G2ti or G4mx440 .. + other questions!

G

Is it true that these 2 cards share the same features/bells and whistles? I'm assuming that the mx440 is faster and has everything that the G2Ti does, is that true? Reason I ask is because I can get a G2Ti for $85 and a mx440 for $110. Do you think the mx440 is worth an extra $25?

OR... should I get a Radeon 7500? Is that better than the GF2 ti?

OR.. should I buck up and buy a G3ti200 .. I can get one for $150 .. do you think it's worth $65 more than a G2ti? At that price point should I just opt for the Radeon 8500 LE?

As you can see I'm stumped as to whihc card to get .. I currently have an old TNT2m64 .. I want to play Sturmovik at 32bit and 1024x768! BTW I am running a Pentium III 800mhz. Thank in advance for your help!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Go with the GF3 or the 8500. You get all the extra functions of DX8, so you will get a longer life out of the card. However, wait till Mid March when ATI and Nvidia make their move, as it will drop the price of those cards.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Darn, your going all the way up the tree in technology. Hey only pay +$25 to go up to the next level and so-on. In the end it's about how much you want to spend. Get the ati8500 for best valuw or the geforce4 for performance if you want to spend that much.

G

OK.. I bought my new card..

Gainward Geforce3 Ti 200 ! $160 shipped on newegg.com! I hope it's a good deal (performance for the buck!)

Anyone have a g3ti200 feel free to tell me how cool they are. Thanks for the advice.

G

I couldn't really find decent info on the 8500LE, 230 core etc... All the bench marks here I assume are for the retail 8500 w/ 275 core. The cheapest retail version of 8500 I could find (non-LE) was $220, $70 more that the G3Ti200 I got. I also read tons of awesome reviews for the Gainward version of the Ti200, it's very stable and over-clockable according to the consensus.. most ran it at G3 speeds without problems (250/500). Cool eh? The card for $131 on pricewatch doesnt include $14 for shippng, plus it's 'house brand', I paid an extra $10 for Gainward Manuf. suppost to have the best memory quality in the bunch. Thanks.

G

flamethrower205, I won;t be using it for anything other than gaming. :)

G

Why did you ask him that Flamethrower. I am wondering because I am getting ready to buy a GF2ti200 and I do use 3D studio Max. Did you have problems with it and if so what would you recommend. I also use it for gaming as well

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I was gonna tell him how to convert it to Quadro (or tell him of it, both, via software and hardware method). GF cards actually riun great w/ max...more stably than some Ati pro cards.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Yeah, I think's that's a pretty good idea. I'm a huge fan of the GeForce2 Titanium right now, and I think no one's giving it it's due credit. It will run anything you can throw at it today; I can't think of too many things that really need anything stronger. Of course, that's not the real reason I think that breygan's got the right idea..

Look at Pricewatch. The GF2Ti goes for $70, whereas the slower GF2 Pro goes for $85, and the oh-so-slightly faster GF2 Ultra goes for nearly twice what the GF2Ti goes for.

Yes, the GF3 Ti series is faster, but for well under $100, I think the GF2 Ti is by and large the best value out there.