G

Gf4mx440 is just slightly slower than the geforce 3 ti200 and it is less expensive too.

Will vertex shader or pixel shader for DirectX 8 support be such a big deal ? Only a tiny few new games in the future will use these and by that time the geforce 3 ti200 will be very much out of date anyway.

How much performance hit will the 440 get for those new games ? I'm assuming it would still be quite good (not talking full detail 1600x1024 here)

so for the gamer that only plays in 1024x768 ...will the gf4 mx440 be a good card ? especially when a gainward gf4 mx440 can be overclocked to be faster than the ti 200 and will cost me way less than a ti 200

G

oh, and I just wanted opinions about the gaming performance between these two cards. don't tell me to buy a radeon 8500 ...cos i'm not in america and they are very expensive here.

also won't future drivers make the gf4 mx faster than the gf3 ti 200 ?

G

I forgot ...The Gainward gf4 mx 440 with golden sample when converted to US currency will cost me about US$60 less than the gf3 ti 200

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It really depends on the price differential. At the same price I would go with the Geforce3 Ti200 but for a significant difference (which $60 USD is) the Geforce4 MX440 is looking mighty nice to me.

Here is another good review to help you decide. You'll have to study the graphs carefully (worst use of bar graphs I've ever seen). Keep in mind that the MX440's seem to overclock easily to the MX460's stock speeds (and higher). The MSI MX440 has 4ns memory which means it should overclock to 500 mhz.

Here's the review link.

<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles/gf4mx/index.html" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles/gf4mx/index.html</A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
GeForce3 Ti200 by far.... GeForce4 MX, Lacks of limited vertex and No Pixel shaders mean you can't play both Doom 3 and Quake 4 you might be stuck in 640x480 with nothing enabled.

Feature games will require vertex and pixel shaders which the GeForce 4 Mx lacks of !!!!

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Feature games will require vertex and pixel shaders
That has yet to be seen.
you can't play both Doom 3 and Quake 4 you might be stuck in 640x480 with nothing enabled
Remember some aspects of pixel shading can't even be emulated, like shimmering water, random waves, etc. These features might be turned off with cards that don't support them. This does not mean you need to drop to ridiculously low resolutions. It just means the effects can't be seen.

By the time these effects become common and mandatory there will be a new crop video cards on the market. That is, you don't necessarily have to buy an advanced card now.

Who said you'd be forced to 640x480 for Doom 3? Not even John Carmack said that. He did say, "GF4-MX will still run Doom properly, but it will be using the NV10 codepath with only two texture units and no vertex shaders." This does not directly speak of performance but only quality. We do not yet know what the performance will be. At least owners of older graphics cards won't be locked out from using the game. What makes you think a Geforce3 Ti200 will be adequate for the game? Besides, isn't Doom 3 still close to a year from release? If I want to play Doom 3 at that time I'll be looking for a geforce 5 (or higher).

By the way, Doom 3 is about the only game that would get me to look for the best video card. I loved the original Doom.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/21/02 02:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>