New Dell 8400 - I thought there was a 1394 Firewire port?

Am I missing a port?
I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!

I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.

It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
just quit and go to bed!

SusanD
33 answers Last reply
More about dell 8400 thought 1394 firewire port

    cpy@straw.com wrote:

    >Am I missing a port?
    >I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!

    If this is like the olden days, Dimension 8400, being the top of the
    line, most likely would have one. But this is today and Dell is
    cutting corners at the expense of quality. Audigy sound card has it.

    Tom Scales wrote:
    >>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
    USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    Dave

    Mine has a usb interface AND firewire. The usb is for
    the still camera function of the camcorder. Still need
    a firewire for the video...all of them are this way that I know
    of..Did you read the link you posted...make multiple reference
    to firewire for video transfer.
    This is a quote from the particular camera in your link.
    "With great picture quality, large LCD, USB and i.Link and rich set of
    features, the TRV17 is a joy and a good value"
    The i.link is firewire.

    Dave

    "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
    > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    > Dave

    The 9100 has 1394 by default.

    "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
    > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    > Dave

    Apparently there are or were camcorders out there with USB interface.

    http://www.epinions.com/content_30294642308

    > Mine has a usb interface AND firewire. The usb is for
    > the still camera function of the camcorder. Still need
    > a firewire for the video...all of them are this way that I know
    > of..Did you read the link you posted...make multiple reference
    > to firewire for video transfer.
    > This is a quote from the particular camera in your link.
    > "With great picture quality, large LCD, USB and i.Link and rich set of
    > features, the TRV17 is a joy and a good value"
    > The i.link is firewire.
    >
    > Dave

    Yes my 8400 did not come with firewire and I installed a pci card for that
    purpose. It works much better than USB2 for video. Actually my camcorder can
    only transfer via firewire. Its faster, has audio and better quality. I
    found out about the audigy after I got the PC. A little disappointed but no
    big deal. The firewire card works great and has multiple ports on it. I only
    use USB for still images

    Bill

    It is an option at the time of purchase. If you bought a SoundBlaster
    Audigy card you have firewire.

    cpy@straw.com wrote:
    > Am I missing a port?
    > I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
    >
    > I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
    > I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
    >
    > It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
    > from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
    > just quit and go to bed!
    >
    > SusanD

    Only if you ordered the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card. Otherwise, no firewire
    port.

    Tom
    <cpy@straw.com> wrote in message

    > Am I missing a port?
    > I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
    >
    > I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
    > I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
    >
    > It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
    > from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
    > just quit and go to bed!
    >
    > SusanD

    if it doesn't have one you can buy one from almost any vendor on the
    internet for about 15 dollars US.

    <cpy@straw.com> wrote in message

    > Am I missing a port?
    > I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
    >
    > I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
    > I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
    >
    > It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
    > from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
    > just quit and go to bed!
    >
    > SusanD

    "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >>>Firewire just isn't that popular. USB2 has become the 'favorite'.
    > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    > Dave

    Of course it does not. I didn't say it did. My point was that USB2 is more
    popular as a general purpose port and a very small percentage of buyers
    would ever use Firewire. Not that many people use a digital camcorder and
    edit it on their PC and those that do would likely be careful about ensuring
    their machine has such a port, particularly since it is available in TWO
    ways during the order process -- either on the Audigy 2 card or as a
    stand-alone care.

    Tom

    > "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    >> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    >> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    >> Dave
    >>

    > The 9100 has 1394 by default.

    Are you sure? I just looked at the specs and it talks about 7 USB2 ports
    but NO mention of Firewire.

    Tom

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    >>> I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    >>> port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    >>> Dave
    >>>

    >> The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    >>

    > Are you sure? I just looked at the specs and it talks about 7 USB2 ports
    > but NO mention of Firewire.
    >
    > Tom

    I'll be damned. I saw it, but didn't view the (optional) - so it's still an
    upgrade. Mea culpa:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/SM/specs.htm#wp1053609

    Stew

    I have the 8400 with the Audigy card (with Firewire). At this point, I
    don't need Firewire and all I know about it is that it's faster, right?
    Does the Audigy USE this Firewire connection or is the premise here that I
    have access to a firewire port via the soundcard?
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica wrote:

    > I have the 8400 with the Audigy card (with Firewire). At this point, I
    > don't need Firewire and all I know about it is that it's faster, right?
    > Does the Audigy USE this Firewire connection or is the premise here that I
    > have access to a firewire port via the soundcard?

    Faster? Faster than what?

    If you happen to need a Firewire connection, the folks at Creative have
    been nice enough to supply you with one. The card, itself, doesn't need
    the port.

    Notan

    I guess faster than USB2 (transfer rate)?? I told you I didn't know
    anything about it LOL Thanks for answering my question about the
    availability of it :)
    Monica

    Monica wrote:

    > I guess faster than USB2 (transfer rate)?? I told you I didn't know
    > anything about it LOL Thanks for answering my question about the
    > availability of it :)

    Even though the raw data makes USB 2.0 look faster than Firewire
    (480 Mbps vs 400 Mbps), Firewire *is* faster.

    Have a look at http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm.

    Notan

    Yes, I did order the SB Card with the firewire port - got to get down
    on the floor again.

    the Firewire cable I have has a teeny end on it that fit the Firewire
    in my Dell Inspiron 8100 - are there larger size female 1394s too?

    Maybe the port I see that I don't recognize IS the 1394, but larger
    than the end on the cable I have?

    susanD

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:29:44 GMT, "Edward J. Neth"
    <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

    >It is an option at the time of purchase. If you bought a SoundBlaster
    >Audigy card you have firewire.
    >

    >cpy@straw.com wrote:
    >> Am I missing a port?
    >> I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
    >>
    >> I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
    >> I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.
    >>
    >> It's 2:20 am and I've been tracking down disks to re-load my programs
    >> from my lost hard drive of 2 weeks ago on old Inspiron - I think I'll
    >> just quit and go to bed!
    >>
    >> SusanD

    The Audigy doesn't use it, it just provides it on an odd assumption that if
    you have a high-end sound card, you might be into video :)

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > The Audigy doesn't use it, it just provides it on an odd assumption that if
    > you have a high-end sound card, you might be into video :)

    The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro External has an I/O Hub with
    Front/Rear Panel Connectors. The card actually has 2 IEEE1394
    connectors, one of which is used by the card to communicate with the
    external hub, leaving one for the user. I went for this model to avoid
    using a 2nd PCI slot & to put the connectors on my desktop (where
    they're very convenient).

    Specs from the Creative site:

    * Headphone Out (1/4" Stereo Jack)
    * Line In 1 (1/4" Stereo Jack , shared with Microphone In with Gain Control)
    * Line In 2 (1/4" Stereo Jack)
    * Line In 3 (2x RCA Jack)
    * Optical SPDIF In/Out
    * Coaxial SPDIF In/Out
    * Digital Out for 5.1 support (6-channel SPDIF Output to Creative
    digital speakers)
    * 2x FireWire® (IEEE®1394) ports
    * MIDI In / Out
    * Infra-red Receiver
    * AD_LINK 1 and AD_LINK 2 connectors

    Yes, there is a larger size connector. You need the one that goes from the
    small size (camcorder) to fullsize (PC). If you find the sound card, it is
    the port that looks a little like USB on the same card, except one end looks
    like half of a diamond.

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > Yes, there is a larger size connector. You need the one that goes from the
    > small size (camcorder) to fullsize (PC). If you find the sound card, it is
    > the port that looks a little like USB on the same card, except one end looks
    > like half of a diamond.

    To me, it looks like "D" stretched from side to side.

    Whatever works!

    Notan

    > Not that many people use a digital camcorder and edit it on their PC

    I would guess that more camcorder owners than you think do edit or access
    their artistic creations on a PC!
    The editing software often comes with the camera and is very easy to use (in
    functionality if not creatively!)
    Also a good way to create dvd's from the content.

    Chris

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:BAaye.41448$Xv.34027@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

    | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | > Dave
    | >

    | The 9100 has 1394 by default.

    As does my Dimension 2400!

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | > Dave
    | >

    | The 9100 has 1394 by default.

    As does my Dimension 2400!

    No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port. Did
    you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.

    Tom

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

    | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    |
    | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | |
    | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | | > Dave

    | |
    | |
    | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    | |
    | |
    | As does my Dimension 2400!
    |
    | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port. Did
    | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
    |
    | Tom

    Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect calls
    you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

    Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you may dislike
    that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    Helen

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message news:o4Cze.40906$qm.30078@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:QIBze.221042$w15.54493@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

    | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    |
    | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | |
    | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | | > Dave

    | |
    | |
    | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    | |
    | |
    | As does my Dimension 2400!
    |
    | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port. Did
    | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
    |
    | Tom

    Nothing like knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect calls
    you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

    Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you may dislike
    that, but your disbelief doesn't change the facts! Poison will kill even though you
    believe it will not! Your belief doesn't change the fact!).

    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    Helen

    For a pictoral representation, go here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_host_adapter_card.html
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    |
    | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | |
    | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | | > Dave

    | |
    | |
    | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    | |
    | |
    | As does my Dimension 2400!
    |
    | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
    Did
    | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
    |
    | Tom

    Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
    calls
    you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

    Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
    may dislike
    that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    Helen

    http://www.bluelinecomics.com/pictures/Capt%20Obvious%20Running%20Away%20600.jpg

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    |
    | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | |
    | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | | > Dave

    | |
    | |
    | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    | |
    | |
    | As does my Dimension 2400!
    |
    | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
    Did
    | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the
    port.

    | Tom

    Nothing like knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in
    effect calls
    you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

    Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer!
    you may dislike
    that, but your disbelief doesn't change the facts! Poison will kill
    even though you
    believe it will not! Your belief doesn't change the fact!).

    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    Helen

    For a pictoral representation, go here:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_host_adapter_card.html

    So your point is? That you bought an add in card?
    The 2400 still doesn't come stock with a 1394 port.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Another smartass know-it-all joins the group! Welcome................

    -"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    -Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
    calls
    -you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

    -Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
    may dislike
    -that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

    -Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    -Helen

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    |
    | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | |
    | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | | > Dave

    | |
    | |
    | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    | |
    | |
    | As does my Dimension 2400!
    |
    | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
    Did
    | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
    |
    | Tom

    Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
    calls
    you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

    Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
    may dislike
    that, but it doesn't change the facts!).

    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    Helen

    Helen,

    I know the specs of the 2400 inside out. I own one. I have no doubt that
    this machine has a 1394 point. However, it is NOT a standard item on a
    2400.

    Ironically, Stew was wrong and the 9100 doesn't either.

    I am not calling anyone a liar -- just misinformed on the specs that are
    standard on a 2400.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    |
    | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | |
    | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | | > USB does not work with digital camcorders!!
    | | > I do think it is quite odd that Dell does not include a firewire
    | | > port or ports on any of their computers by default.
    | | > Dave

    | |
    | |
    | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    | |
    | |
    | As does my Dimension 2400!
    |
    | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
    Did
    | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the port.
    |
    | Tom

    Nothing like knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in effect
    calls
    you a liar because he has superior knowledge!

    Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer! you
    may dislike
    that, but your disbelief doesn't change the facts! Poison will kill even
    though you
    believe it will not! Your belief doesn't change the fact!).

    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    Helen

    For a pictoral representation, go here:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_host_adapter_card.html

    Thank you for proving me correct that the port is not standard but an add-on
    card.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    > | "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > | |
    > | | "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | | >
    > | |
    > | |
    > | | The 9100 has 1394 by default.
    > | |
    > | |
    > | As does my Dimension 2400!
    > |
    > | No, it doesn't. The 2400 does not come with a standard firewire port.
    > Did
    > | you, by chance, order the Soundblaster Audigy 2 card? That adds the
    > port.
    > |
    > | Tom
    > |

    > Nothing line knowledge by one who has never seen your system, yet in
    > effect calls
    > you a liar because he has superior knowledge!
    >
    > Pray tell o wise one, what is this: (it came with my original computer!
    > you may dislike
    > that, but it doesn't change the facts!).
    >
    > Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    >
    > Helen
    >
    > Helen,
    >
    > I know the specs of the 2400 inside out. I own one. I have no doubt that
    > this machine has a 1394 point. However, it is NOT a standard item on a
    > 2400.
    >
    > Ironically, Stew was wrong and the 9100 doesn't either.
    >
    > I am not calling anyone a liar -- just misinformed on the specs that are
    > standard on a 2400.

    Yep, Tom caught me when I incorrectly thought and posted that the new 9100
    had firewire by default - it doesn't, and is still an option. (The few I've
    seen were loaded up, apparently).

    It's pretty apparent that Helen has an added PCI card of some sort on her
    2400.

    Stew
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Why not just use a USB2-to-Firewire conversion cable?
    You can pick one for for $1 on ebay.
    ($2 if you go buy-it-now).

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6784640143&category=51054&rd=1

    Dennis

    > Am I missing a port?
    > I was sure I was supposed to be getting a Firewire port!
    >
    > I'd planned to plug my digital video into it! Manual mentions it, but
    > I've inspected the back closely and no sign of it.

Dell Firewire Computers