Question about qraphics cards... honest.

lobley

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
I asked this in the appropriate forum, but there seems to be almost no trafic in there so it didn't get answered ever. I thought I'd bend the rules and ask it in this high-trafic forum.

(If anyone wants to castrate me - think before you show everyone where your priorities lie. (jk))

My CD drive is crap at reading CDs at full speed (32x) so I set it to 16 and it works perfectly. The problem is - I have to do this every time I put a new CD in (eject resets it to 32) and sometimes I don't get access to the facility for changing the speed (inside a game, or facility not loaded etc...). Also sometimes the label of the cd is too long and the speed changing thing tries to set that when it sets the speed (it must send *all* the properties even if they haven
't all changed) and fails because the label is too long.

My question is - is there a way of setting it so the cd drive reads cds at 16x speed as default? so that when I put a new cd in it is already reading at 16 speed?

Sorry for the OT question. And thanks in advance for any replies.

Peter. (p.s. (and my test to see if I can edit my post once it's posted) it is a CD writer)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lobley on 02/17/02 05:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lobley

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
I didn't mention because it wasn't relevant but... it *is* a writer. I am not a cheapskate - Writers are relatively expensive and I already have one.

Besides - if fixing a problem is free why spend money?

AHHHHHH you should have said that in the beginning. Most cdrw's are crappy at reading fast. they were not meant to be fast at reading. The 32x rating is at optimum conditions which rarely ever happen. Most cdrw do not use DMA which means everything read from the cd must go through the cpu first then to memory. Instead of from the cd directly to memory when a DMA drive is used.
When you ask a question here try to give all of the information about your hardware. Otherwise all we can do is guess!!!!!!! This is the second post of yours that I've read in which you didn't give all the facts. Bassically it sounds like you are trying to be a jerk by only giving partial specs and then wanting us to try to figure it out. As for your other post about stutters in D3D your cdrw is not fast enough to keep up.
The best solution is to buy a 48x or 52x cdrom drive.

I aint signing nothing!!!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Before more people tell me to upgrade - it is a writer and therefore upgrading would be expensive

As previously stated .. why not buy a cdrom as they are inexpensive .. 2 benefits to this .. more reliable for reading at high speed.. dosen't read atip info which means back ups made on your writer will usually work when played in cdrom .. on protected cd's this isn't always the case because they look at the atip info and if it sees a cdrw or cd-r it aborts the data..

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

lobley

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
I didn't mention that it was a cdrw at first because I didn't think it was relevant. afterall the *problem* was with the reading of cds which is what all cd drives do and is not relevant to writing or re-writing cds. AND I believe I asked a software type question, a question which _should_ have yielded the same answer as for an ordinary cd-rom drive. Instead people gave that same crappy 90s (or 00s) answer "I'm too lazy to fix things. I'll just go out into the garden where my money tree is and get some to buy a new one"

I am NOT going to buy a new one. I am instead going to wait for someone to read my question properly and understand it. As no-one has done so-far.

As for calling me a jerk, 1. I have explained the 'lack of information' - it was irrelevant (you'd have me say " I have a problem with my cpu. by the way, my hair is brown"

and 2. the post about stutters in D3D was NOT MINE! I replied to someone else's post about stutters in d3d, and I believe my help was more useful than all the other help he got.

So learn how threads/forums work and read questions properly before you throw insults around like confetti.

lobley

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
When you say buy a CD rom you mean to work alongside my cdr drive? I don't mean to be awkward but I tried getting two drives working in the past. maybe I am not doing it right but windows just couldn't cope with having 2 drives. the errors and performance problems doing so were frequent and diverse. AND I hear that having 2 cd drives in a system means that atleast one ide channel has to be shared - causing more pissing about and messing and slowness and crap, and MONEY SPENT, just so that I can have a reliable CD drive which I would HAVE WITHOUT ALL THAT if I could have it permanently default to 16x speed!!

Let's assume cd drives cost a million pounds so I can't afford them... can someone actualy read my question as it was asked instead of sidestepping it (no offence to polite replies, but that's what you've done) -

" how do I set my cd drive to always run at the lower speed?"

I am sorry for my hostility in this thread but It annoyed me that my question wasn't being answered literaly. it's a simple question. I don't need to buy a new drive because my cdrw drive works completely and utterly perfectly fine when I run it at 16x speed. and 16x is MORE than enough for my needs. (most of my games are max installs, often meaning the use of the cd is only as a check for authenticity - quake3 for example)

ahhggg! I just want to know how to have it run at 16x as a default!

I apologise again for my attitude.