connecting any usb freezes computer

Hello! I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.

I have windows xp and have had my emachines computer for about two years
now. The model number is D2244. I'm not sure if that is at all important,
but I decided to put that there just in case.

Anyway, I have had a problem lately with plugging in any USB cables, or even
a mere flash drive. Whenever I plug anything in, it freezes my entire
computer and I can't even move my mouse and alt+ctrl+del doesn't do anything.
I have a printer that is connected to my computer through usb... and the
internet connection I have is also through usb and both work just fine.

Here is the problem. I have just recently bought an apple Ipod. I did as
told and installed the software before plugging in the Ipod. When I plugged
it in, the computer completely froze on me, just like whenever i try to plug
in a flash drive.

I turned the computer off, turned it back on... and now it won't detect my
printer nor will it detect the Ipod.

I have all the windows updates and I have all necessary drivers, at least
those of which I know are needed on my computer. Please help me! I don't
want to have to get rid of the ipod, nor do I want to get a new computer.
I'd prefer NOT to reboot the computer completely, for I find that very
troublesome indeed.

Thank you so much for your help.
10 answers Last reply
More about connecting freezes computer

    Donna, I have this exact problem only with any flash drive or any external
    device including my camera. I did not have this problem when running Windows
    2000 but began happening after I upgraded to XP Pro. I tried uninstalling and
    reinstalling the drivers with no results. I even installed a new USB
    2.0/Firewire card and have the same problem whether the device I plug in is
    powered or not. When I use the old USB 1.0 ports on the back of the computer
    or thru a hub plugged in the same ports with the same devices, the all work
    fine although obviously slower. I have tried both the USB and the Firewire
    connects and have gotten the same result with both.
    The compute recognizes the ports and the devices and will sometimes let you
    see what is on the device, but will lock up as soon as you try to open any of
    the files with any of the options provided by XP.
    I know this isn't an answer to your problem but felt you should know I have
    already tried the two suggestions you have received so far.
    Hope you receive an answer soon because I could sure use a solution to this
    problem as well.
    Ray55125

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:15:02 -0700, Donna wrote:

    > Hello! I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.
    >
    > I have windows xp and have had my emachines computer for about two years
    > now. The model number is D2244. I'm not sure if that is at all important,
    > but I decided to put that there just in case.
    >
    > Anyway, I have had a problem lately with plugging in any USB cables, or even
    > a mere flash drive. Whenever I plug anything in, it freezes my entire
    > computer and I can't even move my mouse and alt+ctrl+del doesn't do anything.
    > I have a printer that is connected to my computer through usb... and the
    > internet connection I have is also through usb and both work just fine.
    >
    > Here is the problem. I have just recently bought an apple Ipod. I did as
    > told and installed the software before plugging in the Ipod. When I plugged
    > it in, the computer completely froze on me, just like whenever i try to plug
    > in a flash drive.
    >
    > I turned the computer off, turned it back on... and now it won't detect my
    > printer nor will it detect the Ipod.
    >
    > I have all the windows updates and I have all necessary drivers, at least
    > those of which I know are needed on my computer. Please help me! I don't
    > want to have to get rid of the ipod, nor do I want to get a new computer.
    > I'd prefer NOT to reboot the computer completely, for I find that very
    > troublesome indeed.
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help.

    How are you plugging these extra devices in? Into the computer's USB ports
    or into a USB hub? If using a USB hub, use one that has its own power
    supply.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I am using the computer's usb ports.

    "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using the computer's usb ports.
    >
    > "Sharon F" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:15:02 -0700, Donna wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello! I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this
    >> > problem.
    >> >
    >> > I have windows xp and have had my emachines computer for about two
    >> > years
    >> > now. The model number is D2244. I'm not sure if that is at all
    >> > important,
    >> > but I decided to put that there just in case.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, I have had a problem lately with plugging in any USB cables, or
    >> > even
    >> > a mere flash drive. Whenever I plug anything in, it freezes my entire
    >> > computer and I can't even move my mouse and alt+ctrl+del doesn't do
    >> > anything.
    >> > I have a printer that is connected to my computer through usb... and
    >> > the
    >> > internet connection I have is also through usb and both work just fine.
    >> >
    >> > Here is the problem. I have just recently bought an apple Ipod. I did
    >> > as
    >> > told and installed the software before plugging in the Ipod. When I
    >> > plugged
    >> > it in, the computer completely froze on me, just like whenever i try to
    >> > plug
    >> > in a flash drive.
    >> >
    >> > I turned the computer off, turned it back on... and now it won't detect
    >> > my
    >> > printer nor will it detect the Ipod.
    >> >
    >> > I have all the windows updates and I have all necessary drivers, at
    >> > least
    >> > those of which I know are needed on my computer. Please help me! I
    >> > don't
    >> > want to have to get rid of the ipod, nor do I want to get a new
    >> > computer.
    >> > I'd prefer NOT to reboot the computer completely, for I find that very
    >> > troublesome indeed.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you so much for your help.
    >>
    >> How are you plugging these extra devices in? Into the computer's USB
    >> ports
    >> or into a USB hub? If using a USB hub, use one that has its own power
    >> supply.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi
    You need to use a powered Usb Hub, It seems that your onboard usb cannot
    provide enough power for your Ipod.
    Chas

    Thank you Chas, very much. Is there a certain kind of usb hub that i would
    need? or would anything do?

    > Thank you Chas, very much. Is there a certain kind of usb hub that i
    > would
    > need? or would anything do?
    >
    > "Chas" wrote:
    >

    >> "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am using the computer's usb ports.

    >> Hi
    >> You need to use a powered Usb Hub, It seems that your onboard usb cannot
    >> provide enough power for your Ipod.
    >> Chas

    Hi
    A Mains Powered 4 port USB 2 hub would do you just fine
    eg
    http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=722

    Chas

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:15:02 -0700, "Donna"
    <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hello! I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.
    >
    >I have windows xp and have had my emachines computer for about two years
    >now. The model number is D2244. I'm not sure if that is at all important,
    >but I decided to put that there just in case.
    >
    >Anyway, I have had a problem lately with plugging in any USB cables, or even
    >a mere flash drive. Whenever I plug anything in, it freezes my entire
    >computer and I can't even move my mouse and alt+ctrl+del doesn't do anything.
    > I have a printer that is connected to my computer through usb... and the
    >internet connection I have is also through usb and both work just fine.
    >
    >Here is the problem. I have just recently bought an apple Ipod. I did as
    >told and installed the software before plugging in the Ipod. When I plugged
    >it in, the computer completely froze on me, just like whenever i try to plug
    >in a flash drive.
    >
    >I turned the computer off, turned it back on... and now it won't detect my
    >printer nor will it detect the Ipod.
    >
    >I have all the windows updates and I have all necessary drivers, at least
    >those of which I know are needed on my computer. Please help me! I don't
    >want to have to get rid of the ipod, nor do I want to get a new computer.
    >I'd prefer NOT to reboot the computer completely, for I find that very
    >troublesome indeed.
    >
    >Thank you so much for your help.

    I am a hardware tech and I've seen this problem numerous times with many
    different e-machine computer systems. The power supplies used in most
    e-machines are totally inadequate to provide the power needed to run
    more than one or two external USB devices. Use an externally powered USB
    hub if you want to add USB devices to any e-machines computer. It'll
    save you the cost of having to replace your power supply - about $125 at
    my shop.

    Good luck

    thank you for the suggestion, jack, but i have tried it and now the computer
    won't detect the printer or anything else. it is only when the printer is
    the only thing hooked to the computer that it is detected. even the usb hub
    does not work. thank you for trying though, your input is greatly
    apreciated, as is everyone else's.

    "Jack C." wrote:

    > On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:15:02 -0700, "Donna"
    > <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello! I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.
    > >
    > >I have windows xp and have had my emachines computer for about two years
    > >now. The model number is D2244. I'm not sure if that is at all important,
    > >but I decided to put that there just in case.
    > >
    > >Anyway, I have had a problem lately with plugging in any USB cables, or even
    > >a mere flash drive. Whenever I plug anything in, it freezes my entire
    > >computer and I can't even move my mouse and alt+ctrl+del doesn't do anything.
    > > I have a printer that is connected to my computer through usb... and the
    > >internet connection I have is also through usb and both work just fine.
    > >
    > >Here is the problem. I have just recently bought an apple Ipod. I did as
    > >told and installed the software before plugging in the Ipod. When I plugged
    > >it in, the computer completely froze on me, just like whenever i try to plug
    > >in a flash drive.
    > >
    > >I turned the computer off, turned it back on... and now it won't detect my
    > >printer nor will it detect the Ipod.
    > >
    > >I have all the windows updates and I have all necessary drivers, at least
    > >those of which I know are needed on my computer. Please help me! I don't
    > >want to have to get rid of the ipod, nor do I want to get a new computer.
    > >I'd prefer NOT to reboot the computer completely, for I find that very
    > >troublesome indeed.
    > >
    > >Thank you so much for your help.
    >
    > I am a hardware tech and I've seen this problem numerous times with many
    > different e-machine computer systems. The power supplies used in most
    > e-machines are totally inadequate to provide the power needed to run
    > more than one or two external USB devices. Use an externally powered USB
    > hub if you want to add USB devices to any e-machines computer. It'll
    > save you the cost of having to replace your power supply - about $125 at
    > my shop.
    >
    > Good luck

  9. I to had this problem, if u uninstall the USB drivers (control panel, system, hardware, device manager) then turn the computer of and on, then plug the USB devices in 1 at a time, they will automaticly be reinstalled and you will probably find that 1 of the USB ports won't work and will freeze up your computer, don't plug anything into this plug and plug the powerd hub into a differant port.

    hope it works
    Xx
  10. i have the same problem...few days ago...star with ipod drives...now i cant conet any usb....i have a compaq presario v2000 windows7 and windows xp pro on the same machine....for chure i know its not a OS or drive problem cause it happened on both OS..when i disable "host from pci to usb" drive and leave the others on...it works but dont reconice what i plug in....

Computers USB Windows XP