IE6 different behavior under accounts on same PC

aGuy

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

Hi,

I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The
memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!

I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message that a
newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation cannot
continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0 as
documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
reinstall IE.

It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I
would appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run IE
again.

Thanks.

aguy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
> "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
> instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The
> memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.
>
> Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!
>
> I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message that a
> newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation cannot
> continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0 as
> documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
> reinstall IE.
>
> It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I
> would appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run IE
> again.
>
> Thanks.
I should mention that I have run SFC and it did not find any error (or
fixed errors). IE still does not run.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

[Newsgroup 24hrsupport.helpdesk removed- would not resolve]

Hi,

Another program (possibly malware) is probably causing this problem. Malware
can affect only some user accounts.

See these sites for help.
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.
Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"aguy" <nospamab[at]nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
> "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
> instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The
> memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.
>
> Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!
>
> I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message that a
> newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation cannot
> continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0 as
> documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
> reinstall IE.
>
> It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I
> would appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run IE
> again.
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

i have seen this before, my solution was to download and use thunderbird.
Theres a few OE recovery tools around for download, you could rename the
store folder or create a new one. it might simply be a corrupt email in one
of your folders.

Aart Jansen wrote:
> i have seen this before, my solution was to download and use thunderbird.
> Theres a few OE recovery tools around for download, you could rename the
> store folder or create a new one. it might simply be a corrupt email in one
> of your folders.
> "aguy" <nospamab@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am stuck with a weird problem: running IE6 is giving me an error
>>"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
>>sorry for the inconvenience." Then this dialog box pops up "The
>>instruction at "0x01be4213" referenced memory at "0x0156ad58". The memory
>>could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.
>>
>>Now, under another profile, IE runs fine!
>>
>>I have tried to reinstall but I keep on getting the error message that a
>>newer version of IE has been installed hence the installation cannot
>>continue. I changed the registry value of a field from 1 to 0 as
>>documented in microsofts troubleshooting guide but I still cannot
>>reinstall IE.
>>
>>It seems to me that there is some problem in one of the profiles. I would
>>appreciate if anyone can help me locate the bug and help me run IE again.
>>
>>Thanks.

the good new is that I have been able to fix the problem. I had a hunch
that a BHO (spoofguard) was crashing IE. I removed it and I can run IE!

TRENDING THREADS