Quote:

"Program Cannot Start or Run: The program or feature "\??\C:\EDIT.EXE"
cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows.
Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible
version is available."

This is the MS-DOS Editor 2.0.026 that was shipped with Windows 95A, and
it has worked on every OS (DOS6.22 to WinXP32-Bit), and now x64 has arrived,
most of the old console apps have been ported, but no MS-DOS Editor which is
the program I always use to edit files, programming in C, and editing binary
files, and I have never used another program such as Notepad or a Hex
Editor.

I tried running this on DosBox (8086 emulator) and it does not run very
well due to it not recognizing certain key combinations.

I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has done a port to Win32/64
console or if there is anyway that Microsoft can go out of their way to
convert this great 16-Bit DOS app to a Win32 Console or Win64 Console app,
or even release the source code to it so I can convert it myself (!).

Thank you

New ways to do familiar tasks
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/dos_diffs.mspx

Scroll down to...
MS-DOS commands no longer available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
The following 16-bit MS-DOS subsystem commands are not available on Windows
XP 64-Bit Edition.

edit is number three on the list.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A1ESe.102200$G8.16088@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Mashu <root@dev.null> hunted and pecked:
> Quote:
>
> "Program Cannot Start or Run: The program or feature "\??\C:\EDIT.EXE"
> cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of
> Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows
> compatible version is available."
>
> This is the MS-DOS Editor 2.0.026 that was shipped with Windows 95A,
> and it has worked on every OS (DOS6.22 to WinXP32-Bit), and now x64 has
> arrived, most of the old console apps have been ported, but no MS-DOS
> Editor which is the program I always use to edit files, programming in C,
> and editing binary files, and I have never used another program such as
> Notepad or a Hex Editor.
>
> I tried running this on DosBox (8086 emulator) and it does not run
> very well due to it not recognizing certain key combinations.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has done a port to Win32/64
> console or if there is anyway that Microsoft can go out of their way to
> convert this great 16-Bit DOS app to a Win32 Console or Win64 Console app,
> or even release the source code to it so I can convert it myself (!).
>
> Thank you

You can remap keyboard commands in DosBox by hitting CTRL+F1 while in
DosBox.

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> New ways to do familiar tasks
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/dos_diffs.mspx
>
> Scroll down to...
> MS-DOS commands no longer available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
> The following 16-bit MS-DOS subsystem commands are not available on Windows
> XP 64-Bit Edition.
>
> edit is number three on the list.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A1ESe.102200$G8.16088@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
> Mashu <root@dev.null> hunted and pecked:
> > Quote:
> >
> > "Program Cannot Start or Run: The program or feature "\??\C:\EDIT.EXE"
> > cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of
> > Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows
> > compatible version is available."
> >
> > This is the MS-DOS Editor 2.0.026 that was shipped with Windows 95A,
> > and it has worked on every OS (DOS6.22 to WinXP32-Bit), and now x64 has
> > arrived, most of the old console apps have been ported, but no MS-DOS
> > Editor which is the program I always use to edit files, programming in C,
> > and editing binary files, and I have never used another program such as
> > Notepad or a Hex Editor.
> >
> > I tried running this on DosBox (8086 emulator) and it does not run
> > very well due to it not recognizing certain key combinations.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has done a port to Win32/64
> > console or if there is anyway that Microsoft can go out of their way to
> > convert this great 16-Bit DOS app to a Win32 Console or Win64 Console app,
> > or even release the source code to it so I can convert it myself (!).
> >
> > Thank you

Try the Dos 6.22 version. It was the editor for QBasic and builtin to QBasic.exe. They look identicle.

"Mashu" <root@dev.null> wrote in message news:A1ESe.102200$G8.16088@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Quote:
>
> "Program Cannot Start or Run: The program or feature "\??\C:\EDIT.EXE"
> cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows.
> Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible
> version is available."
>
> This is the MS-DOS Editor 2.0.026 that was shipped with Windows 95A, and
> it has worked on every OS (DOS6.22 to WinXP32-Bit), and now x64 has arrived,
> most of the old console apps have been ported, but no MS-DOS Editor which is
> the program I always use to edit files, programming in C, and editing binary
> files, and I have never used another program such as Notepad or a Hex
> Editor.
>
> I tried running this on DosBox (8086 emulator) and it does not run very
> well due to it not recognizing certain key combinations.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has done a port to Win32/64
> console or if there is anyway that Microsoft can go out of their way to
> convert this great 16-Bit DOS app to a Win32 Console or Win64 Console app,
> or even release the source code to it so I can convert it myself (!).
>
> Thank you

You can also bore out a 283 cubic inch Chevy engine 0.125" and get 301 cubic
inches.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes