Long File names in Windows XP

Tags:
  • Windows XP
September 4, 2005 1:05:52 PM

I'm using Windows XP Pro. I find that when I try to either delete or rename a
file with a long file name, usually a song I've got in a folder and I don't want
the year, album info, track number etc, and I try to get rid of all that, I get
a Windows Explorer error telling me Explorer has to close, sorry for the
inconvenience, etc. It happens every time. I can use a utility such as Eraser
or Norton Utilities Wipe Info to delete the files, but I can't rename them. Any
idea why? Thanks.

More about : long file names windows

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:22:49 PM

Please post a copy of the error report as it appears in Event Viewer.

Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can make it harder to search for information about the
error message.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.When researching the meaning of the error, information
regarding Event ID, Source and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Double click the button and close Event
Viewer. Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report
complete with links into the message. Make sure this is the first paste
after exiting from Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<rfdjr1@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows XP Pro. I find that when I try to either delete or
> rename a
> file with a long file name, usually a song I've got in a folder and I
> don't want
> the year, album info, track number etc, and I try to get rid of all
> that, I get
> a Windows Explorer error telling me Explorer has to close, sorry for
> the
> inconvenience, etc. It happens every time. I can use a utility such
> as Eraser
> or Norton Utilities Wipe Info to delete the files, but I can't rename
> them. Any
> idea why? Thanks.

September 5, 2005 5:36:35 PM

"" wrote:
> Please post a copy of the error report as it appears in Event
> Viewer.
>
> Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message.
> Minor
> discrepancies can make it harder to search for information
> about the
> error message.
>
> You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative
> Tools,
> Event Viewer.When researching the meaning of the error,
> information
> regarding Event ID, Source and Description are important.
>
> HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows
> XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp
>
> A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer
> and double
> click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which
> appears is a
> button resembling two pages. Double click the button and close
> Event
> Viewer. Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the
> body of
> the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer
> Error Report
> complete with links into the message. Make sure this is the
> first paste
> after exiting from Event Viewer.
>

> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> <rfdjr1@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > I'm using Windows XP Pro. I find that when I try to either
> delete or
> > rename a
> > file with a long file name, usually a song I've got in a
> folder and I
> > don't want
> > the year, album info, track number etc, and I try to get rid
> of all
> > that, I get
> > a Windows Explorer error telling me Explorer has to close,
> sorry for
> > the
> > inconvenience, etc. It happens every time. I can use a
> utility such
> > as Eraser
> > or Norton Utilities Wipe Info to delete the files, but I
> can't rename
> > them. Any
> > idea why? Thanks.

You could use command prompt to rename the file.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Long-File-W...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1392118
!