Power supply for Dimension 8300 in UK

A friend's son's 15 month old Dimension 8300 power supply has failed. A
slight red herring was that the LED on the motherboard lit up so I suspected
maybe the switch was faulty. That took a lot of dismantling to discover it
was fine. Connected up a spare 500W standard power supply that I had lying
around and it worked fine so it's obvious what's wrong.

But when I came to screw the PSU into the case I discovered that the power
connector is in a different place. Nice one Dell! Upon searching Google I
realise that this is a known "problem" :-)

We haven't managed to get hold of Dell sales yet (don't open weekends) but
I'm going to bet that the official Dell replacement is considerably more
expensive than a standard 300W PSU (~£15). After all, why go to all the
trouble of taking a standard PSU and making it incompatable if not to
increase revenue...

Are there any 3rd parties in the UK that sell Dimension power supplies?

Thanks, Rob.
1 answer Last reply
More about power supply dimension 8300

    I would push Dell to replace the power supply under warranty. Ask to
    speak to a manager and stress how you like Dell and purchased the
    higher end model in the belief that it would be more durable etc..

    Wayne

    Rob Nicholson wrote:

    > A friend's son's 15 month old Dimension 8300 power supply has failed.
    > A slight red herring was that the LED on the motherboard lit up so I
    > suspected maybe the switch was faulty. That took a lot of dismantling
    > to discover it was fine. Connected up a spare 500W standard power
    > supply that I had lying around and it worked fine so it's obvious
    > what's wrong.
    >
    > But when I came to screw the PSU into the case I discovered that the
    > power connector is in a different place. Nice one Dell! Upon
    > searching Google I realise that this is a known "problem" :-)
    >
    > We haven't managed to get hold of Dell sales yet (don't open
    > weekends) but I'm going to bet that the official Dell replacement is
    > considerably more expensive than a standard 300W PSU (~#15). After
    > all, why go to all the trouble of taking a standard PSU and making it
    > incompatable if not to increase revenue...
    >
    > Are there any 3rd parties in the UK that sell Dimension power
    > supplies?
    >
    > Thanks, Rob.

Dell Power Supplies Dimension Computers