wi-fi in Rome?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 5, 2004 5:15:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi, I am heading over to Rome for awhile and was considering getting
wifi for my notebook. Does anyone know of any wifi access points in
Rome? I have heard that it is not as popular in Italy but I am hoping
that is not the case.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

More about : rome

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 3:34:18 AM

"Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am heading over to Rome for awhile and was considering getting
> wifi for my notebook. Does anyone know of any wifi access points in
> Rome? I have heard that it is not as popular in Italy but I am hoping
> that is not the case.
>
> Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
> appreciated!

http://tinyurl.com/yv6v6 lists 54 hotspots within 10 miles of the centre of
Rome

Paul
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 12:38:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Throughout Italy (and Europe), wi-fi is seems to be almost non-existant
except at commercial hotspots. Only half of the commercial internet cafes
(not all served coffee) that I visited had wi-fi. The rest required you to
either use their computers or plug in a network cable. In a number of
cases, if you wanted to connect your own laptop to their network, they
charged double the price of using one of their computers.

Europe is definitely way behind the US in wi-fi deployment, particularly by
individual residential users.

Mike Schumann

"Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am heading over to Rome for awhile and was considering getting
> wifi for my notebook. Does anyone know of any wifi access points in
> Rome? I have heard that it is not as popular in Italy but I am hoping
> that is not the case.
>
> Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko
June 6, 2004 9:07:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
> Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
> appreciated!

I don't know if you need borodband speed or not. If you just need access,
you might consider a Wind GSM prepaid. With Wind, for 19 Euro/month you can
get unlimited internet access at GPRS speeds.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

That's a great deal. I wish I had known about it last week.

Are there similar deals for Germany and France????

Mike Schumann

"Donald Newcomb" <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote in message

> "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
> > Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
> > appreciated!
>
> I don't know if you need borodband speed or not. If you just need access,
> you might consider a Wind GSM prepaid. With Wind, for 19 Euro/month you
can
> get unlimited internet access at GPRS speeds.
>
> --
> Donald Newcomb
> DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 7:01:52 PM

Mike Schumann <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:
> Europe is definitely way behind the US in wi-fi deployment, particularly by
> individual residential users.

Some countries. In my parents' town in the Netherlands, I pick up several
access points from their front yard - and there are no houses taller than
two levels for a 10 minutes' walk in any direction.

In Amsterdam you can find many access points with SSIDs that make it clear
they are free or public.

In Istanbul there is free wifi offered in the departure area of the
international airport.

And it's not in Europe, I'll admit, but here in Malaysia I pay US$5/month
for a card allowing unlimited wifi access at about 100 points around the
capital. Sitting at Delifrance right now.

miguel
June 11, 2004 8:21:08 PM

Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:

> ... here in Malaysia ...

Relocation achieved, Miguel?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

Padraig Breathnach <padraigb@iol.ie> wrote:
> Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:
>
>> ... here in Malaysia ...
>
> Relocation achieved, Miguel?

No apartment, no phone, and no visa (turns out these things are complicated
when you don't understand a single thing that's going on around you), but I
do have a way to get online and my hotel here costs less than my apartment
did in DC, so who's complaining?

miguel
June 12, 2004 2:50:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:

>Padraig Breathnach <padraigb@iol.ie> wrote:
>> Miguel Cruz <spam@un.u.nu> wrote:
>>
>>> ... here in Malaysia ...
>>
>> Relocation achieved, Miguel?
>
>No apartment, no phone, and no visa (turns out these things are complicated
>when you don't understand a single thing that's going on around you), but I
>do have a way to get online and my hotel here costs less than my apartment
>did in DC, so who's complaining?

Best of luck with getting things sorted.

You will advise us of the house-warming, of course (probably, because
you are canny, just after it happens).

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 6:17:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi, i was origonally thinking in terms of broadband but now I am just
thinking in terms of internet access in general.

#1 how exactly does WinGSM work? Is it something that i would just
add to a cellular service or separate?

#2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
the costs)

Thank you for your help,

-Davidson

"Donald Newcomb" <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote in message news:<40c397f7_2@news1.prserv.net>...
> "Gaikokujin Kyofusho" <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote in message
> > Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
> > appreciated!
>
> I don't know if you need borodband speed or not. If you just need access,
> you might consider a Wind GSM prepaid. With Wind, for 19 Euro/month you can
> get unlimited internet access at GPRS speeds.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 4:25:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Gaikokujin Kyofusho <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote:

> #2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
> the costs

For dialup home access you should subscribe to free isp services like
virgilio. To be exact, they aren't free, as you pay a phone fee
comparable to an urban call. Broadband access (adsl) has yearly
contracts.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: llogi@dada.it
Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Gaikokujin Kyofusho <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote:

> #2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
> the costs

For dialup home access you should subscribe to free isp services like
tin.it. To be exact, they aren't free, as you pay a phone fee
comparable to an urban call. Broadband access (adsl) has yearly
contracts.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: llogi@dada.it
Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius
(musicologia pratica)
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 4:27:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <1gfjvxb.1e2j77o1xkc0wbN%llogi@dada.it>,
Luca Logi <llogi@dada.it> wrote:
:Gaikokujin Kyofusho <gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com> wrote:

:> #2 Would you happen to know about "home access" (broadband/dialup and
:> the costs

:For dialup home access you should subscribe to free isp services like
:tin.it. To be exact, they aren't free, as you pay a phone fee
:comparable to an urban call.

Has tin.it *ever* acted upon an abuse complaint? (And I mean that as
a serious question.) In my experience, the abuse action rate in Nigeria
shames the abuse action rate in Italy... and that's not saying much.

Before chosing -any- mail provider in Italy, I recommend investigating
it in the major blackhole spam lists. If you need to correspond with
people outside of Italy, you may need to go as far as using a mail
provider outside of Italy.
--
History is a pile of debris -- Laurie Anderson
Anonymous

Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

> Has tin.it *ever* acted upon an abuse complaint? (And I mean that as
> a serious question.) In my experience, the abuse action rate in Nigeria
> shames the abuse action rate in Italy... and that's not saying much.
>
> Before chosing -any- mail provider in Italy, I recommend investigating
> it in the major blackhole spam lists. If you need to correspond with
> people outside of Italy, you may need to go as far as using a mail
> provider outside of Italy.

Well, there was a time when *all* tin.it users were blacklisted on
Italian moderated newsgroups as a form of protest against their sleeping
abuse service. The moderated newsgroups were reopened to tin.it users a
couple of years ago, when the people administrating the it.* groups were
convinced that the abuse service did wake up from his sleep.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail: llogi@dada.it
Home page: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/archivarius
(musicologia pratica)
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 2:43:38 PM

gaikokujin_kyofusho@mindless.com (Gaikokujin Kyofusho) wrote in message news:<991c4d67.0406171317.5db1ece0@posting.google.com>...

> #1 how exactly does WinGSM work? Is it something that i would just
> add to a cellular service or separate?

This requires a GSM 900/1800 phone with GPRS data. Wind is one of
three GSM compaines in Italy. You buy a Wind SIM card at a MondoWind
store and add at least 20 Euro of credit. Then you send a SMS to the
system saying "INTERNET SI". This turns on unilmited internet access
and charges you 19 Euro for the month. Your phone connects to your
laptop via cable, IrDA or BlueTooth.

Right now, I'm using a similar setup with T-Mobile to post this
article.

Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 6:56:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.europe,alt.coffee,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Are you doing this with T-Mobile in the US or in Europe? Does T-Mobile have
a similar prepaid deal for GPRS in Europe as WIND?

Mike Schumann

!