Why do the XP machines in the lab take over 2 minutes to "..

Sam

Hello,

I got permission to run my code overnight on the XP machines at the pc lab.
My code is using about 50% of the CPU's capacity, and I can see that there
is plenty of remaining RAM. However, once the screensaver sets in, and I
press the space bar, it takes over 2 minutes for the machine to "wake up"
from the screensaver mode. I haven't seen anything like that on Windows 2000
machines running my code. What could be the problem?

Thank you!

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I got permission to run my code overnight on the XP machines at the pc
> lab.
> My code is using about 50% of the CPU's capacity, and I can see that
> there
> is plenty of remaining RAM. However, once the screensaver sets in,
> and I
> press the space bar, it takes over 2 minutes for the machine to "wake
> up"
> from the screensaver mode. I haven't seen anything like that on
> Windows 2000
> machines running my code. What could be the problem?
>
> Thank you!

Have you tried disabling Standby mode in Power Options? Maybe when your
screensaver kicks in is the same interval you specified for the host to
go into Standby mode, so you are having to bring the host out of
low-power mode. Hopefully it isn't Hibernate mode that is enabled and
kicking in because then you are coming out of an even lower-power mode
(the computer is actually off).

Are you using the blank screensaver or the "Windows logo" screensaver
(that bounces the logo around the screen)? Don't be using the 3D
screensavers, just the simple ones.

For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.