Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New 8440 - 400gig HD - partition??

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:15:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.

Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
the whole HD.

Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
without going the Partition Magic route?

TIA,

SusanD

More about : 8440 400gig partition

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:40:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

SusanD wrote:

> I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
> the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
>
> Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
> the whole HD.
>
> Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
> without going the Partition Magic route?
>
> TIA,
>
> SusanD
>

There is really nothing in Windows XP pro, other than its
own built-in backup utility in System Tools under Accessories.
The better alternative would be to use a 3rd-party imaging
application, such as Acronis TrueImage, and then Partition
Magic to re-size and re-partition the HD. Restore the image
saved to image to the same drive letter (Drive C, the system
partition) of the re-sized HD. (Note: When re-partitioning,
there might be a Dell diagnostic partition; I'd retain it, if
possible.)
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:39:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"SusanD" <druding1@straw.com> wrote in message
news:1120421718.046345.259180@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
> the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
>
> Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
> the whole HD.
>
> Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
> without going the Partition Magic route?
>
> TIA,
>
> SusanD
>


Looks like a ride with PM 8.0 to divide up that mass of real estate.....


Stew
Related resources
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:29:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nope.

You need some thing like PM.

"SusanD" <druding1@straw.com> wrote in message
news:1120421718.046345.259180@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
> the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
>
> Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
> the whole HD.
>
> Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
> without going the Partition Magic route?
>
> TIA,
>
> SusanD
>
July 4, 2005 5:03:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

wow 400 gig I am impressed.
I guess bigger is better.

"SusanD" <druding1@straw.com> wrote in message
news:1120421718.046345.259180@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
> the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
>
> Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
> the whole HD.
>
> Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
> without going the Partition Magic route?
>
> TIA,
>
> SusanD
>
July 4, 2005 5:05:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:40:23 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ghostrider
<-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

<snip>
>(Note: When re-partitioning,
>there might be a Dell diagnostic partition; I'd retain it, if
>possible.)

I just repartitioned the two 160 Gig drives on my XPS 5 with Partition
Magic. No problems at all.

The DellUtility partition is only 47 Meg, and I just left it alone.
(Partition Magic saw it and wasn't bothered by it.)


--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
July 4, 2005 5:10:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:40:23 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ghostrider
<-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

>The better alternative would be to use a 3rd-party imaging
>application, such as Acronis TrueImage, and then Partition
>Magic to re-size and re-partition the HD. Restore the image
>saved to image to the same drive letter (Drive C, the system
>partition) of the re-sized HD. (Note: When re-partitioning,
>there might be a Dell diagnostic partition; I'd retain it, if
>possible.)

Hit Send too soon...

I did a full backup before repartitioning as a precaution, but had no need
to restore anything after Partition Magic rearranged things.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
July 4, 2005 6:20:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks Everyone - Guess I'll upgrade my old PM 7.0 to 8.0 before I
start this job.

My old 8100 Inspiron bit the dust - hard drive is a goner and I hadn't
backed up for 4 months - what a mess!

I treated myself to a Multi-Media Dell 8400 and am going to try to do
a Do-It-Yourself TIVO sort of thing. Also plan to do some amateur
video editing, thus the big hard drive.

I'm going to be Very Good now about backups - (famous last words?)

SusanD

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:29:51 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Nope.
>
>You need some thing like PM.
>
>"SusanD" <druding1@straw.com> wrote in message
>news:1120421718.046345.259180@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> I've just rec'd my new Dell 8400 and with a 400 gig hard drive I feel
>> the need to do some partitioning to make Backups reasonable.
>>
>> Since so much comes loaded on it, I don't want to start with re-working
>> the whole HD.
>>
>> Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
>> without going the Partition Magic route?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> SusanD
>>
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:18:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nrqdnaFzOJCUXlXfRVn-hA@comcast.com...
> wow 400 gig I am impressed.
> I guess bigger is better.
>


Until it dies. And it *will* die just like any other hard disk.....

Best have a backup hard disk or a dual-layer DVDRW and 45+ blank
discs.....;-)


Stew
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:07:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> Is there some feature of XP Pro that will allow me to do this easily
> without going the Partition Magic route?

Not that I'm aware. I think there are some free 3rd party tools to allow you
to manage the partitions like PartitionMagic but I'd have to ask "do you
trust them?..."

Cheers, Rob.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:34:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Susan,

Check out www.snapstream.com I highly recommend their BeyondTV product. I
have two machines using it. One is controlling my digital cable box with a
USB-UIRT transmitter. The other has two tuner cards using regular cable.
Three shows at a time.

We love it. If a show moves times, it follows it automatically. You can
schedule shows on their website and the system will download them -- so if
you forget to setup a show you can do it from anywhere. You can even
schedule shows using a WAP enabled cellphone (although I have never tried
it). Quality is outstanding.

For tuner cards, I prefer the Hauppauge products. Two of my tuners are
their PVR USB2 boxes, so you don't even have to install a card. I'm
considering getting a couple more to give me more channels at one time.

Tom


<cpy@straw.com> wrote in message
news:hlvhc11slv2k1o5b5mvk70pv4ge5aq54ip@4ax.com...
> Thanks Everyone - Guess I'll upgrade my old PM 7.0 to 8.0 before I
> start this job.
>
> My old 8100 Inspiron bit the dust - hard drive is a goner and I hadn't
> backed up for 4 months - what a mess!
>
> I treated myself to a Multi-Media Dell 8400 and am going to try to do
> a Do-It-Yourself TIVO sort of thing. Also plan to do some amateur
> video editing, thus the big hard drive.
>
> I'm going to be Very Good now about backups - (famous last words?)
>
> SusanD
July 4, 2005 11:49:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

thanks for the tip, Tom! Sounds like a good link to save - I'm still
fighting with getting all my favorites back on this PC. Losing a hard
disk meant my fav programs and shareware reg numbers are missing.

This time I'm going to save them on a Piece of Paper and file it!

SusanD

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:34:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Susan,
>
>Check out www.snapstream.com I highly recommend their BeyondTV product. I
>have two machines using it. One is controlling my digital cable box with a
>USB-UIRT transmitter. The other has two tuner cards using regular cable.
>Three shows at a time.
>
>We love it. If a show moves times, it follows it automatically. You can
>schedule shows on their website and the system will download them -- so if
>you forget to setup a show you can do it from anywhere. You can even
>schedule shows using a WAP enabled cellphone (although I have never tried
>it). Quality is outstanding.
>
>For tuner cards, I prefer the Hauppauge products. Two of my tuners are
>their PVR USB2 boxes, so you don't even have to install a card. I'm
>considering getting a couple more to give me more channels at one time.
>
>Tom
>
>
><cpy@straw.com> wrote in message
>news:hlvhc11slv2k1o5b5mvk70pv4ge5aq54ip@4ax.com...
>> Thanks Everyone - Guess I'll upgrade my old PM 7.0 to 8.0 before I
>> start this job.
>>
>> My old 8100 Inspiron bit the dust - hard drive is a goner and I hadn't
>> backed up for 4 months - what a mess!
>>
>> I treated myself to a Multi-Media Dell 8400 and am going to try to do
>> a Do-It-Yourself TIVO sort of thing. Also plan to do some amateur
>> video editing, thus the big hard drive.
>>
>> I'm going to be Very Good now about backups - (famous last words?)
>>
>> SusanD
>
July 4, 2005 11:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yep! that's why I want to partition off my backup stuff.

Writing DVDs will do for some stuff, but I'm thinking of an external
hard drive - maybe in an enclosure.

SusanD

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:18:17 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>
>"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:nrqdnaFzOJCUXlXfRVn-hA@comcast.com...
>> wow 400 gig I am impressed.
>> I guess bigger is better.
>>
>
>
>Until it dies. And it *will* die just like any other hard disk.....
>
>Best have a backup hard disk or a dual-layer DVDRW and 45+ blank
>discs.....;-)
>
>
>Stew
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:00:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"SCD" <scd@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:s9tjc1902nh0n44985bdq13v2kc7sg8v4e@4ax.com...
> Yep! that's why I want to partition off my backup stuff.
>
> Writing DVDs will do for some stuff, but I'm thinking of an external
> hard drive - maybe in an enclosure.
>
> SusanD
>


That's a good idea, Susan. I just finished moving hard disks around in two
of my machines here. All I can say is I'm glad they were networked for
transferring documents folders, music, photos etc.

I mirror my entire hard disk to a second bootable drive for the expected
eventuality.....(and put the really important stuff on CD or DVD off site)


Stew
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:01:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I recommend regular backups with eBackup from www.inachis.com Saves all
your favorites, plus your Outlook Express email and accounts.

Tom
"SCD" <scd@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:k8tjc1tbovaj7fsa1fetqpcg7ttjpi0pji@4ax.com...
> thanks for the tip, Tom! Sounds like a good link to save - I'm still
> fighting with getting all my favorites back on this PC. Losing a hard
> disk meant my fav programs and shareware reg numbers are missing.
>
> This time I'm going to save them on a Piece of Paper and file it!
>
> SusanD
!