win2k in LAN situations

G

Greets all, i have switched to Win2k for the stability, and reliably, as well as efficient memory management. I have done this after my Win98SE OS was corrupted. I was always a fan of 2k but found 98 being nice for games and LANing situations... Anyway to my point.

When going to the LANs with 300 people plus or eve 20 people with various computers most are still running win98SE. They cant access me on the network. I have read up some info and did some testing. To fix this i add the computer name that wants to access me into my USERS and give them Guest permission etc etc. blah bla. It's all well and good if you add one or 2 people. But not all 300

Is there any way at all, that i can grant Read access or whatever to folders on my 2000 system without adding in every computer into my users list?

I tried setting Access Precision as Everyone, and other options as well. But it never seems to work, if i don’t add the computer to my USERS list.

No 1 has been able to answer this question when i asked.. some say I don’t think u can cos it's a business management OS and uses domains and particular users which must be added. Others say they thought there was a way.

Could some 1 clear this up. I have lots of files other people need at many LANs i go but i don’t feel like adding everyone in manually.

"This message has been printed on 100% recycled Pixels, Keep your system Beautiful, Recycle"

G

First of all, Win98 is FAT or FAT32. If you have Win2k setup as NTFS, which it seems you may, FAT or FAT32 cannot see or access an NTFS partition. NTFS partitions can see and access the reverse however. Also, in setting NTFS permissions, file permissions overule folder permissions and deny overules all permissions.

G

He is talking about having clients view his volumes over a network, not from another drive on the computer. If you are using an OS such as Win9x which can at best read FAT32 partitions then this would apply. Howerver, the format of the volume would be transparent over a network since the information is being transmitted via TCP/IP packets (most likely). A OS like Win9x will have no problem viewing the contents of an NTFS volume over a network assuming it has the proper permissions to view that volume.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have run into this aswell. There is a way to share folders and still have win98 users access it. I dont remember exactly how it is done. Stupid Microsoft made it very difficult to access a Win2k Pro machine from a win98 machine without everybody logging into a central NT based server. Once everybody is on a domain then its easy. However there is a way for a win98 user to access folders that are shared on a win2k machine. I just dont remember how, i had to back in december because my friends machine was win2k and i had win98se, it worked some how.

A mime is a great this to waste! :lol:

G

Raaa DUDE please try to remember how to let people access my files without me adding them into the users on my computer... VERY important. PLEASE.

to the other Felas. I have 1 hard drive with win2k Pro, running FAT32 partition. The problem is accessing the computer by a windows 98 box. If i havent added the that particulat 98PC to my users list (guests etc) then they cant view my files it. they can see my computer but when they click on it to look inside a messge box pops up with a $IPC password (i cant remember exactly if it's IPC)

the point is no 1 can access the machine without me adding them to my users list.

Kal326 knows exactly what i am on about... i REALLY hope he remembers how to fix this

"This message has been printed on 100% recycled Pixels, Keep your system Beautiful, Recycle"

G

Keep in mind if your using W2KPro only 10 clients can be logged on to it and sharing files, anything more needs W2k Server

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
K, well the Win2k partion was an NTFS one so i dont know if that will affect anything. However my current machine has a dual boot of Win2k and Win98 on two differant partions, and I can still access both partions under win2k remotely using "\\kryptonite\c$" for the win98 partion on a nt4 or win2k machine. Wait, i think i just remembered how to access the folders one a win2k machine. It has something to do with how you try to call the folder. By default win2k shares all hard drives under something called IPC$. You get this prompt with you try and log into a machine on a win98 box. So if you tried to log into a machine called "Box1" on a win98 machine and just typed "\\box1" i would get a prompt like, "\\box1\ipc$" and it would ask for a password. Another note, my roommate has a WinME machine. If i use my username and password for my Win2k account to log onto his WinME machine I can access everything on my Win2k machine. K, got it. Have everbody log onto their own machine(win98 box) as Guest(or some other general account name that you create) with no password(or the password that you have for the created acount). Then anything that you want shared you have to manually share with right clicking on the folder and going to sharing. But once that is done you can log on to a WinME(and Win98 machine because the share the same craptastic networking) as a guest and access any manually shared file on a Win2k machine. No disclaimer time, my Win2k is installed onto a NTFS partition and I accessed it remotely on a WinME machine, but this should all work with your FAT32 partition with Win2k and a win98 box. However, this is not the way that I did it originally(I think i just kept pouding away at the win2k machine with the machine name and folder, aka \\machinename\foldername and it finally went threw), but hey it works. Crappy WinME(win98) networking doesnt ask for a username, just a password. This tends to screw things up if the username that the person used to log onto the win98 box is not listed in the users on the Win2k machine. But there you have it, have fun, hope it works.

A mime is a great thing to waste! :lol:

G

Ahhh yes the All windows98 users log in on your computers as Guest trick.

Still a problem. People complain that they have to change. SO i take it there is no way of people accessing my machine IF

they are not on my users list (on my win2k box)
OR
They are not loged in as a common user name (on their 98 pc's) for all 2k machines (eg Guest)

Am i correct?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes everyone has to log in.

Also Win2000pro only lets a certain number of people (20 I think) log in at the same time. You need Win2000server for more.

- JW

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Basically it boils downt to this. They have to use a user name and password to log into Win98 that is on the user list of the win2k pro machine. Thats the only way i have found for it to work.

A mime is a great thing to waste! :lol:

G

Thank you all, all my questions have been answeared. I have told all the people at the lan to make their Default Login names (on 98SE's systems) as guests.

this is nice because it's a common 2k account, and i have all these great functions to restrickt or allow access.

thanks all for your input