Netgear support

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.pl.wirelesslan (More info?)

I bought a Netgear wgr614 wireless router in January, worked fine for about 3 months, then simply
stopped working. I removed it from the circuit and my internet connection is fine, so I'm sure
it's the router.
So I call netgear support and, after a very lenghty IVR system session, I finally connect to a
person. He spends about an hour with me trouble shooting the router. We set all kinds of config
settings and play all kinds of what ifs....router still not working. Then he says try it with
another computer and let us know how you make out before we send you the required return form
(RMA). So I fire up the laptop and of course the router doesn't work...surprise.....

Netgear has a guarantee of a year on their products, but they require you to get a form (RMA)
from them in order to return a bad product. I've been at this for 6 weeks now and still can't get
them to send me the form.
It's a good thing Netgear has a year warranty...it'll take me that long to get the form.
Anyone else run into support problems like this? Any suggestions for working with them or around
them???

Goodbye Netgear...hello Linksys.....what a lousy support process Netgear has, can't say much
about their products either...you'd think they'd make them to last longer than 3 months

Lac

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

steelie wrote:
> I bought a Netgear wgr614 wireless router in January, worked fine for about 3 months, then simply
> stopped working. I removed it from the circuit and my internet connection is fine, so I'm sure
> it's the router.
> So I call netgear support and, after a very lenghty IVR system session, I finally connect to a
> person. He spends about an hour with me trouble shooting the router. We set all kinds of config
> settings and play all kinds of what ifs....router still not working. Then he says try it with
> another computer and let us know how you make out before we send you the required return form
> (RMA). So I fire up the laptop and of course the router doesn't work...surprise.....
>
> Netgear has a guarantee of a year on their products, but they require you to get a form (RMA)
> from them in order to return a bad product. I've been at this for 6 weeks now and still can't get
> them to send me the form.
> It's a good thing Netgear has a year warranty...it'll take me that long to get the form.
> Anyone else run into support problems like this? Any suggestions for working with them or around
> them???
>
> Goodbye Netgear...hello Linksys.....what a lousy support process Netgear has, can't say much
> about their products either...you'd think they'd make them to last longer than 3 months

Don't get your hopes up. I've had both and the support is equally
"good" I got a ZyXEL (Zyair B-2000) that has 5 times features (under
$100) Unfortunately :) I don't know how good their support is because I
have not needed one. The router just works. Last time I checked it was
up for ~2000 hours. Try that with any other "consumer grade" product
(Netgear, Linksys, Dlink)

-L

"steelie" <steelielee46@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Netgear wgr614 wireless router in January, worked fine for
about 3 months, then simply
> stopped working. I removed it from the circuit and my internet connection
is fine, so I'm sure
> it's the router.
> So I call netgear support and, after a very lenghty IVR system session, I
finally connect to a
> person. He spends about an hour with me trouble shooting the router. We
set all kinds of config
> settings and play all kinds of what ifs....router still not working. Then
he says try it with
> another computer and let us know how you make out before we send you the
required return form
> (RMA). So I fire up the laptop and of course the router doesn't
work...surprise.....

> Netgear has a guarantee of a year on their products, but they require you
to get a form (RMA)
> from them in order to return a bad product. I've been at this for 6 weeks
now and still can't get
> them to send me the form.
> It's a good thing Netgear has a year warranty...it'll take me that long to
get the form.
> Anyone else run into support problems like this? Any suggestions for
working with them or around
> them???

are there local laws that make whoever sold it to you help?

in the UK you would be able to go through the supplier

--
Regards

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.pl.wirelesslan (More info?)

steelielee46@yahoo.com (steelie) wrote in

> Netgear has a guarantee of a year on their products, but they require
> you to get a form (RMA) from them in order to return a bad product.
> I've been at this for 6 weeks now and still can't get them to send me
> the form.

I never needed a form. I just told them it wasn't working and they RMAed it
immediately.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.pl.wirelesslan (More info?)

'Netgear support' is an oxymoron.
They work on the principle 'lets get it out there, get the punters to test
it, pile them high, sell them cheap, lets get the next model out... etc.'

One day soon their name will be synonymous with junk !
Regards,
Martin
(Netgear returned, Draytek Vigor 2600We untouched for over a year now)

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.pl.wirelesslan (More info?)

Good luck. After months of hassle I filed a BBB complaint. Netgear
acknowledged to the BBB that they were in the wrong. I then got a
personal call from their Customer Service Manager with all sorts of
promises. Nothing she promised ever happened.

In the rare event you get any commitments from Netgear they NEVER happen.

steelie wrote:

> I bought a Netgear wgr614 wireless router in January, worked fine for about 3 months, then simply
> stopped working. I removed it from the circuit and my internet connection is fine, so I'm sure
> it's the router.
> So I call netgear support and, after a very lenghty IVR system session, I finally connect to a
> person. He spends about an hour with me trouble shooting the router. We set all kinds of config
> settings and play all kinds of what ifs....router still not working. Then he says try it with
> another computer and let us know how you make out before we send you the required return form
> (RMA). So I fire up the laptop and of course the router doesn't work...surprise.....
>
> Netgear has a guarantee of a year on their products, but they require you to get a form (RMA)
> from them in order to return a bad product. I've been at this for 6 weeks now and still can't get
> them to send me the form.
> It's a good thing Netgear has a year warranty...it'll take me that long to get the form.
> Anyone else run into support problems like this? Any suggestions for working with them or around
> them???
>
> Goodbye Netgear...hello Linksys.....what a lousy support process Netgear has, can't say much
> about their products either...you'd think they'd make them to last longer than 3 months

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.pl.wirelesslan (More info?)

I've had very similar experiences with Netgear products. I agree,
stick with Linksys.

Adrian Martinez
http://www.segurogroup.com

lac wrote:

> Don't get your hopes up. I've had both and the support is equally
> "good" I got a ZyXEL (Zyair B-2000) that has 5 times features (under
> $100) Unfortunately :) I don't know how good their support is
> because I
> have not needed one. The router just works. Last time I checked it

I'm happy to hear that. I'm seriously considering using Zyxel B-4000 AP for
my next project. It's expensive but my peace of mind is worth any money. Any
other opinion about B-4000 or B-2000 v2?

--
Click here to contact me by email
http://cerbermail.com/?nutJaoMBZ6

Lac

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Grzegorz wrote:
> lac wrote:
>

>>Don't get your hopes up. I've had both and the support is equally
>>"good" I got a ZyXEL (Zyair B-2000) that has 5 times features (under
>>$100) Unfortunately :) I don't know how good their support is
>>because I
>>have not needed one. The router just works. Last time I checked it
>

> I'm happy to hear that. I'm seriously considering using Zyxel B-4000 AP for
> my next project. It's expensive but my peace of mind is worth any money. Any
> other opinion about B-4000 or B-2000 v2?

I actually just received B-2000 v2 (a replacement for v1) and so far so
good. v2 adds WPA, firewall and some other things. ZyXEL is replacing
v1's for v2's since they don't support WPA in v1's - a great gesture
from a company that values its customers.

Lac

bill

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.pl.wirelesslan (More info?)

Sorry to hear about all of your problems with Netgear products
and support. My experience has been nothing short of spectacular. I
have cable/ISDN/dialup routers, switches, etc. back to 1998 still
working perfectly.
My WGR614 v4 router has been up for 4 weeks straight. No
issues whatsoever. I had one RT-311 go bad, and they turned it around
in less than a week.

On 7 Jun 2004 21:44:58 -0700, adrian@segurogroup.com (Adrian Martinez)
wrote:

>I've had very similar experiences with Netgear products. I agree,
>stick with Linksys.
>
>Adrian Martinez
>http://www.segurogroup.com
>

>Larry Riffle <spamtrap47@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<40C4767A.8020509@adelphia.net>...
>> Good luck. After months of hassle I filed a BBB complaint. Netgear
>> acknowledged to the BBB that they were in the wrong. I then got a
>> personal call from their Customer Service Manager with all sorts of
>> promises. Nothing she promised ever happened.
>>
>> In the rare event you get any commitments from Netgear they NEVER happen.
>>
>> steelie wrote:
>>
>> > I bought a Netgear wgr614 wireless router in January, worked fine for about 3 months, then simply
>> > stopped working. I removed it from the circuit and my internet connection is fine, so I'm sure
>> > it's the router.
>> > So I call netgear support and, after a very lenghty IVR system session, I finally connect to a
>> > person. He spends about an hour with me trouble shooting the router. We set all kinds of config
>> > settings and play all kinds of what ifs....router still not working. Then he says try it with
>> > another computer and let us know how you make out before we send you the required return form
>> > (RMA). So I fire up the laptop and of course the router doesn't work...surprise.....
>> >
>> > Netgear has a guarantee of a year on their products, but they require you to get a form (RMA)
>> > from them in order to return a bad product. I've been at this for 6 weeks now and still can't get
>> > them to send me the form.
>> > It's a good thing Netgear has a year warranty...it'll take me that long to get the form.
>> > Anyone else run into support problems like this? Any suggestions for working with them or around
>> > them???
>> >
>> > Goodbye Netgear...hello Linksys.....what a lousy support process Netgear has, can't say much
>> > about their products either...you'd think they'd make them to last longer than 3 months

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.pl.wirelesslan (More info?)

Don't get me wrong. I agree completely with your opinion of Netgear's
products. I've never had occasion to return anything and I have a bunch.
My problems have all grown out of really trivial support issues that
required one sentence answers and instead turned into months of hassle.

The BBB complaint came from a very simple documentation error that took
three months, countless emails and calls, mail to their president and
finally "premium" service, to get an equally simple answer.

The Customer Service manager called weeks ago to apologize and get my
address so they could send a refund for the premium service. Still waiting.