Binking Cursor at Startup - Need Help

Hello,

I have an AMD processor with 512Mb of RAM.

When I boot or re-boot my computer, I have recently been getting a black
screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. It
happens right after the BIOS display and before the Windows loading screen.
It blinks 44 times and then coninues with the boot. It eventually boots up
OK.

I have run Norton and Windows Diagnostics and have checked for conflicting
drivers and hardware.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about binking cursor startup help

    Anything visible on the 'black screen with blinking cursor' is a hardware
    issue because this is happening before Windows loads so any diagnostics
    you've run from within Windows won't find anything.

    Most likely there is something wrong with your motherboard and/or cpu and/or
    memory. Better check with the manufacturer for real-mode DOS diagnostics.

    "TomJ" <TomJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an AMD processor with 512Mb of RAM.
    >
    > When I boot or re-boot my computer, I have recently been getting a black
    > screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. It
    > happens right after the BIOS display and before the Windows loading
    > screen.
    > It blinks 44 times and then coninues with the boot. It eventually boots
    > up
    > OK.
    >
    > I have run Norton and Windows Diagnostics and have checked for conflicting
    > drivers and hardware.
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    > Thanks

Cursor Boot Windows XP