Went to buy the i860

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 14, 2004 12:45:13 AM

My 16yr old broke her i730 so I thought I might get her a new phone for
Xmas. The girl at the local Nextel store gave me a price of $500.00. Does
anyone think it is worth it? I could renew my contract for another 2 years
and get it for $300.

J.

More about : buy i860

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:45:14 AM

In message <J3ovd.188707$V41.73482@attbi_s52> "Jimmy"
<jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote:

>My 16yr old broke her i730 so I thought I might get her a new phone for
>Xmas. The girl at the local Nextel store gave me a price of $500.00. Does
>anyone think it is worth it? I could renew my contract for another 2 years
>and get it for $300.

My dealer said to avoid it, they've had nothing but complaints, mainly
battery life and reception issues.

That says something, if a dealer won't even recommend a phone (knowing
that there wasn't another commission, I was just going to stick with my
u730)

--
A fool and his money are soon popular.
Anonymous

Jim
Shop around.Amazon.com has it for $380..just for phone.I have seen and used
the i860 ,no complaint except it is still bulky,but it has the iDen
components in it,hard to make phones smaller I guess.
$300 with 2 year renewal isn't too bad.
HTH
Wayne

"Jimmy" <jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote in message ...
> My 16yr old broke her i730 so I thought I might get her a new phone for
> Xmas. The girl at the local Nextel store gave me a price of $500.00. Does
> anyone think it is worth it? I could renew my contract for another 2 years
> and get it for $300.
>
> J.

December 14, 2004 1:05:31 AM

when the guy above stated that his dealer did not recommend the phone
because it had reception issues I think he was speaking of the i830.
The i860 which you are refering to has no reception issues that I am
aware of. The i830 does and it has very poor battery life but the i860
gets very similar batter life as the i730. The i860 is $249 with a
contract extension, if that is what you want to do it is your best bet,
unless you see some reason why you would cancel the service in the near
future.

--
1badss
http://cellphoneforums.net

In message <Kmovd.50700$Uf.35439@twister.nyroc.rr.com> "WKR"
<Wayner@nycap.rr.comREMOVE> wrote:

>Shop around.Amazon.com has it for $380..just for phone.I have seen and used
>the i860 ,no complaint except it is still bulky,but it has the iDen
>components in it,hard to make phones smaller I guess.

Have you compared the reception and/or battery life to the i730 (With
the fix, if possible -- It made a big difference here)

--
Nobody ever lost money underestimating the human intelligence.
-- P.T.Barnum

In message <1badss.1h89s7@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> 1badss
<1badss.1h89s7@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>when the guy above stated that his dealer did not recommend the phone
>because it had reception issues I think he was speaking of the i830.
>The i860 which you are refering to has no reception issues that I am
>aware of. The i830 does and it has very poor battery life but the i860
>gets very similar batter life as the i730. The i860 is $249 with a
>contract extension, if that is what you want to do it is your best bet,
>unless you see some reason why you would cancel the service in the near
>future.

Actually, you might be right. I checked my email and it was the i860 we
were talking about, but I suspect it was the i830 that he was thinking
of as the i860 isn't all that tiny.

--
Nobody ever lost money underestimating the human intelligence.
-- P.T.Barnum
December 14, 2004 1:42:37 AM

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <J3ovd.188707$V41.73482@attbi_s52> "Jimmy"
> <jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote:
>
>> My 16yr old broke her i730 so I thought I might get her a new phone
>> for Xmas. The girl at the local Nextel store gave me a price of
>> $500.00. Does anyone think it is worth it? I could renew my contract
>> for another 2 years and get it for $300.
>
> My dealer said to avoid it, they've had nothing but complaints, mainly
> battery life and reception issues.
>
> That says something, if a dealer won't even recommend a phone (knowing
> that there wasn't another commission, I was just going to stick with
> my u730)

How do you find such a dealer? You must be a good customer. I didn't think
it had been available long enough for a true evaluation, which is exactly
what was going through my mind when I was speaking to our local Nextal store
salesperson. I guess I will just get another i730.

J.
December 14, 2004 1:51:39 AM

WKR wrote:
> Jim
> Shop around.Amazon.com has it for $380..just for phone.I have seen
> and used the i860 ,no complaint except it is still bulky,but it has
> the iDen components in it,hard to make phones smaller I guess.
> $300 with 2 year renewal isn't too bad.
> HTH
> Wayne

I handled a demo this afternoon and it didn't appear bulky but I didn't
really think to compare it or actually hold the 730 at the same time. I
don't feel comfortable with a two year contract to begin with the way things
happen so quickly these days but I am considering that option. Is that price
of $380 without the renewal? That might not seem to bad. I don't mind
spending the money as much as I dislike the abuse the girl dishes out due to
only being 16 I guess ;)

Thanks for the response.

J.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:51:40 AM

My God, 380.00 No way, 249.00 at Nextelonline.com after 50.00 mail
in rebate.

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/Actio...

Jimmy wrote:

>WKR wrote:
>

>>Jim
>>Shop around.Amazon.com has it for $380..just for phone.I have seen
>>and used the i860 ,no complaint except it is still bulky,but it has
>>the iDen components in it,hard to make phones smaller I guess.
>>$300 with 2 year renewal isn't too bad.
>>HTH
>>Wayne
>>

> I handled a demo this afternoon and it didn't appear bulky but I didn't
>really think to compare it or actually hold the 730 at the same time. I
>don't feel comfortable with a two year contract to begin with the way things
>happen so quickly these days but I am considering that option. Is that price
>of $380 without the renewal? That might not seem to bad. I don't mind
>spending the money as much as I dislike the abuse the girl dishes out due to
>only being 16 I guess ;)
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
>J.

December 14, 2004 5:21:46 AM

JDa™ wrote:
> My God, 380.00 No way, 249.00 at Nextelonline.com after 50.00 mail
> in rebate.

Like I mentioned that price is only if you agree to renew for another two
years. Otherwise they want $500.00.

J.
December 14, 2004 5:40:26 AM

1badss wrote:
> when the guy above stated that his dealer did not recommend the phone
> because it had reception issues I think he was speaking of the i830.
> The i860 which you are refering to has no reception issues that I am
> aware of. The i830 does and it has very poor battery life but the
> i860 gets very similar batter life as the i730. The i860 is $249
> with a contract extension, if that is what you want to do it is your
> best bet, unless you see some reason why you would cancel the service
> in the near future.

I am in my first year with Nextel and cells are not necessary to sustain my
lifestyle. Especially at the cost of a $500 deposit and agree to TWO years
without any real trial period along with the outrageous price of these
phones to begin with. Not to mention the over price rip-off i730 that needed
an up grade just to get it to work right. This whole Nextel contract was a
gift to a special person. I am not in a hurry to submit to a ransom demand
to replace a broken phone with a practice as such that is unheard of in any
other market. I already pay well over $100 per for service and one would
think a reduced rate would be a nice way to treat an already contracted
customer. This alone would make me a bit sour about add more time to a
company that shows no care about anything but their bottom line. $249.00
isn't way bad but $500 is a bit over the top don't you think? No matter how
much fine print you read before signing on these details don't appear to be
visible. Not to mention that other fact of more phones with lousy reception.
Is there really any incentive for them to do something righteous? I don't
think so as long as people don't seem to mind these practices.

J.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:10:44 AM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:51:39 GMT, "Jimmy" <jimmycliff@spamex.com> said
in alt.cellular.nextel:

>I don't feel comfortable with a two year contract to begin with the way things
>happen so quickly these days

If you buy a Nextel phone you're locking yourself into using Nextel.
There's no such thing as unlocking a Nextel phone and taking it to
another carrier. (Unless you're moving to Canada, maybe.)
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:10:45 AM

In message <lamsr0t00mpnhnk6okpe8t6j4m4279cm8g@4ax.com> Al Klein
<rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>>I don't feel comfortable with a two year contract to begin with the way things
>>happen so quickly these days
>
>If you buy a Nextel phone you're locking yourself into using Nextel.
>There's no such thing as unlocking a Nextel phone and taking it to
>another carrier. (Unless you're moving to Canada, maybe.)

Boost (although they only use Nextel's network)

--
Nobody ever lost money underestimating the human intelligence.
-- P.T.Barnum
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:10:46 AM

DevilsPGD wrote:

> Boost (although they only use Nextel's network)

Southern Linc, a Nextel affiliate in the Southeast (again, they use Nextel's
network)

December 14, 2004 6:10:47 AM

In message <cplrvl$9f1$3@ratbert.glorb.com> Steve Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>> Boost (although they only use Nextel's network)
>
>Southern Linc, a Nextel affiliate in the Southeast (again, they use Nextel's
>network)

Forgot about them...

--
"NEWS SERVERS ARE NOT POWER BY HAMSTERS"
-- rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski

In message <xVovd.183618$5K2.44741@attbi_s03> "Jimmy"
<jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote:

>>> My 16yr old broke her i730 so I thought I might get her a new phone
>>> for Xmas. The girl at the local Nextel store gave me a price of
>>> $500.00. Does anyone think it is worth it? I could renew my contract
>>> for another 2 years and get it for $300.
>>
>> My dealer said to avoid it, they've had nothing but complaints, mainly
>> battery life and reception issues.
>>
>> That says something, if a dealer won't even recommend a phone (knowing
>> that there wasn't another commission, I was just going to stick with
>> my u730)
>
> How do you find such a dealer? You must be a good customer. I didn't think
>it had been available long enough for a true evaluation, which is exactly
>what was going through my mind when I was speaking to our local Nextal store
>salesperson. I guess I will just get another i730.

I've bought a few phones there, and I also go in to renew my contract
(Even though I could do it by the phone) since they get compensation.

Not an especially profitable customer, but they definitely have made
some cash. I'm also patient when I show up and need service, if they're
busy I let them finish their sale before I talk to them -- I just try to
be a nice guy.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

> WKR wrote:
> > Jim
> > Shop around.Amazon.com has it for $380..just for phone.I have seen
> > and used the i860 ,no complaint except it is still bulky,but it has
> > the iDen components in it,hard to make phones smaller I guess.
> > $300 with 2 year renewal isn't too bad.
> > HTH
> > Wayne
> >
> I handled a demo this afternoon and it didn't appear bulky but I didn't
> really think to compare it or actually hold the 730 at the same time. I
> don't feel comfortable with a two year contract to begin with the way
things
> happen so quickly these days but I am considering that option. Is that
price
> of $380 without the renewal? That might not seem to bad. I don't mind
> spending the money as much as I dislike the abuse the girl dishes out due
> only being 16 I guess ;)
>
> Thanks for the response.
Let HER pay for it, see how much abuse she dishes out then!!!!

!