Windows XP SP2 keeps Rebooting - Please Help

Hi,

I installed Windows XP SP2 (Home - OEM -
Full Edition) and a PC and it has been working fine for a few months. We had
family visit over the weekend and now, what happens is that the computer
keeps rebooting during the time the Windows XP is loading. I've tried Safe
mode, Last known Good Config, Normal Mode, Command Prompt, booting from the
CD, etc. And for each way, at some point during the loading of XP, the
computer just reboots.

I'm fairly familiar with how to fix many PC problems, however I can't get to
any point where I can try anything.

Any help?

Thanks
Garrett
5 answers Last reply
More about windows rebooting help

    Try doing a repair install:-

    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    These sites may also be of some use:-

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/? id=822705

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and
    Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

    I know this may sound patronising but you have gone into the BIOS, set
    the CDROM drive to be the first boot device, rebooted and got the
    "press any key to boot from the CD" and then hit enter and heard the CD
    drive wind up haven't you?

    If all the above is correct then you may have a faulty CD, do you have
    access to another CD of the same type? If so then try booting from that
    and use the CD key that came with your CD (the keys are not hard coded
    to the CDs)

    Hi,

    Thanks for the suggestions - I want to do a repair install - however, when I
    boot of the CDROM, I can't get to the "Welcome to Windows" screen that gives
    me that option. It starts to load files and, towards the ends of this
    process, it reboots again.

    Garrett

    "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try doing a repair install:-
    >
    > How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
    >
    > These sites may also be of some use:-
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    > http://support.microsoft.com/? id=822705
    >

    > How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    > Starting
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
    >

    > How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and
    > Windows Server 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

    I had the same problem, some days ago, with a notebook and discovered that i
    have a faulty memory module. It's better you to check that out.

    www.memtest86.com

    "tterrag smis" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed Windows XP SP2 (Home - OEM -
    > Full Edition) and a PC and it has been working fine for a few months. We had
    > family visit over the weekend and now, what happens is that the computer
    > keeps rebooting during the time the Windows XP is loading. I've tried Safe
    > mode, Last known Good Config, Normal Mode, Command Prompt, booting from the
    > CD, etc. And for each way, at some point during the loading of XP, the
    > computer just reboots.
    >
    > I'm fairly familiar with how to fix many PC problems, however I can't get to
    > any point where I can try anything.
    >
    > Any help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Garrett

    Hi - I did that - but I haven't tried a different XP CD - I will do that
    tonight.

    >I know this may sound patronising but you have gone into the BIOS, set
    > the CDROM drive to be the first boot device, rebooted and got the
    > "press any key to boot from the CD" and then hit enter and heard the CD
    > drive wind up haven't you?
    >
    > If all the above is correct then you may have a faulty CD, do you have
    > access to another CD of the same type? If so then try booting from that
    > and use the CD key that came with your CD (the keys are not hard coded
    > to the CDs)

Computers Windows XP