Deleted Display Adapters - Blank screen on Boot

Hi I have a problme with my nephews PC.

He accidently deleted both of the display adapters (one for the ECS
mobo on board S3 graphics and one for the AGP ATI 8500DV card), now
when he tries to reboot after the XP home logo displays the screen goes
blank, I think the machine is booting but I cant see anything on the
screen.

I have tried removing the ATI card but it makes no difference.

I cant boot in any of the advanced ways either (safe mode, last known
good, VGA etc), they all lead to the same position.

Is there a way of recovering from this situation?

Is it possible to edit the rgistry from another computer?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about deleted display adapters blank screen boot

    When you delete the display adaptors and reboot, Windows uses a set of
    default drivers to display a basic display.

    I'd suggest performing a repair install of XP using this method:

    "wadbanage@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > Hi I have a problme with my nephews PC.
    >
    > He accidently deleted both of the display adapters (one for the ECS
    > mobo on board S3 graphics and one for the AGP ATI 8500DV card), now
    > when he tries to reboot after the XP home logo displays the screen goes
    > blank, I think the machine is booting but I cant see anything on the
    > screen.
    >
    > I have tried removing the ATI card but it makes no difference.
    >
    > I cant boot in any of the advanced ways either (safe mode, last known
    > good, VGA etc), they all lead to the same position.
    >
    > Is there a way of recovering from this situation?
    >
    > Is it possible to edit the rgistry from another computer?
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    As we know, Windows normally will try to install drivers automatically
    for what it sees as new (i.e. "driverless") devices. I cannot imagine
    why this is not occurring in this case. I would try changing the status
    (enable > disable or vice versa) of the on-board graphics in the BIOS
    to see if it somehow makes a difference.

    usasma, Thanks for this suggestion, I tried the first option but there
    was no repair option. I dont want to go into the other options if there
    is an easier way.

    bxf, yes I thought that as well however it does not seem to work, I
    always get a blank screen !

    Is there anyway af accessing the registry from a separate PC? via the
    network or of changing the XP settings by putting the hard disk into
    another PC.

    OK, here's something that perhaps you can try if you can get yourself
    to a DOS prompt:

    (from C:\ Prompt) %systemroot%/system32/restore/­rstui.exe

    This is a way of invoking System Restore from the DOS prompt, but I
    don't know if your screen will show anything at this stage. If yes,
    then you may be able to restore from an appropriate Restore Point.

    Good luck.

Windows XP Displays