DVD+R, -R not reconised by explorer

Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When I
insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there are 0
bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the drive
changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables (the
wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the drive
changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD writer. the
problem remained the same.

I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2

Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this problem in
all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els I can
do.
6 answers Last reply
More about reconised explorer

    XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
    install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When I
    > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there are 0
    > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
    > drive
    > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
    > (the
    > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
    > drive
    > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD writer.
    > the
    > problem remained the same.
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
    >
    > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this problem
    > in
    > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els I
    > can
    > do.

    Hi Peter,

    I forgot to say that I have Nero 6, DVD decryptor, D.I.K.O., DVDshrink
    andDVDx. I used to be able to burn to the same DVDs as the ones I am using
    now.

    my problem is the same as described by CTORO on 2/10/2005 with subject: XP
    does not reconize blank DVD. Unfortunately the problem was never solved.
    Others suggest that it is a hardware problem. But I bought a new DVD double
    layer writer today and I don't think that I bought a broken "Class 1" laser
    unit.

    please I would really like to solve this problem. Can one uninstall SP 2?

    "Peter" wrote:

    > XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
    > install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
    > P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
    > "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When I
    > > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there are 0
    > > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
    > > drive
    > > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
    > > (the
    > > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
    > > drive
    > > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD writer.
    > > the
    > > problem remained the same.
    > >
    > > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this problem
    > > in
    > > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els I
    > > can
    > > do.

    There's no need to uninstall SP2 as I don't think it's anything to with that
    particular entity.
    I just replaced my old LG CDRW with a Samsung CDRW/DVDROM Combo and my
    DVDROM drive with a Samsung DVDRW DL and they both came with an installation
    CD. Did yours have an installation disk? I had to ununstall one of mine
    and do it over to get it to work. I also had to go into My
    Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager and click on the appropriate
    header and do a "scan for hardware changes".
    If I spot something I've missed I'll get back to you.

    --

    P.S. Good group for this problem is http://club.cdfreaks.com/ or
    http://forums.techguy.org/

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
    P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
    "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I forgot to say that I have Nero 6, DVD decryptor, D.I.K.O., DVDshrink
    > andDVDx. I used to be able to burn to the same DVDs as the ones I am using
    > now.
    >
    > my problem is the same as described by CTORO on 2/10/2005 with subject: XP
    > does not reconize blank DVD. Unfortunately the problem was never solved.
    > Others suggest that it is a hardware problem. But I bought a new DVD
    > double
    > layer writer today and I don't think that I bought a broken "Class 1"
    > laser
    > unit.
    >
    > please I would really like to solve this problem. Can one uninstall SP 2?
    >

    > "Peter" wrote:
    >
    >> XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
    >> install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter
    >> Toronto, Canada
    >> XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
    >> P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
    >> "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When
    >> > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there
    >> > are 0
    >> > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
    >> > drive
    >> > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
    >> > (the
    >> > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
    >> > drive
    >> > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD
    >> > writer.
    >> > the
    >> > problem remained the same.
    >> >
    >> > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this
    >> > problem
    >> > in
    >> > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els
    >> > can
    >> > do.

    Another thought..right-click Mr Computer..go to Hardware/Device Manager
    under IDE ATA/ATAPI devices right-click Primary and Secondary IDE channels
    and go to Advanced make sure the transfer mode is "DMA if available"

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
    P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
    "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I forgot to say that I have Nero 6, DVD decryptor, D.I.K.O., DVDshrink
    > andDVDx. I used to be able to burn to the same DVDs as the ones I am using
    > now.
    >
    > my problem is the same as described by CTORO on 2/10/2005 with subject: XP
    > does not reconize blank DVD. Unfortunately the problem was never solved.
    > Others suggest that it is a hardware problem. But I bought a new DVD
    > double
    > layer writer today and I don't think that I bought a broken "Class 1"
    > laser
    > unit.
    >
    > please I would really like to solve this problem. Can one uninstall SP 2?
    >

    > "Peter" wrote:
    >
    >> XP doesn't have built in DVD support at all. You probably need to
    >> install/reinstall DVD software and/or your drive's drivers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter
    >> Toronto, Canada
    >> XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
    >> P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
    >> "MBselect" <MBselect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Since a two months, I lost the ability to work with DVDs on my PC. When
    >> > insert a DVD+R into my Sony DVD writer, explorer tells me that there
    >> > are 0
    >> > bites on the disk and 0 bites available. Besides that, in explorer the
    >> > drive
    >> > changes from a DVD RW to a CD RW device. I have changed all the cables
    >> > (the
    >> > wide wires that go to the IDE connection. even in the boot options the
    >> > drive
    >> > changes from a dvd drive to a cd drive. I even bought an new DVD
    >> > writer.
    >> > the
    >> > problem remained the same.
    >> >
    >> > I'm using Windows XP HOME SP2
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help, I haven't found anything usefull about this
    >> > problem
    >> > in
    >> > all discussion groups or user groups, but I haven't got a clue what els
    >> > can
    >> > do.

    Also make sure that the drive(s) are assigned letters in Disk management.

    --

Explorer DVD Writers Windows XP