Sprint, Nextel agree to merge

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

From NEWS.COM:

http://myturl.com/001pR

More about sprint nextel agree merge
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular, alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Steve,

    The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
    coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
    of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
    included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
    Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Steve,
    >
    > The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
    > coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
    > of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
    > included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
    > Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.

    Y'all know where my issues are with Sprint: by the cement plants, on National
    Trails Highway (old US 66/US 91) at Air Expressway in Victorville. That's the
    only big hole Sprint has around here - I'd like to see it fixed. Improving
    coverage on 395 in or around Adelanto may fix a couple minor problems I have
    out there too.

    *crossing fingers!*

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On 15 Dec 2004 16:00:30 -0800, larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Steve,
    >
    >The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
    >coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
    >of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
    >included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
    >Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.

    Decidedly you're an optimist.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
    towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner of
    your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose there
    jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
    able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
    what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
    company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and once
    again corporate greed prevails. :(

    <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Steve,
    >
    > The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
    > coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
    > of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
    > included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
    > Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    "Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
    > towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
    of
    > your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
    there
    > jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
    > able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
    > what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
    > company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
    once
    > again corporate greed prevails. :(

    You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
    corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
    is meant to be!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    "Mike" <no-spam@no-way.net> wrote:

    >"Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
    >> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
    >of
    >> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
    >there
    >> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
    >> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
    >> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
    >> company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
    >once
    >> again corporate greed prevails. :(
    >

    >You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
    >corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
    >is meant to be!

    Well, no. Corporations are not natural entities. They are created by
    human laws, and their purpose is whatever those laws declare it to be.

    ==
    Jack Hamilton
    jfh@acm.org

    ==
    In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
    And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
    Edward Gibbon
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    And also supply jobs to the community which in turn spends money on cell
    plans, all a big circle.

    --

    "Mike" <no-spam@no-way.net> wrote in message
    > "Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
    >> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
    > of
    >> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
    > there
    >> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
    >> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and
    >> look
    >> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
    >> company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
    > once
    >> again corporate greed prevails. :(
    >

    > You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
    > corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
    > is meant to be!

  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?

    "Mike" <no-spam@no-way.net> wrote in message
    > "Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
    >> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
    > of
    >> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
    > there
    >> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
    >> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and
    >> look
    >> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
    >> company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
    > once
    >> again corporate greed prevails. :(
    >

    > You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
    > corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
    > is meant to be!

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:53:35 +0000, Rod Golding wrote:

    > And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?

    Um like any business 100% return would be the impossible goal they set for
    themselves. Sprintpcs, Nextel, or any other business are not in business
    because they want to be your friend or friends to their employees. They
    have employees and customers because they are required to make a profit.
    It just so happens to be that good customers and happy employees are key
    to a long term successful business. You can't have a corporation with out
    what you refer to as greed. After all small companies do not have to grow
    but do so to be successful. Anyway it was, "corporate greed" that got
    those companies to where they are now and it was that same greed that gave
    all those people jobs and benefits that you are so concerned about. If and
    when they get fired they will get what they agreed to in their employee
    contracts, nothing more and nothing less. In short, it is business.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I was all excited about the arrangement until I found out that Sprint bought
    Nextel and not the other way around. I hear terrible things about Sprint,
    especially in the arena of billing and customer service. So, now I'm really
    worried.

    > From NEWS.COM:
    >
    > http://myturl.com/001pR
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    > sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Sprint still has the highest rate of customers who leave and Nextel
    still has the lowest rate. This is why they are merging. Hopefully
    they take the good from both. I has sprint before i switched to Nextel
    and I though the service was good and they has a good choice of phones
    but the customer service is what drove me away. I have had dealings
    with just about every carrier out there and Nextel has by far the best
    customer service of all of them.

    --
    1badss
    http://cellphoneforums.net

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:52:42 GMT, "Rod Golding"
    <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >And also supply jobs to the community which in turn spends money on cell
    >plans, all a big circle.

    You don't have a very good grasp of reality do you?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Rod Golding wrote:
    > I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
    > towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner of
    > your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose there
    > jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side.

    Have layoffs been announced yet? No, they haven't. And quite frankly,
    those jobs are just as much at risk if Sprint and Nextel DIDN'T merge.
    These two companies have to expand one way or another, or lose out, and
    that puts jobs in danger no matter hwo you slice it.

    I was an opponent of the merger, but after seeing the presentation, I'm
    cautiously neutral to it. And I'm still certain that if people do get
    laid off, those who are truly worth their salt will be able to find jobs
    with competitors. The cell networks in the US still have a long way to
    go to build out and upgrade.

    > And on top of it Sprint will be
    > able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
    > what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
    > company look good.

    Actually, I see it this way: Nextel was on borrowed time with dead end
    technology and no clear upgrade path. A potentially chaotic spectrum
    swap was near. The easy way to avoid getting caught under such traps is
    to BE bought out by another company to help absorb the heavy costs
    ahead. If anything, Nextel is using Sprint as a life raft to transition
    to CDMA, which is why I had my misgivings about this merger.

    Remember, it takes two to tango, and Nextel could have very easily said
    "we're not for sale."

    > It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and once
    > again corporate greed prevails. :(

    Oh, boo hoo.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Rod Golding wrote:
    > And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?

    20, 30, 40% of what? Your waning IQ? ;)

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    J A Haynes wrote:
    > I was all excited about the arrangement until I found out that Sprint bought
    > Nextel and not the other way around. I hear terrible things about Sprint,
    > especially in the arena of billing and customer service. So, now I'm really
    > worried.

    That's funny, I've EXPERIENCED (not just heard) very bad things while I
    had service with Nextel, and EXPERIENCED (not just heard) far better
    service on Sprint.

    At least Sprint credits payments when they receive them, rather than
    putting them in a "lockbox" for three weeks as Nextel did, virtually
    ensuring that accounts are frequently running a balance and making it
    infinitely more difficult to track down how much you *really* owe them.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    The way capitalism is supposed to work, if one company was making
    that much profit, you'd see all sorts of new competition getting into
    the field, with the end result being a lowering of prices.

    --
    John Richards

    "Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:jx8wd.823$9j5.685@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?
    >

    > "Mike" <no-spam@no-way.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
    >> corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
    >> is meant to be!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    > "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
    > corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
    > is meant to be!

    But in fact what we're seeing is that the compensation paid to CEOs
    is growing by leaps and bounds, while stockholder returns and
    employee salaries have remained stagnant in terms of real dollars.

    --
    John Richards
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Please, use your head...you must be from the east coast

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    > Rod Golding wrote:
    >> And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?
    >

    > 20, 30, 40% of what? Your waning IQ? ;)
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    As a current Nextel subscriber, at first glance I wasn't too happy with
    this. Today, I switched the wife, and myself, over to Sprint, got two new
    (free) phones, and we're saving $55.00/month! Sometimes change can be a
    good!

    Bill Crocker

    > From NEWS.COM:
    >
    > http://myturl.com/001pR
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    > sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    "Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
    > towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
    of
    > your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
    there
    > jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
    > able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
    > what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
    > company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
    once
    > again corporate greed prevails. :(

    You could probably use a little information before spouting off like that.
    If you had taken the time to research, you would have noticed that of the 8
    executive positions named so far, 3 are from Sprint and 5 from Nextel. If
    you had read a little more, you would see that Sprint stockholders only hold
    51% of the new company, and this was done for tax breaks on the spinoff of
    the landline division. Could it be that 2% of current Sprint stock is held
    in portfolios that also contain Nextel stock? If so, there is no advantage
    to either company. Maybe they do know what they are doing, and all of the
    Internet CEO wannabes are wrong. Although I have to admit that the noise
    about this is quite amusing.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    "J A Haynes" <aaviale28@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I was all excited about the arrangement until I found out that Sprint
    bought
    > Nextel and not the other way around. I hear terrible things about Sprint,
    > especially in the arena of billing and customer service. So, now I'm
    really
    > worried.

    Why worry? Both companies have strengths, and they happen to be in
    different areas. Sprint has the edge in sales, advertising, marketing and
    engineering, and Nextel in customer service, billing, employee satisfaction
    and cost management. If they play off the strengths of each company, they
    come out much stronger than anyone else in the industry and become much more
    attractive to customers. The doomsayers here are convinced that this will
    never happen, but it only makes sense.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I agree, I still think that this will make sense in the long run. After
    all nextel wanted to moved to a CDMA system for voice anyway this just
    makes it a little easier for them and it sounds like they will keep the
    PTT on the IDEN network for quite some time so we don't have to worry
    about that turning into the PTT that some of the other carriers offer.

    --
    1badss
    http://cellphoneforums.net

    Not to disagree with your intent, but your statement has not been proved to
    my knowledge. Workers can be incredibly unhappy in their jobs working for
    jerk supervisors but still productive and efficient. That, among other
    things, is what determines whether or not a business is successful, not
    whether the employees are actually happy.
    --
    Chris Cowles,
    Gainesville, FL

    "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
    > ...It just so happens to be that ... happy employees are key to a long
    > term successful business....
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Whether sprint bought nextel or nextel bought sprint is all a matter of
    optimizing the accounting for the surviving organization. What matters is
    who's the surviving management.

    "J A Haynes" <aaviale28@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was all excited about the arrangement until I found out that Sprint
    >bought Nextel and not the other way around. I hear terrible things about
    >Sprint, especially in the arena of billing and customer service. So, now
    >I'm really worried.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:25:31 -0500, Chris Cowles wrote:

    > Not to disagree with your intent, but your statement has not been proved to
    > my knowledge. Workers can be incredibly unhappy in their jobs working for
    > jerk supervisors but still productive and efficient. That, among other
    > things, is what determines whether or not a business is successful, not
    > whether the employees are actually happy.

    Keep in mind I listed only two variables in an otherwise bigger picture of
    business. The poster above seemed to have some false ideals about
    corporations requiring humanity and caring traits. It would be nice but
    nothing they do will remove the fact that they are trying to make a
    profit. Otherwise they will be a non-profit organization and even then
    they shave a little off for their operating expenses.

    As far as the worker's peace of mind I believe your statement does show
    what I said even tho it doesn't reflect that the business operators were
    the cause of it. That statement being that your workforce works optimally
    when they are in good spirits otherwise they will burn out requiring
    replacements to be trained, and then brought up to speed of the business.
    In a large corporation can you not say that a "jerk" supervisor may have
    more of an affect on the business by degrading his direct, or in-direct
    workforce then the one or two employees that do not let the supervisor get
    to them? There are a lot of variables that make it hard to form one rule
    that can always be applied. After all, you can have good customers and
    a good workforce but just have no future for your product/service.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:22:38 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    > From NEWS.COM:
    >
    >http://myturl.com/001pR

    We, as Nextel users, are all DOOMED.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    It didn't go well at all with Sprint. I'm back to Nextel.

    Bill Crocker

    "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > As a current Nextel subscriber, at first glance I wasn't too happy with
    > this. Today, I switched the wife, and myself, over to Sprint, got two new
    > (free) phones, and we're saving $55.00/month! Sometimes change can be a
    > good!
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> From NEWS.COM:
    >>
    >> http://myturl.com/001pR
    >>
    >> --
    >> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    >> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    >> sjsobol@JustThe.net
    >> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    >> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three
    >> kids.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    > It didn't go well at all with Sprint. I'm back to Nextel.
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    Welllll...are you just going to keep us guessing as to what made you switch
    back to Nextel?

    - tex

Nextel Internet Servers Internet Service Providers Product