Networking thru the Internet

Hi:

I want to know if I can make a specific hard drive on my PC available
through the net so my daughter in college can have access to that
particular
hard drive.

Thank you.

Bob Lally

It has removed 7399 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
11 answers Last reply
More about networking internet

    In article <b24Te.38154$PM3.26860@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
    bob_lally@prophezine.com says...
    > Hi:
    >
    > I want to know if I can make a specific hard drive on my PC available
    > through the net so my daughter in college can have access to that
    > particular
    > hard drive.

    Yes, you setup a VPN between the two computers. Depending on her access
    at the university she may not be able to do a VPN.

    You could host the files on a FTP site and allow her to access them
    through FPT.

    Allowing connections to your computer, via the internet, is a bad idea
    unless you know how to lock down the computer and now to setup a real
    firewall.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Use VNC take your pick
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-30,GGLG:en&q=VNC

    In article <rb5Te.431$wk6.75@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > Use VNC take your pick
    > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-30,GGLG:en&q=VNC

    VNC does not enable one to do FILE SHARING.

    VNC is a remote viewing utility that is very good at allowing one to
    remotely control another system, but it is not designed for FILE
    SHARING.

    File sharing is done via VPN or FTP so as to NOT expose the systems
    beyond the VPN ports.

    Bob Specifically asked:

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    CyberStalker stop stalking me.

    In article <7U7Te.560$JN5.41@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    @seedsv.com says...
    > CyberStalker stop stalking me.

    Look, you posted WRONG INFORMATION. If you can't get it right, expect
    those that can to correct you. As you've not done much to help anyone,
    except tell them to violate the groups standards for posting.

    VNC is not a FILE SHARING application - do you understand now?

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Stop Stalking me. Stop replying to my post. You are a stalker. Stop Stalking
    me you cyberstalker

    > In article <7U7Te.560$JN5.41@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
    > @seedsv.com says...
    >> CyberStalker stop stalking me.
    >
    > Look, you posted WRONG INFORMATION. If you can't get it right, expect
    > those that can to correct you. As you've not done much to help anyone,
    > except tell them to violate the groups standards for posting.
    >
    > VNC is not a FILE SHARING application - do you understand now?
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos:

    Thanks for the info. I ran an FTP server for a number of years and could
    use that method. But, I thought it would easier to just share a hard
    drive
    through the net.

    I know about VPN, Virtual Private Networks, but isn't there a way I could
    do
    this with windows XP and not install any additional hardware and software?
    I'll check some of the search engines.

    Thanks again.

    Bob Lally

    > In article <b24Te.38154$PM3.26860@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
    > bob_lally@prophezine.com says...
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I want to know if I can make a specific hard drive on my PC available
    > > through the net so my daughter in college can have access to that
    > > particular
    > > hard drive.
    >
    > Yes, you setup a VPN between the two computers. Depending on her access
    > at the university she may not be able to do a VPN.
    >
    > You could host the files on a FTP site and allow her to access them
    > through FPT.
    >
    > Allowing connections to your computer, via the internet, is a bad idea
    > unless you know how to lock down the computer and now to setup a real
    > firewall.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    It has removed 7438 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    In article <JAiTe.84218$Hx4.75645@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
    bob_lally@prophezine.com says...
    > Leythos:
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I ran an FTP server for a number of years and could
    > use that method. But, I thought it would easier to just share a hard
    > drive
    > through the net.
    >
    > I know about VPN, Virtual Private Networks, but isn't there a way I could
    > do
    > this with windows XP and not install any additional hardware and software?
    > I'll check some of the search engines.

    You can setup Windows XP to act as a PPTP inbound service connection -
    you could allow her to VPN outbound and then connect to your computer
    using a VPN connection.

    I would NOT do this if I want to keep my machine safe, if I value
    anything on the machine, etc...

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos:

    I was planning on using a cheap PC with nothing else on it except a large
    hard drive.

    You seem knowledgeable about this...How difficult is it to invade a VPN
    created with Windows XP on either end? Also, how many people can connect
    into the Windows based VPN at one time?

    Thanks.

    Bob

    > In article <JAiTe.84218$Hx4.75645@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
    > bob_lally@prophezine.com says...
    > > Leythos:
    > >
    > > Thanks for the info. I ran an FTP server for a number of years and
    could
    > > use that method. But, I thought it would easier to just share a hard
    > > drive
    > > through the net.
    > >
    > > I know about VPN, Virtual Private Networks, but isn't there a way I
    could
    > > do
    > > this with windows XP and not install any additional hardware and
    software?
    > > I'll check some of the search engines.
    >
    > You can setup Windows XP to act as a PPTP inbound service connection -
    > you could allow her to VPN outbound and then connect to your computer
    > using a VPN connection.
    >
    > I would NOT do this if I want to keep my machine safe, if I value
    > anything on the machine, etc...
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    It has removed 7486 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    In article <M%jTe.84887$Hx4.84341@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
    bob_lally@prophezine.com says...
    > Leythos:
    >
    > I was planning on using a cheap PC with nothing else on it except a large
    > hard drive.
    >
    > You seem knowledgeable about this...How difficult is it to invade a VPN
    > created with Windows XP on either end? Also, how many people can connect
    > into the Windows based VPN at one time?

    Maybe you should tell us what type of files she'll be accessing - if she
    only needs to FETCH files, meaning that she doesn't need to write files
    to your system, then you could setup a web service using SSL and she
    could access them directly through Internet Explorer at her end - you
    would install IIS and only allow SSL connections on your end.

    To setup XP as a VPN Service and then as a client:
    How to configure Win 2000/XP Pro as VPN host

    Prior to Windows 2000/XP Pro, you must add PPTP on NT 4.0 Server to
    establish VPN connections. With the release of Windows 2000/XP Pro, you
    have the ability to run a Windows 2000/XP Pro as a VPN host. However,
    Windows 2000/XP Pro enables only one VPN connection at a time and
    requires Internet Protocol (IP).

    Before you start the VPN configuration, you should have a equipment
    (modem, T1, Frame Relay, ADSL, or cable modem) connecting to the
    Internet. Also make sure you have correct TCP/IP settings on the W2K/XP.

    To setup Win XP (in our case) Pro as VPN host, go to the Properties of
    My Network Places>Create a New Connections>Set up a Advanced Connection>
    Accept Incoming Connections. On the Devices for Incoming Connections
    dialog box, do not select any device, only click Next and check Allow
    Private Connections, and then click Next. On the Allowed Users dialog
    box, select or add all users for whom you want to enable access. The
    accounts have to exist on both computers that are involved in
    establishing the VPN connection. On the New Connection Wizard, File and
    Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and
    Client for Microsoft Networks should be listed as networking components.
    By default, Allow callers to access my local area network and Assign
    TCP/IP address automatically using DHCP are checked. If you would like
    to keep the default settings, click Next to continue. Now, the Incoming
    Connection icon should show on Incoming section under the Properties of
    My Network Places and is ready to use.
    How to configure a W2K/XP as VPN client

    To connect to a VPN server, you should have a dail-in modem or a
    dedicated connection to the Internet. To setup a XP client to access the
    VPN host, go to the Properties of My Network Places>Create a New
    Connections>Connect to the network at my workplace>Virtual Private
    Network connection. Type Computer that will be showed as connection name
    in VPN section, select Do not dial the initial connection and then type
    the VPN host IP. You have two options to create this connection for
    anyone or for yourself.

    I copied the above from this site:
    http://www.chicagotech.net/vpnsetup.htm#How%20to%20configure%20Win%
    202000/XP%20Pro%20as%20VPN%20host

    --

> [...]
    > By default, Allow callers to access my local area network and Assign
    > TCP/IP address automatically using DHCP are checked. If you would like
    > to keep the default settings, click Next to continue. Now, the Incoming
    > Connection icon should show on Incoming section under the Properties of
    > My Network Places and is ready to use.
    > How to configure a W2K/XP as VPN client
    >
    > To connect to a VPN server, you should have a dail-in modem or a
    > dedicated connection to the Internet. To setup a XP client to access the
    > VPN host, go to the Properties of My Network Places>Create a New
    > Connections>Connect to the network at my workplace>Virtual Private
    > Network connection. Type Computer that will be showed as connection name
    > in VPN section, select Do not dial the initial connection and then type
    > the VPN host IP. You have two options to create this connection for

Networking Hard Drives Internet Windows XP