Which Detonator drivers support 32 bit z-buffer?

G

Hello to all,
I'm hoping one of the experts frequenting this forum can help me. I can't seem to find details on how and which Detonator XP drivers support a 32 bit z-buffer. Once I find which driver(s) support it, how do I enable this feature?

I first noticed while running SiSoft SANDRA that my Visiontek GeForce 3 reported having a 24 bit z-buffer instead of 32 bit. SANDRA also lists an 8 bit stencil buffer. The next time this came up was when playing Ghost Recon which also reported the availability of a 24 and 16 bit z-buffer, but 32 bit is "grayed" out. I play all games at 1280x1024x32 with a refresh rate of 85hz. I've searched many places for an answer...starting first with the GeForce FAQ site...no answer.

My card's documentation says it has a 32 bit z-buffer. I have older nVidia based cards around which also state they have 32 bit z-buffers. My conclusion, while possibly flawed, is that the drivers govern this. If this is the case, how do I enable this feature? I presently use beta 22.70 and previous to that I used official 23.11 drivers. I have tried official and beta drivers in the past, but back then I wasn't looking for a problem.

I have had no problems at all since building this system two years ago. I'm actually pretty embarrassed that I didn't notice this issue earlier, but obviously I wouldn't have been able to fix it anyway.

I'll list my system specs below, maybe that will help.

System:
Pentium 3 933mhz
Intel 815E mobo,133mhz FSB
512mb SDRAM cas2
Windows XP Home
Internet Explorer 6.0
Visiontek GeForce 3 @ 205/487 @ 1280x1024x32x85hz
Sony 20" Trinitron
Philips Acoustic Edge sound card
Altec-Lansing ADA-890 speakers
Sony MDR-600 headphones
Sony CDRW
Sony CD
Teac floppy
Maxtor 43gb 7200rpm ATA-100 hard drive
Zoom DualMode 56k modem
Microsoft Precision Pro stick
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
Belkin 4 USB powered hub
whew...that's it

I really appreciate any help you can give me...I'm lost.

Brit

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
SiSoft SANDRA is not a great app..

and

yes it has a 32bit Z-buffer. Dont let that app fool you.

I Love playing on my GameCube or PC cuz there both ATi powered... :smile:

G

I found out the answer thanks to zombie9920 at M3DZone. The Detonator drivers after the 21.xx series are set-up to display in 32 bit color, but with a 24 bit z-buffer and 8 bit stencil buffer if your hardware supports it. I have since gone back to using 21.85 and have my 32 bit z-buffer usable again. Plus, my frame-rates are higher than they were with the 23.11, etc.

As far as SANDRA goes, it is listed by PC World, PC Magazine, PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World as their preference in diagnostic applications. Since I am a subscriber to those mags and since I have owned the program the people at SiSOft have provided me with free upgrades and great support, all for $29.99. I use several apps by Mad Onion as well, for benchmarking.

I'm glad you like your consoles. I own one PS, two PS2's (one for the kid, one for me), one Gamecube, and one X-Box and yes, I like them all too. They're not PC's though. Now that Sony has released the Broadband Adapter in Japan, we're next. That should be a kick. I sold my ATI 8500 when it wouldn't play nice with my programs, but I'm glad you like your ATI card. Now...time to play a little Metal Gear Solid:Son's of Liberty

Thanks for the reply, rcf84!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
also you know that 32bit color is 24bit color with a 8bit alpha channel?

Anyway you play your metal gear cuz ill be playing Biohazard :D

G

um, the purpose an alpha channel serves is necessary regardless of depth. Read my original post and it's intent. if you would truly like to learn about some of the wild things that can be done with an alpha channel, go to www.bombs-away.net and check out the custom bomber artwork that those guys/girls have done....I digress... You're a little off topic.
Seeing that you insist on playing this out... My brother lives in Osaka. I have been playing and enjoying the world of the Biohazard series for three years.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well the redone BioHazard is only for the Cube, i seen some of them in game movies. It made the PS1 version look like atari !!!