DVD+R, -R not reconised by explorer

Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When I
insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there are 0
bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the drive
changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables (the
wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the drive
changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD writer. the
problem remained the same.

I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2

Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this problem in
all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els I can
do.

peter

XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When I
> insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there are 0
> bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
> drive
> changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
> (the
> wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
> drive
> changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD writer.
> the
> problem remained the same.
>
> I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
>
> Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this problem
> in
> all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els I
> can
> do.

Hi Peter,

I forgot to say that I have Nero 6, DVD decryptor, D.I.K.O., DVDshrink
andDVDx. I used to be able to burn to the same DVDs as the ones I am using
now.

my problem is the same as described by CTORO on 2/10/2005 with subject: XP
does not reconize blank DVD. Unfortunately the problem was never solved.
Others suggest that it is a hardware problem. But I bought a new DVD double
layer writer today and I don't think that I bought a broken "Class 1" laser
unit.

please I would really like to solve this problem. Can one uninstall SP 2?

"Peter" wrote:

> XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
> install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
> P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
> "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When I
> > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there are 0
> > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
> > drive
> > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
> > (the
> > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
> > drive
> > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD writer.
> > the
> > problem remained the same.
> >
> > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
> >
> > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this problem
> > in
> > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els I
> > can
> > do.

peter

There's no need to uninstall SP2 as I don't think it's anything to with that
particular entity.
I just replaced my old LG CDRW with a Samsung CDRW/DVDROM Combo and my
DVDROM drive with a Samsung DVDRW DL and they both came with an installation
CD. Did yours have an installation disk? I had to ununstall one of mine
and do it over to get it to work. I also had to go into My
Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager and click on the appropriate
header and do a "scan for hardware changes".
If I spot something I've missed I'll get back to you.

--
> Hi Peter,
>
> I forgot to say that I have Nero 6, DVD decryptor, D.I.K.O., DVDshrink
> andDVDx. I used to be able to burn to the same DVDs as the ones I am using
> now.
>
> my problem is the same as described by CTORO on 2/10/2005 with subject: XP
> does not reconize blank DVD. Unfortunately the problem was never solved.
> Others suggest that it is a hardware problem. But I bought a new DVD
> double
> layer writer today and I don't think that I bought a broken "Class 1"
> laser
> unit.
>
> please I would really like to solve this problem. Can one uninstall SP 2?
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
>> install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
>> P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
>> "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When
>> > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there
>> > are 0
>> > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
>> > drive
>> > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
>> > (the
>> > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
>> > drive
>> > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD
>> > writer.
>> > the
>> > problem remained the same.
>> >
>> > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this
>> > problem
>> > in
>> > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els
>> > can
>> > do.

peter

P.S. Good group for this problem is http://club.cdfreaks.com/ or
http://forums.techguy.org/

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
"MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> I forgot to say that I have Nero 6, DVD decryptor, D.I.K.O., DVDshrink
> andDVDx. I used to be able to burn to the same DVDs as the ones I am using
> now.
>
> my problem is the same as described by CTORO on 2/10/2005 with subject: XP
> does not reconize blank DVD. Unfortunately the problem was never solved.
> Others suggest that it is a hardware problem. But I bought a new DVD
> double
> layer writer today and I don't think that I bought a broken "Class 1"
> laser
> unit.
>
> please I would really like to solve this problem. Can one uninstall SP 2?
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
>> install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
>> P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
>> "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When
>> > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there
>> > are 0
>> > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
>> > drive
>> > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
>> > (the
>> > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
>> > drive
>> > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD
>> > writer.
>> > the
>> > problem remained the same.
>> >
>> > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this
>> > problem
>> > in
>> > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els
>> > can
>> > do.

peter

Another thought..right-click Mr Computer..go to Hardware/Device Manager
under IDE ATA/ATAPI devices right-click Primary and Secondary IDE channels
and go to Advanced make sure the transfer mode is "DMA if available"

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
"MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> I forgot to say that I have Nero 6, DVD decryptor, D.I.K.O., DVDshrink
> andDVDx. I used to be able to burn to the same DVDs as the ones I am using
> now.
>
> my problem is the same as described by CTORO on 2/10/2005 with subject: XP
> does not reconize blank DVD. Unfortunately the problem was never solved.
> Others suggest that it is a hardware problem. But I bought a new DVD
> double
> layer writer today and I don't think that I bought a broken "Class 1"
> laser
> unit.
>
> please I would really like to solve this problem. Can one uninstall SP 2?
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
>> install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
>> P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
>> "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When
>> > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there
>> > are 0
>> > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
>> > drive
>> > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
>> > (the
>> > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
>> > drive
>> > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD
>> > writer.
>> > the
>> > problem remained the same.
>> >
>> > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this
>> > problem
>> > in
>> > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els
>> > can
>> > do.

peter

Also make sure that the drive(s) are assigned letters in Disk management.