DOS doesn't work anymore!

Hi folks. This is my first visit here, so my problem may have a well-
known fix, I hope.
My OmniBook started making burnt-plastic smells so I got a new laptop. I
have a large database programmed in QuickBasic 4.5. When I run QBasic
(off the Windows 98SE disk) under Command Prompt, it can't access any
files and quits on Bad File Mode error. I think this is because
everything in XP is NTFS.
So ...
1) Get Microsoft to fix their half-assed DOS emulator. Not likely.
2) Wipe the disk, format it as FAT32, and reinstall XP. What utilities
do this? -- not Disk Management or DiskPart as far as I can tell. Will
DOS apps read FAT32 files?
3) Make a FAT32 partition (how?), install another copy of XP in it. No
advantage over #2, I would think.
3a) Make a FAT32 partition and install Windows 98SE. Probably would
cause horrendous conflicts.
4) Make a FAT partition and keep the data files in it. Will XP
translate an NTFS file into FAT (or FAT32) when I move it into the new
partition?
5) Wipe the disk, trash XP, and install Linux. Their DOS emulator
works.
6) Find a still-working OmniBook and buy it cheap.

Any other (polite) suggestion?
11 answers Last reply
More about doesn work anymore

    "Ed Ferris" <pseudo@nym.gov> wrote in message
    > Hi folks. This is my first visit here, so my problem may have a well-
    > known fix, I hope.
    > My OmniBook started making burnt-plastic smells so I got a new laptop.
    > have a large database programmed in QuickBasic 4.5. When I run QBasic
    > (off the Windows 98SE disk) under Command Prompt, it can't access any
    > files and quits on Bad File Mode error. I think this is because
    > everything in XP is NTFS.
    > So ...
    > 1) Get Microsoft to fix their half-assed DOS emulator. Not likely.
    > 2) Wipe the disk, format it as FAT32, and reinstall XP. What
    > utilities
    > do this? -- not Disk Management or DiskPart as far as I can tell.
    > Will
    > DOS apps read FAT32 files?
    > 3) Make a FAT32 partition (how?), install another copy of XP in it.
    > No
    > advantage over #2, I would think.
    > 3a) Make a FAT32 partition and install Windows 98SE. Probably would
    > cause horrendous conflicts.
    > 4) Make a FAT partition and keep the data files in it. Will XP
    > translate an NTFS file into FAT (or FAT32) when I move it into the new
    > partition?
    > 5) Wipe the disk, trash XP, and install Linux. Their DOS emulator
    > works.
    > 6) Find a still-working OmniBook and buy it cheap.
    >
    > Any other (polite) suggestion?

    The NT kernel never has allowed direct hardware access (except by
    privileged drivers). You didn't bother to mention what OS you had on
    your old computer to give a clue as to why your old program would work
    over there. The DOS *shell* you use in NT is NOT an emulator. It's
    just a console mode DOS *shell*. Sounds like you probably had
    DOS/Win9x-ME on your old computer and now you expect old programs that
    bypassed the OS and made direct hardware access to also work under an NT
    kernel.

    Have you yet tried to use the compatibility mode? Start -> Help and
    Support, search on "compatibility mode". Might work, might not if your
    program is indeed trying to directly access the hardware. If none of
    the compatibility modes work, start looking into multi-booting of
    different operating systems where you use a boot manager, like BootMagic
    or BootIT NG. It's too late to think about dual-booting unless you know
    how to recover the system partition's boot sector where you installed
    Windows XP because a later install of Windows 9x/ME will overwrite it
    and make Windows XP unusable. Or you could use Virtual PC to use load a
    virtual instance of an old Windows 9x/ME to run your old program under
    it, but you'll need to make sure you have lots of memory so you can
    allocate enough to the guest OS(es) and to the parent OS.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

    Ed Ferris wrote:
    > Hi folks. This is my first visit here, so my problem may have a well-
    > known fix, I hope.
    > My OmniBook started making burnt-plastic smells so I got a new
    > laptop. I have a large database programmed in QuickBasic 4.5. When
    > I run QBasic (off the Windows 98SE disk) under Command Prompt, it
    > can't access any files and quits on Bad File Mode error. I think
    > this is because everything in XP is NTFS.
    > So ...
    > 1) Get Microsoft to fix their half-assed DOS emulator. Not likely.
    > 2) Wipe the disk, format it as FAT32, and reinstall XP. What
    > utilities do this? -- not Disk Management or DiskPart as far as I can
    > tell. Will DOS apps read FAT32 files?
    > 3) Make a FAT32 partition (how?), install another copy of XP in it.
    > No advantage over #2, I would think.
    > 3a) Make a FAT32 partition and install Windows 98SE. Probably would
    > cause horrendous conflicts.
    > 4) Make a FAT partition and keep the data files in it. Will XP
    > translate an NTFS file into FAT (or FAT32) when I move it into the new
    > partition?
    > 5) Wipe the disk, trash XP, and install Linux. Their DOS emulator
    > works.
    > 6) Find a still-working OmniBook and buy it cheap.
    >
    > Any other (polite) suggestion?

    As long as your looking for options, why not just install DOS 6.22 in a separate partition?
    You can freely move files between partitions. The file format of a partition is not an issue.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    In news:Xns96C8DC31D9705edfcorecom@216.168.3.44,
    Ed Ferris <pseudo@nym.gov> had this to say:

    > Hi folks. This is my first visit here, so my problem may have a well-
    > known fix, I hope.
    > My OmniBook started making burnt-plastic smells so I got a new
    > laptop. I have a large database programmed in QuickBasic 4.5. When
    > I run QBasic (off the Windows 98SE disk) under Command Prompt, it
    > can't access any files and quits on Bad File Mode error. I think
    > this is because everything in XP is NTFS.
    > So ...
    > 1) Get Microsoft to fix their half-assed DOS emulator. Not likely.
    > 2) Wipe the disk, format it as FAT32, and reinstall XP. What
    > utilities do this? -- not Disk Management or DiskPart as far as I can
    > tell. Will DOS apps read FAT32 files?
    > 3) Make a FAT32 partition (how?), install another copy of XP in it.
    > No advantage over #2, I would think.
    > 3a) Make a FAT32 partition and install Windows 98SE. Probably would
    > cause horrendous conflicts.
    > 4) Make a FAT partition and keep the data files in it. Will XP
    > translate an NTFS file into FAT (or FAT32) when I move it into the new
    > partition?
    > 5) Wipe the disk, trash XP, and install Linux. Their DOS emulator
    > works.
    > 6) Find a still-working OmniBook and buy it cheap.
    >
    > Any other (polite) suggestion?

    In addition to the other answers, I have found that this is an often
    effective solution.

    DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    There's a bit of a learning curve but it's fairly well laid out and not too
    difficult to master in but a few minutes. It's a DOS emulation that can be
    used within XP without any problems. It's often recommended by me in the
    gaming areas or for people who are looking for compatibility with older
    applications. Again, it's not the easiest thing on the planet to figure out
    but it's not the hardest either. If you were fluent in DOS and understand
    needing a front-end (though I think you can get a package with it already
    loaded now) then you're good to go and can even get the source for it and
    modify it to your likings though that's never been required by anyone who's
    used it for simple things like you intend to do with it.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in

    > In addition to the other answers, I have found that this is an often
    > effective solution.
    >
    > DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    Thanks for the tip. I downloaded it, got QBasic running and it couldn't
    open any file -- Bad File Mode again. Looks like I'll have to split off a
    partition and put the Basic programs and data in there.

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in

    > As long as your looking for options, why not just install DOS 6.22 in
    > a separate partition? You can freely move files between partitions.
    > The file format of a partition is not an issue.

    That is a better idea, install DOS to run DOS programs. I think you're
    telling me that XP will change the file format from NTFS to FAT if I move
    a file from the XP partition to the DOS one. If so, that would work.

    From the XP Help, I gather that I have to install DOS first so it won't
    write over the XP boot sector. If this is necessary, I'll have to wipe
    the existing XP partition and re-install XP after DOS. This makes me
    nervous about the hidden and unnamed partitions, but I'll give it a try.

    Next step is to find a utility that will split off 4GB from the C:
    partition while XP is still running in it. As I mentioned, it doesn't
    look like DiskPart will do this.

    Thanks for the help, all!

    The files are not in "NTFS" file format or "DOS" format. They are just
    files. The filesystem does not matter to applications, unless they
    work at the lower level of the hardware. Qbasic does not.

    I suggest you simply boot off of a DOS/Windows9x boot disk. Place your
    Qbasic files on the same floppy or a seperate one if you need the space
    and see if you can run the files from there before playing around with
    partitions.
    Ed Ferris wrote:
    > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in
    >
    > > As long as your looking for options, why not just install DOS 6.22 in
    > > a separate partition? You can freely move files between partitions.
    > > The file format of a partition is not an issue.
    > >

    > That is a better idea, install DOS to run DOS programs. I think you're
    > telling me that XP will change the file format from NTFS to FAT if I move
    > a file from the XP partition to the DOS one. If so, that would work.
    >
    > From the XP Help, I gather that I have to install DOS first so it won't
    > write over the XP boot sector. If this is necessary, I'll have to wipe
    > the existing XP partition and re-install XP after DOS. This makes me
    > nervous about the hidden and unnamed partitions, but I'll give it a try.
    >
    > Next step is to find a utility that will split off 4GB from the C:
    > partition while XP is still running in it. As I mentioned, it doesn't
    > look like DiskPart will do this.
    >
    > Thanks for the help, all!

    Option 5, going with linux is the best solution. Also I know in the
    retail copy of XP it gives you the option of formatting in the
    partition of your choice.

    Here's what worked and what didn't, in case somebody else has the same

    problem. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1200 notebook.

    Bought a USB floppy drive.
    Booted from the Win98 Startup floppy.
    Ran FDISK.
    Deleted C partition.
    Created C partition (4GB) as Primary DOS Partition.
    Marked it Active.
    Created D partition (the rest) as Extended DOS Partition.
    Re-booted, selecting CD-ROM support.
    Formatted C and D as FAT32.
    Installed Win98 in C partition by running win98\SETUP.
    Inserted WinXP Re-Install CD and booted from it.
    Formatted D as FAT32 (yes, again).
    Installed WinXP in D partition.
    Obtained Drivers CD from Dell and installed them.
    Installed QuickBasic from floppy in C:\Program Files.

    Now Basic runs fine but I don't have Stand By or Hibernate in either

    Windows. Win98 doesn't have the device drivers so it can't use the

    modem or CD drive. On startup, the boot menu gives me a choice of

    WinXP, WinXP (version from a false start earlier), or Win98.

    Things that didn't work:

    Just re-formatting C as FAT32 and re-installing WinXP. QBasic quits
    on

    Bad File Mode.
    Not formatting D while installing Win98. ScanDisk reports an error
    and

    Setup quits.
    Not formatting D before installing WinXP. It expects to find HAL.DLL

    and quits when it doesn't.
    Re-installing XP from the Re-Install disk, without the drivers.

    Doesn't even see the modem or CD drive.
    Trying to install Win98 from inside WinXP. Win98 Setup says you can't

    do that.
    Trying to boot from Win98 CD. It's not bootable.

    I didn't install DOS because I don't have installation disks and
    wasn't

    sure that just copying it from my 486 would work.
    Does the license for one copy on one computer mean you can legally

    transfer the OS to another computer when the first one dies? Maybe I

    shouldn't ask that.

    Ed Ferris wrote:
    > Here's what worked and what didn't, in case somebody else has the same
    > snip<

    Ed

    Thanks for letting us know how you sorted this problem. :)

    > Does the license for one copy on one computer mean you can legally
    >
    > transfer the OS to another computer when the first one dies? Maybe I
    >
    > shouldn't ask that.

    As long as the OS is a retail version and not OEM you can transfer it as many times as you wish.

    --

    "Gunther" <steevjohal@gmail.com> wrote in

    > Option 5, going with linux is the best solution. Also I know in the
    > retail copy of XP it gives you the option of formatting in the
    > partition of your choice.

    Ah,but Linux DOSEMU states that it doesn't handle the kernel ring
    problem which DOS Basic evidently has. I would much prefer a command-
    line interface instead of all these g*ddamn windows.

    Also, one glitch I forgot to mention. In Win98 Setup, unplug the USB
    floppy drive immediately after you make a Startup disk or before you
    click OK to skip making one. Setup will hang on "detecting hardware"
    if you don't remove the drive. (On my computer, at least.)

    Ed Ferris <none@nowhere.com> wrote in news:Xns96CC64CDE84F9edfcorecom@
    216.168.3.44:

    > Here's what worked and what didn't, in case somebody else has the
    same

    > problem. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1200 notebook.

    But after doing all that I now find that QuickBasic 4.5 will run, by
    itself, through a shortcut, or at Command Prompt, under WinXP. So,
    *DO NOT RE-PARTITION AND INSTALL WIN98*
    Look up the "QBasic" thread for easier solutions.
    Again, it DID NOT work on my WinXP system originally.

Windows XP