PIII 733Mhz: GeForce2 Ti or GeForce3 Ti200 .

BobNoxious

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I have a Dell Dimension 4100 PIII 733Mhz with 128Mb Ram, 200watt powersupply, CableModem, SBLive valueDigital and a crappy TNT2M64. I want better framerates in Unreal Tournament (and the upcoming Unreal2). I want to upgrade to GeForce. Can the GeForce3 Ti200 run well on a 733MhzPIII or will I be better off (or see no difference) with a GeForce2 Ti. Please reply.

Note: Currently running Windows98SE and Dx7
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BobNoxious on 02/12/02 11:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
The GeForce3 will run faster and has more new 3D functions then the GeForce2, but the question is if it is worth the money. You also might have to buy a better powersupply, because newer 3D cards drwa a lot of power.
Also upgrade to the latest version of DirectX (8.1) especially when you have the newer card.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

eden

Champion
The problem is both would give you the same performance, as the GF3s need high speed computers to deliver the best they can. Currently your CPU is a bottleneck and the GF2 Ti would be the wiser choice to save money rather than get same performance for more. Otherwise upgrade the CPU too, and you'd be very happy with a DX 8 card and support for future games.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I have an Athlon 750 (It's actually a 1 Ghz chip running at 750 because my mobo won't run at 133 and I can't change the multiplier). I had a Visiontek GF2 Ti and it was awesome (paid 248 Canadian). Then Futureshop put the Visiontek GF3 Ti200 on sale for 229 so without any hesitation I swapped them out (returned the GF2). The performance has hardly improved but the quality of graphics in games like Wolfenstein have improved. If you can get a GF3 cheap Go For It!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PIII 733 is a reasonably good performer and will give you good results with either card. The Ti200 will perform better. Too bad you didn't have a PIII 700, since you could overclock that to 933 on your stock board, but that's life. The 733 with Ti200 is a reasonable combination.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

eden

Champion
My god that is one low price!!
I didn't think Futureshop would ever do such rebates!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
The best part is I had the GF2 for 5 and half weeks and they still let me return it. I called the manager and explained that I had just sailed to Hawaii for a Missile shoot on HMCS Ottawa (Gone for three weeks). She had no problem accepting the return as long as i did it that day. Now that's good service.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

BobNoxious

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Thanks for your help. Just got word from Dell. They say that the card is ok too. Just saw on PCWorld, that last October they reviewed all GF3/2's on a dell dimension 4100.
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/printable/article/0,aid,65283,00.asp

Also, card costs: $199US -$50US rebate for GF3ti200 at best buy.

From Dell:

Robert, The GeForce3 Ti200 video card is supported by your system
and it does not need a 300 watt power supply to work with the
system. Please refer to the technical specifications of the video
card from the link below:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/video/hmga4/spec.htm

For detail view of the video card user guide please refer to
the link below:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/video/hmga4/

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BobNoxious on 02/13/02 10:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>