Control Panel Duplication

I have the control panel set as a menu on my start button but now when I
open the menu every item is duplicated except folders and items with sub
menus I don't know how long this has been like this as I only use it rarely
.. My first thought was that I had a virus but my own av didn't find anything
I have also tried other av programs and nothing comes up. I have tried
removing the menu and re-installing it using the customise/advanced feature
on the start button and even using system restore to the earliest possible
date doesn't help.

Has anyone else come across this before and does anyone have a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Garry
5 answers Last reply
More about control panel duplication

    When you actually open the Control Panel, do you see duplicate icons?

    Start | Run | Type: control | Click OK

    Are you using Classic Control Panel or Category View?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23wR%23NJgsFHA.684@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Garry <Garry@home> hunted and pecked:

    > When you actually open the Control Panel, do you see duplicate icons?
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: control | Click OK
    >
    > Are you using Classic Control Panel or Category View?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes

    I've tried both classic and category view and yes there are dupe icons and
    when you open the control panel window you don't have an option to delete
    the dupes.

    Hi Garry,

    I have no idea what causes this.

    *.cpl files are Control Panel extensions, they show up in the Control Panel.

    ncpa.cpl is Network Connections. Network Connections shows up twice in my
    Classic Control Panel. I fixed this by using Group Policy.

    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
    Hide specified control panel applets

    I hid ncpa.cpl, so now I only see one Network Connections.

    Group Policy added this key.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Policies\Explorer\DisallowCpl
    Value Name: 1
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: ncpa.cpl

    -----

    You can try using TweakUI. Or if XP Pro, you can use Group Policy
    (gpedit.msc).

    TweakUI
    Control Panel
    UNCheck:  *.cpl | Apply | OK

    Control Panel
    [[This allows hide/unhide the icons that appear in “Control Panel”. Hiding
    the extension does not uninstall it and it can be executed by running that
    command at the command line.]]

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    [[The Control Panel category enables you to hide specific icons in Control
    Panel. Create a REG_SZ value in the key HKCU\Control Panel\don't load, and
    name it using the file name of the CPL file you want to hide. Set the value
    to Yes to display the icon or No to hide the icon.]]
    ===

    If XP Pro only, not with Home.
    Open Group Policy...
    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK |
    Navigate to >>>

    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
    Hide specified control panel applets

    [[Hides specified Control Panel items and folders.
    This setting removes Control Panel items (such as Display) and folders
    (such as Fonts) from the Control Panel window and the Start menu. It can
    remove Control Panel items you have added to your system, as well as Control
    Panel items included in Windows 2000.

    To hide a Control Panel item, type the file name of the item, such as
    Ncpa.cpl (for Network). To hide a folder, type the folder name, such as
    Fonts.

    This setting affects the Start menu and Control Panel window only. It does
    not prevent users from running Control Panel items.

    Also, see the "Remove Display in Control Panel" setting in User
    Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display.

    If both the "Hide specified Control Panel applets" setting and the "Show
    only specified Control Panel applets" setting are enabled, and the same item
    appears in both lists, the "Show only specified Control Panel applets"
    setting is ignored.

    Note: To find the file name of a Control Panel item, search for files with
    the .cpl file name extension in the %Systemroot%\System32 directory. Note:
    To create a list of disallowed Control Panel applets, click Show, click Add,
    and then enter the Control Panel file name (ends with .cpl) or the name
    displayed under that item in the Control Panel. (e.g., desk.cpl,
    powercfg.cpl, Printers and Faxes)

    Note: This setting does not affect the Categories that are displayed in the
    new Control Panel Category view in Windows XP. If you want to control which
    items are displayed in Control Panel, enable the "Force classic Control
    Panel Style" setting to remove the Category view, and then use this setting
    to control which .cpls are not displayed.]]

    DisallowCpl, DisallowCpl subkey
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    See, also...
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
    Show only specified control panel applets

    RestrictCpl, RestrictCpl subkey
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    You may have to experiment.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%2376cYsvsFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,

    > Hi Garry,
    >
    > I have no idea what causes this.
    >
    > *.cpl files are Control Panel extensions, they show up in the Control
    > Panel.

    Many thanks I did a search for *.cpl files and all showed including dupes
    with (2) after the file name I deleted these and everything fine now.

    Garry

    Hi Garry,

    Glad to hear that you got it fixed. :-)

    I'm curious, have you done a System Restore recently? Recovered from a
    virus?

    Look in the %windir%\system32 folder, are there more files with (2) in the
    name?

    Start | Run | Paste: %windir%\system32 | Click OK |
    Scroll through the list

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uqI%23t8QtFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Garry <Garry@home> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Garry,
    >>
    >> I have no idea what causes this.
    >>
    >> *.cpl files are Control Panel extensions, they show up in the Control
    >> Panel.
    >>
    > Many thanks I did a search for *.cpl files and all showed including dupes
    > with (2) after the file name I deleted these and everything fine now.
    >
    > Garry

Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP