Can't Run SFC on New Dell 8400 Media

..
I have a new Dell Dim 8400 Media system.

I have been trying to run SFC on for the 3 weeks I have had this unit.
There seems to be no way to do it.

First I had to request Dell to send me the cd's, they no longer send them??

Next I ran SFC again, and when it asked me to insert cd 2, I inserted the
one and only DVD that Dell gives you. The error message will not go away and
SFC will not complete it's cycle.

I then was instructed to copy i386 folder from the DVD to it's own folder on
drive C:\. That did not work either.

I have always found SFC to be a great maintenance tool, and I can not
understand not being able to use it any longer???

Does anyone have an answer?
3 answers Last reply
More about dell 8400 media

    I just checked on my brand new 4700 and there is no System File Checker
    utility. Instead, at Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System
    Information>Tools Tab I have something called File Signature Verification
    Utility.

    Is your 8400 the same?

    Dell does not now ship Windows CD's with their systems. I simply phoned
    Dell Technical Support and they had my disks, I have an Inspiron 9300 as
    well, on my desk in three days. At no charge.

    Kevin wrote:
    > Dell does not now ship Windows CD's with their systems.

    Or rather, Dell does not offer the CD's with the consumer line of
    systems (Inspiron & Dimension); the Latitude, Optiplex, and Precision
    are all still offered with media.

    > I simply phoned Dell Technical Support and they had my disks, I have an
    > Inspiron 9300 as well, on my desk in three days. At no charge.

    Systems ordered with an optical media recorder (CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW) give
    you an option to burn an install disk (Start -> Programs -> Dell
    Accessories -> Dell OS Recovery CD). I do commend Dell for offering to
    ship CD's free of charge.

    R wrote:
    > .
    > I have a new Dell Dim 8400 Media system.
    >
    > I have been trying to run SFC on for the 3 weeks I have had this unit.
    > There seems to be no way to do it.
    >
    > First I had to request Dell to send me the cd's, they no longer send
    > them??
    > Next I ran SFC again, and when it asked me to insert cd 2, I inserted
    > the one and only DVD that Dell gives you. The error message will not
    > go away and SFC will not complete it's cycle.
    >
    > I then was instructed to copy i386 folder from the DVD to it's own
    > folder on drive C:\. That did not work either.
    >
    > I have always found SFC to be a great maintenance tool, and I can not
    > understand not being able to use it any longer???
    >
    > Does anyone have an answer?

    When you copy the i386 folder to the Windows directory, you also need to
    make a registry edit to "inform" XP where the install files are located.
    Check this site for detailed information on running sfc /scannow from a
    command prompt:

    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Dell Error Message CD-Rom Computers