Wireless LinkSys - very newbie questions...please help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 6, 2004 6:53:04 PM

Hopefully someone with a lot of patience can answer me on this newsgroup.
I've tried to find the answers in the written instructions and install disk
but keep getting lost. Below is my info [probably more than you need but I'm
not sure what is needed]...

A few months ago, I bought a LinkSys Wirelss-G Broadband Router with 4 ports
in the background.
I have a RoadRunner cable connection. I connected the incoming RoadRunner
cable into the router as instructed. Then connected my main PC by hard cable
to the back of the router using one of the four connections. The internet
connection on my computer works just like it always did thru the cable [I
installed nothing of LinkSys on my computer and a search of my system shows
no LinkSys components].

? - am I correct that I'm not broadcasting anything from my machine as it's
connected by a cable to the router and the router by cable to RoadRunner - ?

I bought a LinkSys Wireless-G USB adaptor [2.4 gig] for my wife's computer.
Applied the setup disk to her computer, started it up and she connects with
a notation of very good signal strength. Her computer is one room/wall away
from the router. The router is next to my computer in a second floor room of
our single family house that is about 60-70 feet back from the road and
about 30 feet apart from the houses on each side and 300 feet from the
nearest road in the back.. I didn't apply any security measures at the time
[except that both computers have NAV and NIS 2003 and her computer notes
that NIS is protecting her wireless connection].

Now I read in the paper about hackers driving by and connecting to and
stealing access, etc. from this type of set up. I went back thru the
instructions on the setup disk but am really confused. If I double click on
her systray icon, I get a box with "Wireless Network Connection Properties"
and Tabs for 'General', 'Wireless Networks' and 'Advanced' and various
options under each tab.

Can someone with this LinkSys please tell me or walk me thru what should and
shouldn't be checked for getting the security correct for these options? The
sole purpose of the LinkSys router and adaptor is to allow my wife's
computer access to our RoadRunner internet connection [not for an in-home
network, printer or file sharing of any kind between any of the computers in
our house].

It really concerns me that someone could hack into my internet connection,
or computer the way I may have it set up now. Thanks so much to anyone
taking the time to help.

dpm
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 6, 2004 9:12:22 PM

Let's start from the beginning: (1) Detach the network cable that is
originally connected to the cable modem and set it aside. (2) Grab the
network cable that came with your router. (3) Connect one end of that
cable to the WAN port of the router and connect the other end to the
back of the cable modem. Now connect the original network cable (the
one that is still attached to the back of your desktop PC and was
originally connected to the cable modem) to one of the four LAN ports
on the router. At this point, turn on the cable modem, router and
desktop PC if they're not already on. Double click on your internet
browser and type in the router's IP address. (192.168.0.1 or a
variation of this). If you see the router's menu, you are connected
correctly. Make the necessary changes in the menu. I recommend
changing the default logon name and password to something you create.
Change the default SSID (Linksys) to whatever you like. Furthermore,
I recommend that you change the router's IP address from 192.168.0.1
or whatever it is defaulted at to something like 192.168.50.233 or any
variation you like. Keep in mind that the 192.168 portion remain
intact, however, the last six number can be anything from 0 to 255.
Finally, I recommend that you enable WEP or WPA as well as MAC
filtering. All hackers are aware of the default settings of routers
and they know that most wireless users do not enable encryption or
change the logon name and password. You stated that you're concerned
about people hacking into your network. Unless you are sharing files
and printers, the drive by hackers (wardrivers) will only be able to
use your internet access. In other words, they'll just be surfing the
internet for free at your expense. Why make it easy for them?
Anyway, I hope this tidbit answers your questions or concerns.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:53:04 GMT, "dpm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hopefully someone with a lot of patience can answer me on this newsgroup.
>I've tried to find the answers in the written instructions and install disk
>but keep getting lost. Below is my info [probably more than you need but I'm
>not sure what is needed]...
>
>A few months ago, I bought a LinkSys Wirelss-G Broadband Router with 4 ports
>in the background.
>I have a RoadRunner cable connection. I connected the incoming RoadRunner
>cable into the router as instructed. Then connected my main PC by hard cable
>to the back of the router using one of the four connections. The internet
>connection on my computer works just like it always did thru the cable [I
>installed nothing of LinkSys on my computer and a search of my system shows
>no LinkSys components].
>
>? - am I correct that I'm not broadcasting anything from my machine as it's
>connected by a cable to the router and the router by cable to RoadRunner - ?
>
>I bought a LinkSys Wireless-G USB adaptor [2.4 gig] for my wife's computer.
>Applied the setup disk to her computer, started it up and she connects with
>a notation of very good signal strength. Her computer is one room/wall away
>from the router. The router is next to my computer in a second floor room of
>our single family house that is about 60-70 feet back from the road and
>about 30 feet apart from the houses on each side and 300 feet from the
>nearest road in the back.. I didn't apply any security measures at the time
>[except that both computers have NAV and NIS 2003 and her computer notes
>that NIS is protecting her wireless connection].
>
>Now I read in the paper about hackers driving by and connecting to and
>stealing access, etc. from this type of set up. I went back thru the
>instructions on the setup disk but am really confused. If I double click on
>her systray icon, I get a box with "Wireless Network Connection Properties"
>and Tabs for 'General', 'Wireless Networks' and 'Advanced' and various
>options under each tab.
>
>Can someone with this LinkSys please tell me or walk me thru what should and
>shouldn't be checked for getting the security correct for these options? The
>sole purpose of the LinkSys router and adaptor is to allow my wife's
>computer access to our RoadRunner internet connection [not for an in-home
>network, printer or file sharing of any kind between any of the computers in
>our house].
>
>It really concerns me that someone could hack into my internet connection,
>or computer the way I may have it set up now. Thanks so much to anyone
>taking the time to help.
>
>dpm

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 7, 2004 1:32:22 AM

Please see my comments below. It looks like I have to go a different route
or more than likely I didn't explain my question/concern very well.

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Let's start from the beginning: (1) Detach the network cable that is
> originally connected to the cable modem and set it aside. (2) Grab the
> network cable that came with your router. (3) Connect one end of that
> cable to the WAN port of the router and connect the other end to the
> back of the cable modem. Now connect the original network cable (the
> one that is still attached to the back of your desktop PC and was
> originally connected to the cable modem) to one of the four LAN ports
> on the router. At this point, turn on the cable modem, router and
> desktop PC if they're not already on.

I have an older motorola roadrunner cable modem. The RoadRunner connection
cable comes from the wall and screws directly into the box [one prong goes
into the connector hole in the back of the modem and then you tighten it
up - it's not a 'phone/cable' jack kind of connection]. So the cable from
the wall can only go into the cable box itself - not directly to the router.

Then a connection cable [phone jack type] goes from the back of the cable
modem to the connection marked 'internet' on the Router. Then a cable
connection goes from the first LAN port on the router to the back of my PC.
The internet connection works fine on my PC but the LinkSys WLAN monitor
control in my systray says I'm not connected to the wireless network ['no
association with access point'' is what it says]. Which is fine with me as I
don't want to 'broadcast' a connection to my desktop.

My wife's system has the USB LinkSys adaptor on her desktop in another room.
She gets email access, internet, etc. thru the same roadrunner account I
have but thru the wireless. She has a LinkSys Monitor window I can access
from her systray that comes up in a box titled 'Wireless Network Connection
Properties'. The box gives me info on the router [address type; IP address;
subnet mask; and default gateway] and a Properties tab that lets me set
options in Tabs called 'General' [such as whether to be using 'client for
microsoft networks' or 'QoS Packer Scheduler', etc]; 'Wireless Network'
[where the SSID name is (here is where I find the network name 'linksys'
that you mention) and check boxes for encryption; and 'Advanced' with even
more options. I'm lost.

Basically, I think our NAV and NIS on each separate computer will keep out
any hackers wanting to get into my computer or my wife's computer. My
concern is someone being able to use my internet connection [and as I
understand it - it would look like anything done or accessed would be from
my account] as it's being broadcast from the router to the adaptor on my
wife's computer, etc. I had hoped someone might be able to open the LinkSys
monitor on a computer with a USB adaptor like my wife has and let me know
what options and settings I should have on these to make sure someone can't
use whatever is broadcast back and forth from the router to the adaptor. Or
maybe I'm even more confused than I think I am, am have explained this
really poorly.

> [...]
Properties"
> >and Tabs for 'General', 'Wireless Networks' and 'Advanced' and various
> >options under each tab.
> >
> >Can someone with this LinkSys please tell me or walk me thru what should
and
> >shouldn't be checked for getting the security correct for these options?
The
> >sole purpose of the LinkSys router and adaptor is to allow my wife's
> >computer access to our RoadRunner internet connection [not for an in-home
> >network, printer or file sharing of any kind between any of the computers
in
> >our house].
> >
> >It really concerns me that someone could hack into my internet
connection,
> >or computer the way I may have it set up now. Thanks so much to anyone

a b F Wireless
June 7, 2004 2:28:17 AM

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:32:22 GMT, "dpm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

<snipped>
>I have an older motorola roadrunner cable modem. The RoadRunner connection
>cable comes from the wall and screws directly into the box [one prong goes
>into the connector hole in the back of the modem and then you tighten it
>up - it's not a 'phone/cable' jack kind of connection]. So the cable from
>the wall can only go into the cable box itself - not directly to the router.
>Then a connection cable [phone jack type] goes from the back of the cable
>modem to the connection marked 'internet' on the Router. Then a cable
>connection goes from the first LAN port on the router to the back of my PC.

I understood the above. I thought I was just reiterating.

>The internet connection works fine on my PC but the LinkSys WLAN monitor
>control in my systray says I'm not connected to the wireless network ['no
>association with access point'' is what it says]. Which is fine with me as I
>don't want to 'broadcast' a connection to my desktop.

This is where I am confused. Do you have both a LAN adapter AND a
wireless PC card connected to YOUR PC?

Can you access your wireless router's menu? Is your wireless card
configured to access your wireless router? Are you using the windows
xp wireless zero configuration or the pc card's configuration utility?
These questions must be answered in order for anyone here to correctly
help you. We can assume all day, but it is best to just know. The
configuration info you see on your wife's PC is exactly what you
should see on yours.

> [...]
>Properties"
>> >and Tabs for 'General', 'Wireless Networks' and 'Advanced' and various
>> >options under each tab.
>> >
>> >Can someone with this LinkSys please tell me or walk me thru what should
>and
>> >shouldn't be checked for getting the security correct for these options?
>The
>> >sole purpose of the LinkSys router and adaptor is to allow my wife's
>> >computer access to our RoadRunner internet connection [not for an in-home
>> >network, printer or file sharing of any kind between any of the computers
>in
>> >our house].
>> >
>> >It really concerns me that someone could hack into my internet
>connection,
>> >or computer the way I may have it set up now. Thanks so much to anyone

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 7, 2004 5:47:52 AM

> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:32:22 GMT, "dpm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> This is where I am confused. Do you have both a LAN adapter AND a
> wireless PC card connected to YOUR PC?

To my PC, no. My PC was already set up with the cable modem for RoadRunner
and IE set to automatically detect LAN settings. When I got the LinkSys
Router, it was only to give my wife's PC access to my RoadRunner connection.
I did not install any of the LinkSys software [except the systray monitor
which confirms my PC is not 'connected' to the Router - I'd call it a pass
thru connection with the RR cable going to the modem, modem to router,
instead of directly to my computer as it did before I got the Router], and
then a cable from one of the ports in the back of the router to my PC. My
initial RR connection, IP address, etc. did not change. The only software
added was to my wife's computer which was the Linksys USB Network adaptor
install from the disk that came with the adaptor. I installed that software
[which is what added the LinkSys monitor I explained about in the prior
posts to her systray]. Plugged the USB adaptor into one of her computer's
USB ports and she had an internet connection as easy as that [IE has nothing
checked to autodetect LAN settings like it does on my computer - when I
double click on the LinkSys monitor on her computer, it is set to have
windows automatically configure the wireless settings and then says to
automatically connect to wireless network [which is called LinkSys]. That's
all I did [maybe I missed a few steps? but everything works.

> Can you access your wireless router's menu?

I'm not sure what you mean by menu - the only thing I can access it the
LinkSys Monitor window I can access
from her systray that comes up in a box titled 'Wireless Network Connection
Properties'. This is the window that gives me all of the choices I mentioned
below where I get lost.

> Is your wireless card
> configured to access your wireless router? Are you using the windows
> xp wireless zero configuration or the pc card's configuration utility?
> These questions must be answered in order for anyone here to correctly
> help you. We can assume all day, but it is best to just know. The
> configuration info you see on your wife's PC is exactly what you
> should see on yours.

Again, I can see nothing on my PC regarding LinkSys [except for the info
window in my systray that tells me that I've "No Association with Access
Point" - ie the router or a wireless connection [and again, my RoadRunner
connection works as it always did].

Maybe the way I've got it hooked up in the first place is what's causing the
confusion. But since the Router is sending an internet connection to my
wife's computer thru the USB adaptor, I'm assuming that connection could be
picked up and used unless I change some settings [again, everything worked
by default when I set it up as noted above - and the articles I read
indicated that security is pretty much turned off when using initial set
ups].

I didn't want to start changing the settings using the 'Wireless Network
Connection Properties' boxes from her systray unless I knew what I was
doing, but maybe this setup doesn't match what you've got. Does any of what
I see on mine and my wife's systems sound familiar to anyone? [I said in the
beginning this would take a lot of patience - little did I know <g>. Thanks
for sticking with so far and maybe I'm just out of luck the way it's set
up.]

dpm

> [...]
> >> I recommend that you change the router's IP address from 192.168.0.1
> >> or whatever it is defaulted at to something like 192.168.50.233 or any
> >> variation you like. Keep in mind that the 192.168 portion remain
> >> intact, however, the last six number can be anything from 0 to 255.
> >> Finally, I recommend that you enable WEP or WPA as well as MAC
> >> filtering. All hackers are aware of the default settings of routers
> >> and they know that most wireless users do not enable encryption or
> >> change the logon name and password. You stated that you're concerned
> >> about people hacking into your network. Unless you are sharing files
> >> and printers, the drive by hackers (wardrivers) will only be able to
> >> use your internet access. In other words, they'll just be surfing the
> >> internet for free at your expense. Why make it easy for them?
> >> Anyway, I hope this tidbit answers your questions or concerns.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 7, 2004 6:34:06 AM

Sir, your PC is set up correctly. Your wife's PC is able to connect
to the internet wirelessly and you are also still able to surf the
net. Correct? From your wife's computer, you are able to access the
linksys menu. I think you called it the systray monitor. Anyway,
from that menu, you can change the SSID and set encryption, etc.
Correct? From your computer, using your IE browser, if you were to
type http://192.168.1.1, what do you get? Just curious.

!