password protect shared printer

a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 10:19:47 PM

Hi all,

My LAN consists of six windows XP home edition and one windows XP
Professional Edition. Professional Edition is set as a print server. My
question is how can I password protect my shared printer (or is it
possible)? By default it doesn't have any passowrd security. I have
searched the windows help and it suggests that when I right click and
select the printer properties, I can set the printer security through
"security tab". But this "security tab" doesn't show up. Only "General",
"Sharing", "Ports", "Advance" and "Color Management" Tabs are there.
What needs to be done in order to see that "Security Tab" ?

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 10:19:48 PM

"Deepak Shrestha" <d88pak@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My LAN consists of six windows XP home edition and one windows XP
> Professional Edition. Professional Edition is set as a print server. My
> question is how can I password protect my shared printer (or is it
> possible)? By default it doesn't have any passowrd security. I have
> searched the windows help and it suggests that when I right click and
> select the printer properties, I can set the printer security through
> "security tab". But this "security tab" doesn't show up. Only "General",
> "Sharing", "Ports", "Advance" and "Color Management" Tabs are there. What
> needs to be done in order to see that "Security Tab" ?
>
> Thanks in advance

You need to uncheck Simple File Sharing and have your filing system as NTFS.

Look in your Folder Options located in the control panel to uncheck Simple
File Sharing.

--
William
!