New PC where to find good back-up advice?

September 5, 2005 6:03:22 PM

Hi,

Just about to receive my new PC. I have bought an external HDD partly to
save files for switching over.

Can anyone point me to some good advice pages for where to find useful files
to back-up, please....eg Outlook files so I can save my emails, various
settings etc, and most importantly my ISP information?

many thanks

Julie

(cross-posted to ISP support group)

More about : find good back advice

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:03:23 PM

This mostly depends on which programs that you use. Search the internet for
the programs that you're concerned with (for example: Outlook Express -
search for Saving outlook express email - and - Saving Outlook Express
settings) There'll be plenty of instructions out there.

Also, review these documents on the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and
System Restore -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...

2 basic strategies are available for backup. There's the simple backup of
files, and the imaging of your entire disk. Each has it's benefits and
drawbacks.

I backup critical files by copying them on a schedule very frequently
(because they don't take up that much room), and I save 30 days worth of
files before I start overwriting them (it's an accounting program) - for this
I use a program called SyncBackSE (there is a freeware version available -
and others prefer the Cobian backup freeware)

To ensure that I can get my system back up and running quickly (in the event
of a system crash) I use a disk imaging utility called Acronis True Image
(about $50 US). It makes a complete copy of my entire hard drive - so, if my
system crashes, I can be back up and running within 20 minutes. The drawback
is that the file it saves is so large that I can't save many copies of it -
so I only do it every 2 weeks.

"Julie Meikle" <julie.meikle@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just about to receive my new PC. I have bought an external HDD partly to
>save files for switching over.
>
>Can anyone point me to some good advice pages for where to find useful files
>to back-up, please....eg Outlook files so I can save my emails, various
>settings etc, and most importantly my ISP information?
>
>many thanks
>
>Julie
>
>(cross-posted to ISP support group)

Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes with Windows XP.
See the article by MVP Gary Woodruff at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
September 5, 2005 6:03:24 PM

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This mostly depends on which programs that you use. Search the internet
> for
> the programs that you're concerned with (for example: Outlook Express -
> search for Saving outlook express email - and - Saving Outlook Express
> settings) There'll be plenty of instructions out there.
>
> Also, review these documents on the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and
> System Restore -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...
>
> 2 basic strategies are available for backup. There's the simple backup of
> files, and the imaging of your entire disk. Each has it's benefits and
> drawbacks.
>
> I backup critical files by copying them on a schedule very frequently
> (because they don't take up that much room), and I save 30 days worth of
> files before I start overwriting them (it's an accounting program) - for
> this
> I use a program called SyncBackSE (there is a freeware version available -
> and others prefer the Cobian backup freeware)
>
> To ensure that I can get my system back up and running quickly (in the
> event
> of a system crash) I use a disk imaging utility called Acronis True Image
> (about $50 US). It makes a complete copy of my entire hard drive - so, if
> my
> system crashes, I can be back up and running within 20 minutes. The
> drawback
> is that the file it saves is so large that I can't save many copies of
> it -
> so I only do it every 2 weeks.

I agree with the use of an imaging program to keep a snapshot of the system.
Use it before installing any new program or hardware. Always keep at least
two images available. I also agree it's a good idea to keep backups of files
that change often. For this I just copy the files to an external drive or
use the burning software that came with the DVDRW drive. I recommend you use
two backup methods. A DVDRW drive and the external hard drive. External hard
drives have a higher failure rate than internal hard drives due to heat
problems. DVD discs have been known to become unreadable after storage. Make
sure at least one of the backups is stored somewhere other than near the
computer. This protects against fire, theft, flooding, etc.. When not using
the external drive turn it off and store it away from the computer. Murphy's
law is doubled when it comes to backups. Whatever method you use test
restoring the data to a different location to make sure the backup is
working and you know how to restore the data.

Kerry
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:03:07 AM

"Thanks all......that is my weekend all sorted out now!
September 6, 2005 7:01:53 PM

FWIW, Latest PC Mag just so happens to cover Backup.
!