I am sick of having to re-download the newsgroup list every time I
reinstall.
Does anyone know where the newsgroup list file is stored so that I can back
it up?

Thanks

Try: documents and settings\username\local settings\application
data\identities\{..}\microsoft\outlook express\folders.dbx

Maybe, no guarantee. Check it out yourself to be sure.