. Wind is one of
    three GSM compaines in Italy. You buy a Wind SIM card at a MondoWind
    store and add at least 20 Euro of credit. Then you send a SMS to the
    system saying "INTERNET SI". This turns on unilmited internet access
    and charges you 19 Euro for the month. Your phone connects to your
    laptop via cable, IrDA or BlueTooth.

    Right now, I'm using a similar setup with T-Mobile to post this
    article.

    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
  15. Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Are you doing this with T-Mobile in the US or in Europe? Does T-Mobile have
    a similar prepaid deal for GPRS in Europe as WIND?

    Mike Schumann

    "Donald Newcomb" <d_r_newcomb@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com (Gaikokujin Kyofusho) wrote in message
    >
    > > #1 how exactly does WinGSM work? Is it something that i would just
    > > add to a cellular service or separate?
    >
    > This requires a GSM 900/1800 phone with GPRS data. Wind is one of
    > three GSM compaines in Italy. You buy a Wind SIM card at a MondoWind
    > store and add at least 20 Euro of credit. Then you send a SMS to the
    > system saying "INTERNET SI". This turns on unilmited internet access
    > and charges you 19 Euro for the month. Your phone connects to your
    > laptop via cable, IrDA or BlueTooth.
    >
    > Right now, I'm using a similar setup with T-Mobile to post this
    > article.
    >
    > Donald Newcomb
    > DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

WiFi and Home Networking Wireless Networking Product