pretty lights

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I don't have a clue if it's video card problem or not, just guessing.

Once a while my screen goes black and get little green lines on top of the screen from left to right. It doesn't happen a lot (seen it only a few times in 1 year), but would be nice to know what makes my system do that. The only fix is reboot, no sound loop or anything else. Anyone?

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
If you are speaking of a florescent green bar code type line across the top of your monitor display, I experienced that before when I was running McAfee VirusScan as my antivirus program. I thought it was my ATI video drivers, but after dumping McAfee, that problem disappeared.

If this isn't what you are experiencing, disregard.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Yeah it's tiny neon green lines cross top of the screen, but I have no antivirus software installed right now so no clue (fresh install of OS).

It's just weird, another for the X-Files

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Could it possible be your video card drivers? Which video card do you have? The problem I had was like a trade-off. When I ran my system with standard vga with McAfee installed, everything worked fine.

Then if I restored the ATI drives w/McAfee...boom the problem reappeared. Since I was having other problems with McAfee I completely uninstalled it and my problem went away.

So, fire off an e-mail to your Graphic card manufacturer just to get their feedback. I do remember that shortly thereafter ATI came out with a new set of video drivers to correct some known bugs in the version I was using.

So, I can neither confirm nor deny that my problem was drivers or McAfee. However, a friend had the same problem, which was corrected by updating video drivers.

I do remember it was a perplexing and annoying problem. It would be erased from my display as soon as I opened a window and closed it, or used a window to move over it as though it were an eraser. Very weird problem, hope you can figure it out.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Yeah it's tiny neon green lines cross top of the screen, but I have no antivirus software installed right now so no clue (fresh install of OS).

It's just weird, another for the X-Files
Oops! I actually replied to myself by accident. (see my post).

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
GeF 2 GTS Deluxe, using the original drivers because detonator doesn't have easy Ctrl+Alt+T switch to TV and back. It's too much of a biotch to scream cross the house asking where to move the mouse and click when want to switch or do full screen. :) For real, I have no chance in hell to see the TV, it's in another room. Other than the green aliens (if that's vid problem) I never noticed any video problems, score slightly higher with detonator using 3DMark.

Anyway, here is my box:
XP1600+, Thermaltake Vulcano 7 sensor cut off for full speed
Asus A7V133(133A), updated BIOS for the XP, (10.5x133, 1.75V)
No name PC133 512Mb Ram 2x256
Asus GeForce 2 GTS Deluxe 32Mb
SB PCI 128 sound
D-Link DE-528 Ethernet combo
Acer 50x CD-ROM (sec. slave)
HP 9500 series CDR-RW (sec. master)
Maxtor 30Gig 7200 ATA100 (prim. master)
Seagate 30Gig 5400 ATA100 (prim. slave)
No name case with 300W PS, 2 cut fan mod. Replaced PS once when I was hunting for problem hardware, wasn't it.