New 8440 - 400gig HD - partition??

I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.

Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
the whole HD.

Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
without going the Partition Magic route?

TIA,

SusanD
14 answers Last reply
More about 8440 400gig partition

    SusanD wrote:

    > I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
    > the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
    >
    > Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
    > the whole HD.
    >
    > Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
    > without going the Partition Magic route?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > SusanD

    There is really nothing in Windows XP pro, other than its
    own built-in backup utility in System Tools under Accessories.
    The better alternative would be to use a 3rd-party imaging
    application, such as Acronis TrueImage, and then Partition
    Magic to re-size and re-partition the HD. Restore the image
    saved to image to the same drive letter (Drive C, the system
    partition) of the re-sized HD. (Note: When re-partitioning,
    there might be a Dell diagnostic partition; I'd retain it, if
    possible.)

    "SusanD" <druding1@straw.com> wrote in message
    > I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
    > the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
    >
    > Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
    > the whole HD.
    >
    > Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
    > without going the Partition Magic route?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > SusanD

    Looks like a ride with PM 8.0 to divide up that mass of real estate.....

    Stew

    Nope.

    You need some thing like PM.

    "SusanD" <druding1@straw.com> wrote in message
    > I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
    > the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
    >
    > Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
    > the whole HD.
    >
    > Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
    > without going the Partition Magic route?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > SusanD

    wow 400 gig I am impressed.
    I guess bigger is better.

    "SusanD" <druding1@straw.com> wrote in message
    > I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
    > the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
    >
    > Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
    > the whole HD.
    >
    > Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
    > without going the Partition Magic route?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > SusanD

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:40:23 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ghostrider
    <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

    <snip>
    >(Note: When re-partitioning,
    >there might be a Dell diagnostic partition; I'd retain it, if
    >possible.)

    I just repartitioned the two 160 Gig drives on my XPS 5 with Partition
    Magic. No problems at all.

    The DellUtility partition is only 47 Meg, and I just left it alone.
    (Partition Magic saw it and wasn't bothered by it.)

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

    >The better alternative would be to use a 3rd-party imaging
    >application, such as Acronis TrueImage, and then Partition
    >Magic to re-size and re-partition the HD. Restore the image
    >saved to image to the same drive letter (Drive C, the system
    >partition) of the re-sized HD. (Note: When re-partitioning,
    >there might be a Dell diagnostic partition; I'd retain it, if
    >possible.)

    Hit Send too soon...

    I did a full backup before repartitioning as a precaution, but had no need
    to restore anything after Partition Magic rearranged things.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Thanks Everyone - Guess I'll upgrade my old PM 7.0 to 8.0 before I
    start this job.

    My old 8100 Inspiron bit the dust - hard drive is a goner and I hadn't
    backed up for 4 months - what a mess!

    I treated myself to a Multi-Media Dell 8400 and am going to try to do
    a Do-It-Yourself TIVO sort of thing. Also plan to do some amateur
    video editing, thus the big hard drive.

    I'm going to be Very Good now about backups - (famous last words?)

    SusanD

    "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > wow 400 gig I am impressed.
    > I guess bigger is better.

    Until it dies. And it *will* die just like any other hard disk.....

    Best have a backup hard disk or a dual-layer DVDRW and 45+ blank
    discs.....;-)

    Stew

    > Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
    > without going the Partition Magic route?

    Not that I'm aware. I think there are some free 3rd party tools to allow you
    to manage the partitions like PartitionMagic but I'd have to ask "do you
    trust them?..."

    Cheers, Rob.

    Susan,

    Check out www.snapstream.com I highly recommend their BeyondTV product. I
    have two machines using it. One is controlling my digital cable box with a
    USB-UIRT transmitter. The other has two tuner cards using regular cable.
    Three shows at a time.

    We love it. If a show moves times, it follows it automatically. You can
    schedule shows on their website and the system will download them -- so if
    you forget to setup a show you can do it from anywhere. You can even
    schedule shows using a WAP enabled cellphone (although I have never tried
    it). Quality is outstanding.

    For tuner cards, I prefer the Hauppauge products. Two of my tuners are
    their PVR USB2 boxes, so you don't even have to install a card. I'm
    considering getting a couple more to give me more channels at one time.

    Tom

    <cpy@straw.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Everyone - Guess I'll upgrade my old PM 7.0 to 8.0 before I
    > start this job.
    >
    > My old 8100 Inspiron bit the dust - hard drive is a goner and I hadn't
    > backed up for 4 months - what a mess!
    >
    > I treated myself to a Multi-Media Dell 8400 and am going to try to do
    > a Do-It-Yourself TIVO sort of thing. Also plan to do some amateur
    > video editing, thus the big hard drive.
    >
    > I'm going to be Very Good now about backups - (famous last words?)
    >
    > SusanD

    thanks for the tip, Tom! Sounds like a good link to save - I'm still
    fighting with getting all my favorites back on this PC. Losing a hard
    disk meant my fav programs and shareware reg numbers are missing.

    This time I'm going to save them on a Piece of Paper and file it!

    SusanD

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:34:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Susan,
    >
    >Check out www.snapstream.com I highly recommend their BeyondTV product. I
    >have two machines using it. One is controlling my digital cable box with a
    >USB-UIRT transmitter. The other has two tuner cards using regular cable.
    >Three shows at a time.
    >
    >We love it. If a show moves times, it follows it automatically. You can
    >schedule shows on their website and the system will download them -- so if
    >you forget to setup a show you can do it from anywhere. You can even
    >schedule shows using a WAP enabled cellphone (although I have never tried
    >it). Quality is outstanding.
    >
    >For tuner cards, I prefer the Hauppauge products. Two of my tuners are
    >their PVR USB2 boxes, so you don't even have to install a card. I'm
    >considering getting a couple more to give me more channels at one time.
    >
    >Tom
    >

    ><cpy@straw.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Everyone - Guess I'll upgrade my old PM 7.0 to 8.0 before I
    >> start this job.
    >>
    >> My old 8100 Inspiron bit the dust - hard drive is a goner and I hadn't
    >> backed up for 4 months - what a mess!
    >>
    >> I treated myself to a Multi-Media Dell 8400 and am going to try to do
    >> a Do-It-Yourself TIVO sort of thing. Also plan to do some amateur
    >> video editing, thus the big hard drive.
    >>
    >> I'm going to be Very Good now about backups - (famous last words?)
    >>
    >> SusanD

    Yep! that's why I want to partition off my backup stuff.

    Writing DVDs will do for some stuff, but I'm thinking of an external
    hard drive - maybe in an enclosure.

    SusanD

    "SCD" <scd@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yep! that's why I want to partition off my backup stuff.
    >
    > Writing DVDs will do for some stuff, but I'm thinking of an external
    > hard drive - maybe in an enclosure.
    >
    > SusanD

    That's a good idea, Susan. I just finished moving hard disks around in two
    of my machines here. All I can say is I'm glad they were networked for
    transferring documents folders, music, photos etc.

    I mirror my entire hard disk to a second bootable drive for the expected
    eventuality.....(and put the really important stuff on CD or DVD off site)

    Stew

    I recommend regular backups with eBackup from www.inachis.com Saves all
    your favorites, plus your Outlook Express email and accounts.

    Tom
    > thanks for the tip, Tom! Sounds like a good link to save - I'm still
    > fighting with getting all my favorites back on this PC. Losing a hard
    > disk meant my fav programs and shareware reg numbers are missing.
    >
    > This time I'm going to save them on a Piece of Paper and file it!
    >
    > SusanD

Dell Partition HD Computers