Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Hi

Have a

gf2mx 400
512MB rAM
900 Mhz Athlon t-bird
Asus A7A266 Mobo

Generally just want some Graphics advice and am not sure this is the correct forum'but seemed likely so if not i apologise.

Basically i play games'games and more games.

I usually play them all on 800 x 600 with 16bit graphics though my card supports 32.

I'm quite happy with this and all my games play great and the graphics seem ok to me'but i just wanna know what i am missing or losing out on.

If i am right there are 2 different things that could affect my overall game speed'that i can change through settings'rather than a change of hardware.

The resolution from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 and the bits from 16mb to 32mb.

As far as think i know that these may improve quality'but at a price in framerate speed or system memory?

I just have a small 14" monitor so i don't think i'm missing much'but if you think i am or have a system that could easily handle the higher mb setting on the gf2 card and the resolution then please let me know.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanx

Thanx

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Yea get a monitor, 15" to play games, oh man. The monitor one of the most important parts of the computer becouse you use it all the time. Get a nice 17" or a 19" that supports 1200x1600. Then get a new gpu, other than that you got a nice rig. These upgrades can cost a lot though.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Mabey he has more monay then me but I don't like spending $450 anytime.
hehe, about a year ago, you would've been spending almost twice as much for similar hardware.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I spend over 3 grand for every upgrade I do....
And how often do you upgrade?

I upgrade every ~6 months for around $600-$1000CDN. My last upgrade was a Radeon 8500, Canon N1240U, and Canon S600.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
once I did it twice in 1 year
Wow! Impressive! J/K :lol:

I usually spend an arm and a leg when upgrading, I'm quite a few arms and legs overdrawn.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
If you play a lot of games and are gonna get a bigger monitor, it would make sense to upgrade your graphics card too. And if you really love games, I would suggest one of the GeForce4Ti cards. You won't regret it, except for the hole in your bank account perhaps. Then you'll get to play at higher resolutions at the top settings of the games with virtually no slowdowns, until doom3 is out ofcourse.

Its only now that the more demanding games are coming out. I've done ok with my Athlon650 with my GF256DDR for a loooong time! I'm going for a full upgrade soon. Not yet though. I'm gonna wait for the AMD thoroughbred. Then I'm getting an nice nForce mobo + the thoroughbred + the Fastest GF4 + maybe a gig of ram. And then depending on the number arms and legs I have left, maybe a 21" monitor with a vivid/High-Intensity colour mode.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>