Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just put in the new ATI drivers and picked up my 3D-Mark 2001 scores by about 7%, some of the test got about 50% better framerates!

The only reason I didn't do it sooner is because ATI wouldn't let me-the newer Beta drivers do NOT support the Radeon LE, because ATI didn't want them to! So I had to extract the drivers to a folder, modify the name of the file atfaraxx.hl_ to atfaraxx.hlx, and force Win98 to install the new drivers!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I just put in the new ATI drivers and picked up my 3D-Mark 2001 scores by about 7%, some of the test got about 50% better framerates!

The only reason I didn't do it sooner is because ATI wouldn't let me-the newer Beta drivers do NOT support the Radeon LE, because ATI didn't want them to! So I had to extract the drivers to a folder, modify the name of the file atfaraxx.hl_ to atfaraxx.hlx, and force Win98 to install the new drivers!
Interesting, I wonder why it didn't install. Anyway, it looks like ATI still cares about its older Radeon users. GO ATI GO!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember that the LE was NOT SUPPORTED by ATI, so any Beta drivers, which are "not supported", wouldn't have to work with a "defective chip card", which is also "not supported" I could load the Retail BIOS for it, but this is a TVO card, so I would have to use the 64MB VIVO BIOS to support the TVO functions. But alas, that won't work because it doesn't have the Video IN hardware. So I tried the 7500 BIOS, which also doesn't work because of something called "with DLL" or Without DLL. Further, I have modified the BIOS on this one to natively support 183MHz "Retail" speed, so maybe the modifications were what made the driver not autoinstall.
Here's the cool part though-the new driver cleared up the artifacts that originally caused the chip to get demoted to "LE" status to begin with!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yeah, but it's slowly moving into the obsolete range of performance. I'd say it has a good 6 months of decent performance (in comparison to modern cards) until nVidia or ATI release their new line of fourth/fifth generation cards.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
We can't all afford the latest and greatest. :lol:
I for one am stuck with an intergrated NForce GPU until I can save up for my next upgrade (which is taking much longer than I had though it would).

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I dont know the GeForce 4 MX is nvidia why to screw customers that all i know. What about the GeForce 5 MX ???

I Love playing on my GameCube or PC cuz there both ATi powered... :smile:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I dont know the GeForce 4 MX is nvidia why to screw customers thats all i know. What about the GeForce 5 MX ???

I Love playing on my GameCube or PC cuz there both ATi powered... :smile:

AGP 2x, 89MHz?

So you fullt condone a visit to the ATI site for drivers? I've not had much luck with adding drivers in the past. Hmmm. Radeon 64MB DDR vivo retail, wpould like to download W98SE & W2K versions if this applies... Gotta link?

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right now it's at 100MHz, AGP2x. My board has a AGP selection in BIOS, I was actually able to run this card at the 1/1 ratio when my bus speed was at 133 (that's 133MHz, AGP2x), but backed it down to 2/3 when I clocked it up to 150MHz FSB. Hmmm, I wonder if it would work at 150MHz/AGP2x?

I just got my drivers from the download page at ati.com.

Do you have special 'video adapter insurance' or something?

That's an incredible amount of FSB for the gfx card to handle. Is your I/O voltage being pushed, or is there a 'trick' your young BX apprentice has to learn in his second year? :smile:

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, yes, there's a trick. It goes something like this:
1.) Install the processor, memory, and graphics card.
2.) start the system and go into BIOS
3.) Set the bus speed where you want it.
4.) restart the system.
5.) Say three magic words "Whippee, it works"!
6.) Test to verify stability.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn! I just tried setting the AGP ratio at 1:1 for my 150MHz bus speed, and the thing wouldn't fire up! Hmm, it worked at 133MHz AGP. Oh well, looks like I'm stuck at 100MHz AGP (+AGP2x), after clearing the BIOS to get the damned thing to boot, then trying to remember all my BIOS settings again.

Grifter

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
how do you figure ATI "still cares" about its older radeon users when the drivers originally didnt support the LE ?!?!

Trying is the first step to failure

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Radeon LE is not an official ATI product. Crashman got the drivers to work and received a sizeable performance boost.

Grifter

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
The fact is ATI didnt care at all about crashmans LE
if they did the drivers wouldnt havnt needed any modification !

Trying is the first step to failure