Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Dell 8400 - I thought there was a 1394 Firewire port?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 4, 2005 6:22:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Am I missing a port?
I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!

I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.

It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
just quit and go to bed!

SusanD
July 4, 2005 7:50:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

cpy@straw.com wrote:

>
>Am I missing a port?
>I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!

If this is like the olden days, Dimension 8400, being the top of the
line, most likely would have one. But this is today and Dell is
cutting corners at the expense of quality. Audigy sound card has it.

>
>I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
>I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
>
>It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
>from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
>just quit and go to bed!
>
>SusanD
July 4, 2005 10:06:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
port or ports on any of their computers by default.
Dave
Related resources
July 4, 2005 10:23:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Mine has a usb interface AND firewire. The usb is for
the still camera function of the camcorder. Still need
a firewire for the video...all of them are this way that I know
of..Did you read the link you posted...make multiple reference
to firewire for video transfer.
This is a quote from the particular camera in your link.
"With great picture quality, large LCD, USB and i.Link and rich set of
features, the TRV17 is a joy and a good value"
The i.link is firewire.

Dave
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
> Dave
>


The 9100 has 1394 by default.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
> Dave
>

Apparently there are or were camcorders out there with USB interface.

http://www.epinions.com/content_30294642308
July 4, 2005 1:59:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1120483416.627130.262670@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Mine has a usb interface AND firewire. The usb is for
> the still camera function of the camcorder. Still need
> a firewire for the video...all of them are this way that I know
> of..Did you read the link you posted...make multiple reference
> to firewire for video transfer.
> This is a quote from the particular camera in your link.
> "With great picture quality, large LCD, USB and i.Link and rich set of
> features, the TRV17 is a joy and a good value"
> The i.link is firewire.
>
> Dave


Yes my 8400 did not come with firewire and I installed a pci card for that
purpose. It works much better than USB2 for video. Actually my camcorder can
only transfer via firewire. Its faster, has audio and better quality. I
found out about the audigy after I got the PC. A little disappointed but no
big deal. The firewire card works great and has multiple ports on it. I only
use USB for still images

Bill
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:29:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It is an option at the time of purchase. If you bought a SoundBlaster
Audigy card you have firewire.


cpy@straw.com wrote:
> Am I missing a port?
> I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
>
> I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
> I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
>
> It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
> from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
> just quit and go to bed!
>
> SusanD
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:34:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Only if you ordered the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card. Otherwise, no firewire
port.

Tom
<cpy@straw.com> wrote in message
news:ervhc1pf6aglgdrqt0gjeioa42qegqupa1@4ax.com...
>
> Am I missing a port?
> I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
>
> I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
> I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
>
> It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
> from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
> just quit and go to bed!
>
> SusanD
>
July 4, 2005 5:49:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

if it doesn't have one you can buy one from almost any vendor on the
internet for about 15 dollars US.

<cpy@straw.com> wrote in message
news:ervhc1pf6aglgdrqt0gjeioa42qegqupa1@4ax.com...
>
> Am I missing a port?
> I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
>
> I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
> I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
>
> It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
> from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
> just quit and go to bed!
>
> SusanD
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:04:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
> Dave
>

Of course it does not. I didn't say it did. My point was that USB2 is more
popular as a general purpose port and a very small percentage of buyers
would ever use Firewire. Not that many people use a digital camcorder and
edit it on their PC and those that do would likely be careful about ensuring
their machine has such a port, particularly since it is available in TWO
ways during the order process -- either on the Audigy 2 card or as a
stand-alone care.

Tom
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Tom Scales wrote:
>>>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
>> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
>> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
>> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
>> Dave
>>
>
>
> The 9100 has 1394 by default.
>

Are you sure? I just looked at the specs and it talks about 7 USB2 ports
but NO mention of Firewire.

Tom
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:11:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:Ukcye.216601$w15.37816@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>>
>> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>> Tom Scales wrote:
>>>>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
>>> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
>>> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
>>> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
>>> Dave
>>>
>>
>>
>> The 9100 has 1394 by default.
>>
>
> Are you sure? I just looked at the specs and it talks about 7 USB2 ports
> but NO mention of Firewire.
>
> Tom
>


I'll be damned. I saw it, but didn't view the (optional) - so it's still an
upgrade. Mea culpa:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/e...


Stew
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:14:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have the 8400 with the Audigy card (with Firewire). At this point, I
don't need Firewire and all I know about it is that it's faster, right?
Does the Audigy USE this Firewire connection or is the premise here that I
have access to a firewire port via the soundcard?
Thanks,
Monica

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:iecye.180631$IO.4045@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Tom Scales wrote:
>>>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
>> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
>> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
>> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
>> Dave
>>
>
> Of course it does not. I didn't say it did. My point was that USB2 is
> more popular as a general purpose port and a very small percentage of
> buyers would ever use Firewire. Not that many people use a digital
> camcorder and edit it on their PC and those that do would likely be
> careful about ensuring their machine has such a port, particularly since
> it is available in TWO ways during the order process -- either on the
> Audigy 2 card or as a stand-alone care.
>
> Tom
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:14:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Monica wrote:
>
> I have the 8400 with the Audigy card (with Firewire). At this point, I
> don't need Firewire and all I know about it is that it's faster, right?
> Does the Audigy USE this Firewire connection or is the premise here that I
> have access to a firewire port via the soundcard?

Faster? Faster than what?

If you happen to need a Firewire connection, the folks at Creative have
been nice enough to supply you with one. The card, itself, doesn't need
the port.

Notan
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:01:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I guess faster than USB2 (transfer rate)?? I told you I didn't know
anything about it LOL Thanks for answering my question about the
availability of it :) 
Monica
"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:42C9BA4D.DC6EE1EC@ddress.com...
> Monica wrote:
>>
>> I have the 8400 with the Audigy card (with Firewire). At this point, I
>> don't need Firewire and all I know about it is that it's faster, right?
>> Does the Audigy USE this Firewire connection or is the premise here that
>> I
>> have access to a firewire port via the soundcard?
>
> Faster? Faster than what?
>
> If you happen to need a Firewire connection, the folks at Creative have
> been nice enough to supply you with one. The card, itself, doesn't need
> the port.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:01:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Monica wrote:
>
> I guess faster than USB2 (transfer rate)?? I told you I didn't know
> anything about it LOL Thanks for answering my question about the
> availability of it :) 

Even though the raw data makes USB 2.0 look faster than Firewire
(480 Mbps vs 400 Mbps), Firewire *is* faster.

Have a look at http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm.

Notan
July 4, 2005 11:42:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes, I did order the SB Card with the firewire port - got to get down
on the floor again.

the Firewire cable I have has a teeny end on it that fit the Firewire
in my Dell Inspiron 8100 - are there larger size female 1394s too?

Maybe the port I see that I don't recognize IS the 1394, but larger
than the end on the cable I have?

susanD

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:29:44 GMT, "Edward J. Neth"
<ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>It is an option at the time of purchase. If you bought a SoundBlaster
>Audigy card you have firewire.
>
>
>cpy@straw.com wrote:
>> Am I missing a port?
>> I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
>>
>> I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
>> I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
>>
>> It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
>> from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
>> just quit and go to bed!
>>
>> SusanD
>>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:33:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The Audigy doesn't use it, it just provides it on an odd assumption that if
you have a high-end sound card, you might be into video :) 

Tom
"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:0xiye.44271$rb6.32487@lakeread07...
>I have the 8400 with the Audigy card (with Firewire). At this point, I
>don't need Firewire and all I know about it is that it's faster, right?
>Does the Audigy USE this Firewire connection or is the premise here that I
>have access to a firewire port via the soundcard?
> Thanks,
> Monica
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:iecye.180631$IO.4045@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>> Tom Scales wrote:
>>>>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
>>> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
>>> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
>>> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
>>> Dave
>>>
>>
>> Of course it does not. I didn't say it did. My point was that USB2 is
>> more popular as a general purpose port and a very small percentage of
>> buyers would ever use Firewire. Not that many people use a digital
>> camcorder and edit it on their PC and those that do would likely be
>> careful about ensuring their machine has such a port, particularly since
>> it is available in TWO ways during the order process -- either on the
>> Audigy 2 card or as a stand-alone care.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:57:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> The Audigy doesn't use it, it just provides it on an odd assumption that if
> you have a high-end sound card, you might be into video :) 

The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro External has an I/O Hub with
Front/Rear Panel Connectors. The card actually has 2 IEEE1394
connectors, one of which is used by the card to communicate with the
external hub, leaving one for the user. I went for this model to avoid
using a 2nd PCI slot & to put the connectors on my desktop (where
they're very convenient).

Specs from the Creative site:

* Headphone Out (1/4" Stereo Jack)
* Line In 1 (1/4" Stereo Jack , shared with Microphone In with Gain Control)
* Line In 2 (1/4" Stereo Jack)
* Line In 3 (2x RCA Jack)
* Optical SPDIF In/Out
* Coaxial SPDIF In/Out
* Digital Out for 5.1 support (6-channel SPDIF Output to Creative
digital speakers)
* 2x FireWire® (IEEE®1394) ports
* MIDI In / Out
* Infra-red Receiver
* AD_LINK 1 and AD_LINK 2 connectors
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:01:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes, there is a larger size connector. You need the one that goes from the
small size (camcorder) to fullsize (PC). If you find the sound card, it is
the port that looks a little like USB on the same card, except one end looks
like half of a diamond.

Tom
<cpy@straw.com> wrote in message
news:9qsjc19b1ugi52kcbv8mivoa66lakftahf@4ax.com...
> Yes, I did order the SB Card with the firewire port - got to get down
> on the floor again.
>
> the Firewire cable I have has a teeny end on it that fit the Firewire
> in my Dell Inspiron 8100 - are there larger size female 1394s too?
>
> Maybe the port I see that I don't recognize IS the 1394, but larger
> than the end on the cable I have?
>
> susanD
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:01:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
>
> Yes, there is a larger size connector. You need the one that goes from the
> small size (camcorder) to fullsize (PC). If you find the sound card, it is
> the port that looks a little like USB on the same card, except one end looks
> like half of a diamond.

To me, it looks like "D" stretched from side to side.

Whatever works!

Notan
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:57:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:iecye.180631$IO.4045@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> Not that many people use a digital camcorder and edit it on their PC

I would guess that more camcorder owners than you think do edit or access
their artistic creations on a PC!
The editing software often comes with the camera and is very easy to use (in
functionality if not creatively!)
Also a good way to create dvd's from the content.

Chris
July 8, 2005 8:21:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
|
| "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| > Tom Scales wrote:
| >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| > Dave
| >
|
|
| The 9100 has 1394 by default.
|
|
As does my Dimension 2400!
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:53:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
|
| "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| > Tom Scales wrote:
| >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| > Dave
| >
|
|
| The 9100 has 1394 by default.
|
|
As does my Dimension 2400!

No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port. Did
you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.

Tom
July 9, 2005 12:53:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
|
| "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
| news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
|
| "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
| |
| | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| | news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| | > Tom Scales wrote:
| | >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| | > Dave
| | >
| |
| |
| | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
| |
| |
| As does my Dimension 2400!
|
| No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port. Did
| you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
|
| Tom
|

Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect calls
you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you may dislike
that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Helen

|
July 9, 2005 12:53:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message news:o 4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
|
| "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
| news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
|
| "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
| |
| | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| | news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| | > Tom Scales wrote:
| | >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| | > Dave
| | >
| |
| |
| | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
| |
| |
| As does my Dimension 2400!
|
| No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port. Did
| you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
|
| Tom
|

Nothing like knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect calls
you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you may dislike
that, but your disbelief doesn't change the facts! Poison will kill even though you
believe it will not! Your belief doesn't change the fact!).

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Helen

|
For a pictoral representation, go here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_host_adapt...
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:53:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:o 4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
|
| "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
| news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
|
| "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
| |
| | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| | news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| | > Tom Scales wrote:
| | >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| | > Dave
| | >
| |
| |
| | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
| |
| |
| As does my Dimension 2400!
|
| No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
Did
| you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
|
| Tom
|

Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
calls
you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
may dislike
that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Helen



http://www.bluelinecomics.com/pictures/Capt%20Obvious%2...



|
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:53:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:K7Cze.40907$qm.20015@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:o 4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
|
| "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
| news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
|
| "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
| |
| | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| | news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| | > Tom Scales wrote:
| | >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| | > Dave
| | >
| |
| |
| | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
| |
| |
| As does my Dimension 2400!
|
| No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
Did
| you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the
port.
|
| Tom
|

Nothing like knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in
effect calls
you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer!
you may dislike
that, but your disbelief doesn't change the facts! Poison will kill
even though you
believe it will not! Your belief doesn't change the fact!).

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Helen

|
For a pictoral representation, go here:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_host_adapt...

So your point is? That you bought an add in card?
The 2400 still doesn't come stock with a 1394 port.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:47:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Another smartass know-it-all joins the group! Welcome................

-"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:o 4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

-Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
calls
-you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

-Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
may dislike
-that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

-Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

-Helen

|
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:30:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:o 4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
|
| "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
| news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
|
| "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
| |
| | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| | news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| | > Tom Scales wrote:
| | >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| | > Dave
| | >
| |
| |
| | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
| |
| |
| As does my Dimension 2400!
|
| No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
Did
| you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
|
| Tom
|

Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
calls
you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
may dislike
that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Helen

Helen,

I know the specs of the 2400 inside out. I own one. I have no doubt that
this machine has a 1394 point. However, it is NOT a standard item on a
2400.

Ironically, Stew was wrong and the 9100 doesn't either.

I am not calling anyone a liar -- just misinformed on the specs that are
standard on a 2400.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:30:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:K7Cze.40907$qm.20015@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
news:o 4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
|
| "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
| news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
|
| "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
| |
| | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
| | news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
| | > Tom Scales wrote:
| | >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
| | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
| | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
| | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
| | > Dave
| | >
| |
| |
| | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
| |
| |
| As does my Dimension 2400!
|
| No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
Did
| you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
|
| Tom
|

Nothing like knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
calls
you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
may dislike
that, but your disbelief doesn't change the facts! Poison will kill even
though you
believe it will not! Your belief doesn't change the fact!).

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Helen

|
For a pictoral representation, go here:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_host_adapt...



Thank you for proving me correct that the port is not standard but an add-on
card.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:30:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:p 0Eze.222084$w15.49823@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
> news:o 4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> |
> | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
> | news:9eBze.40889$qm.31357@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> |
> | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> | news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> | |
> | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> | | news:1120482363.182286.13280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> | | > Tom Scales wrote:
> | | >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
> | | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
> | | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
> | | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
> | | > Dave
> | | >
> | |
> | |
> | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
> | |
> | |
> | As does my Dimension 2400!
> |
> | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
> Did
> | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the
> port.
> |
> | Tom
> |
>
> Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in
> effect calls
> you a liar because he has superior knowledge!
>
> Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer!
> you may dislike
> that, but it doesn't change the facts!).
>
> Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
>
> Helen
>
> Helen,
>
> I know the specs of the 2400 inside out. I own one. I have no doubt that
> this machine has a 1394 point. However, it is NOT a standard item on a
> 2400.
>
> Ironically, Stew was wrong and the 9100 doesn't either.
>
> I am not calling anyone a liar -- just misinformed on the specs that are
> standard on a 2400.
>


Yep, Tom caught me when I incorrectly thought and posted that the new 9100
had firewire by default - it doesn't, and is still an option. (The few I've
seen were loaded up, apparently).

It's pretty apparent that Helen has an added PCI card of some sort on her
2400.


Stew
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:11:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Why not just use a USB2-to-Firewire conversion cable?
You can pick one for for $1 on ebay.
($2 if you go buy-it-now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6784...

Dennis

> Am I missing a port?
> I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
>
> I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
> I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
!