Sprint, Nextel agree to merge

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

From NEWS.COM:

http://myturl.com/001pR

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular, alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Steve,

The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

> Steve,
>
> The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
> coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
> of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
> included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
> Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.

Y'all know where my issues are with Sprint: by the cement plants, on National
Trails Highway (old US 66/US 91) at Air Expressway in Victorville. That's the
only big hole Sprint has around here - I'd like to see it fixed. Improving
coverage on 395 in or around Adelanto may fix a couple minor problems I have
out there too.

*crossing fingers!*

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On 15 Dec 2004 16:00:30 -0800, larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

>Steve,
>
>The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
>coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
>of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
>included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
>Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.

Decidedly you're an optimist.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner of
your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose there
jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and once
again corporate greed prevails. :(

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Steve,
>
> The best thing to come out of this deal for us might be the new
> coverage on Hwy 58 and Hwy 395 that Sprint will be getting as a result
> of this deal. Bishop, Mammoth, Mojave, Tehacapi, and Ridgecrest are
> included. The Nextel cell sites in that area will be converted to
> Sprint possibily in 12-18 months.

Mike

Splendid

"Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
of
> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
there
> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
> company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
once
> again corporate greed prevails. :(

You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
is meant to be!

"Mike" <no-spam@no-way.net> wrote:

>"Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
>> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
>of
>> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
>there
>> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
>> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
>> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
>> company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
>once
>> again corporate greed prevails. :(
>

>You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
>corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
>is meant to be!

Well, no. Corporations are not natural entities. They are created by
human laws, and their purpose is whatever those laws declare it to be.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbon

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

And also supply jobs to the community which in turn spends money on cell
plans, all a big circle.

--

"Mike" <no-spam@no-way.net> wrote in message
> "Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
>> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
> of
>> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
> there
>> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
>> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and
>> look
>> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
>> company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
> once
>> again corporate greed prevails. :(
>

> You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
> corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
> is meant to be!

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:53:35 +0000, Rod Golding wrote:

> And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?

Um like any business 100% return would be the impossible goal they set for
themselves. Sprintpcs, Nextel, or any other business are not in business
because they want to be your friend or friends to their employees. They
have employees and customers because they are required to make a profit.
It just so happens to be that good customers and happy employees are key
to a long term successful business. You can't have a corporation with out
what you refer to as greed. After all small companies do not have to grow
but do so to be successful. Anyway it was, "corporate greed" that got
those companies to where they are now and it was that same greed that gave
all those people jobs and benefits that you are so concerned about. If and
when they get fired they will get what they agreed to in their employee
contracts, nothing more and nothing less. In short, it is business.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

I was all excited about the arrangement until I found out that Sprint bought
Nextel and not the other way around. I hear terrible things about Sprint,
especially in the arena of billing and customer service. So, now I'm really
worried.

> From NEWS.COM:
>
> http://myturl.com/001pR
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Sprint still has the highest rate of customers who leave and Nextel
still has the lowest rate. This is why they are merging. Hopefully
they take the good from both. I has sprint before i switched to Nextel
and I though the service was good and they has a good choice of phones
but the customer service is what drove me away. I have had dealings
with just about every carrier out there and Nextel has by far the best
customer service of all of them.

--
1badss
http://cellphoneforums.net

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:52:42 GMT, "Rod Golding"
<rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote:

>And also supply jobs to the community which in turn spends money on cell
>plans, all a big circle.

You don't have a very good grasp of reality do you?

Rod Golding wrote:
> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner of
> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose there
> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side.

Have layoffs been announced yet? No, they haven't. And quite frankly,
those jobs are just as much at risk if Sprint and Nextel DIDN'T merge.
These two companies have to expand one way or another, or lose out, and
that puts jobs in danger no matter hwo you slice it.

I was an opponent of the merger, but after seeing the presentation, I'm
cautiously neutral to it. And I'm still certain that if people do get
laid off, those who are truly worth their salt will be able to find jobs
with competitors. The cell networks in the US still have a long way to
go to build out and upgrade.

> And on top of it Sprint will be
> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
> company look good.

Actually, I see it this way: Nextel was on borrowed time with dead end
technology and no clear upgrade path. A potentially chaotic spectrum
swap was near. The easy way to avoid getting caught under such traps is
to BE bought out by another company to help absorb the heavy costs
ahead. If anything, Nextel is using Sprint as a life raft to transition
to CDMA, which is why I had my misgivings about this merger.

Remember, it takes two to tango, and Nextel could have very easily said
"we're not for sale."

> It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and once
> again corporate greed prevails. :(

Oh, boo hoo.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Rod Golding wrote:
> And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?

20, 30, 40% of what? Your waning IQ? ;)

--

J A Haynes wrote:
> I was all excited about the arrangement until I found out that Sprint bought
> Nextel and not the other way around. I hear terrible things about Sprint,
> especially in the arena of billing and customer service. So, now I'm really
> worried.

That's funny, I've EXPERIENCED (not just heard) very bad things while I
had service with Nextel, and EXPERIENCED (not just heard) far better
service on Sprint.

At least Sprint credits payments when they receive them, rather than
putting them in a "lockbox" for three weeks as Nextel did, virtually
ensuring that accounts are frequently running a balance and making it
infinitely more difficult to track down how much you *really* owe them.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

The way capitalism is supposed to work, if one company was making
that much profit, you'd see all sorts of new competition getting into
the field, with the end result being a lowering of prices.

--
John Richards

"Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:jx8wd.823$9j5.685@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?
>

> "Mike" <no-spam@no-way.net> wrote in message
>>
>> You are such a twit! "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
>> corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
>> is meant to be!

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

> "Corporate greed"? The ENTIRE purpose of a
> corporation is to return a profit for the shareholders! That's the way it
> is meant to be!

But in fact what we're seeing is that the compensation paid to CEOs
is growing by leaps and bounds, while stockholder returns and
employee salaries have remained stagnant in terms of real dollars.

--
John Richards

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Please, use your head...you must be from the east coast

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Rod Golding wrote:
>> And how much is enough? 20%, 30%, 40%? More?
>

> 20, 30, 40% of what? Your waning IQ? ;)
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

As a current Nextel subscriber, at first glance I wasn't too happy with
this. Today, I switched the wife, and myself, over to Sprint, got two new
(free) phones, and we're saving $55.00/month! Sometimes change can be a
good!

Bill Crocker

> From NEWS.COM:
>
> http://myturl.com/001pR
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

"Rod Golding" <rodgolding@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I can not believe my eyes. You people are talking about a couple of cell
> towers and how it will "improve your coverage in your small little corner
of
> your world". What about the thousands of people that are going to lose
there
> jobs on both the Sprint and Nextel side. And on top of it Sprint will be
> able to completely screw up Nextel as they have their own company and look
> what they have to do, buy a profitable company in order to make their
> company look good. It is indeed a sad day in the world of cellular and
once
> again corporate greed prevails. :(

You could probably use a little information before spouting off like that.
If you had taken the time to research, you would have noticed that of the 8
executive positions named so far, 3 are from Sprint and 5 from Nextel. If
you had read a little more, you would see that Sprint stockholders only hold
51% of the new company, and this was done for tax breaks on the spinoff of
the landline division. Could it be that 2% of current Sprint stock is held
in portfolios that also contain Nextel stock? If so, there is no advantage
to either company. Maybe they do know what they are doing, and all of the
Internet CEO wannabes are wrong. Although I have to admit that the noise
about this is quite amusing.

"J A Haynes" <aaviale28@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I was all excited about the arrangement until I found out that Sprint
bought
> Nextel and not the other way around. I hear terrible things about Sprint,
> especially in the arena of billing and customer service. So, now I'm
really
> worried.

Why worry? Both companies have strengths, and they happen to be in
different areas. Sprint has the edge in sales, advertising, marketing and
engineering, and Nextel in customer service, billing, employee satisfaction
and cost management. If they play off the strengths of each company, they
come out much stronger than anyone else in the industry and become much more
attractive to customers. The doomsayers here are convinced that this will
never happen, but it only makes sense.

I agree, I still think that this will make sense in the long run. After
all nextel wanted to moved to a CDMA system for voice anyway this just
makes it a little easier for them and it sounds like they will keep the
PTT on the IDEN network for quite some time so we don't have to worry
about that turning into the PTT that some of the other carriers offer.

--
1badss
http://cellphoneforums.net

Not to disagree with your intent, but your statement has not been proved to
my knowledge. Workers can be incredibly unhappy in their jobs working for
jerk supervisors but still productive and efficient. That, among other
things, is what determines whether or not a business is successful, not
whether the employees are actually happy.
--
Chris Cowles,
Gainesville, FL

"Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
> ...It just so happens to be that ... happy employees are key to a long
> term successful business....

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

Whether sprint bought nextel or nextel bought sprint is all a matter of
optimizing the accounting for the surviving organization. What matters is
who's the surviving management.