Increasing signal strength of netgear WGR614

Can someone point me to a way to increase the signal strength of my
netgear router (WGR614)?

Or, is there a way to increase the ability of a laptop to pick up a
weak signal?

Thanks for any help you can give.
1 answer Last reply
More about increasing signal strength netgear wgr614

    <gustavo glenmorangie> wrote in message
    > Can someone point me to a way to increase the signal strength of my
    > netgear router (WGR614)?
    >
    > Or, is there a way to increase the ability of a laptop to pick up a
    > weak signal?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.

    As far as I can see there are a number of ways of answering this ..

    1 move the 2 devices closer together ... or reduce the number / thickness
    of any obstructions ... perhaps relocating the WAP?

    2 Put a higher gain antenna on the WAP (not sure if this is possible with
    the WGR614) ... either omnidirectional, or directional, depending on the
    possible locations of the laptop.

    3 Add a repeater unit ... located somewhere between the laptop and the
    router/WAP...

    I have a vague recollection of something called a "leaky feeder" which I
    think was used in mines to allow radio to work underground ... I wonder if
    that principle could be used in this circumstance ???

    Could, say, a house's radiator system, or indeed the mains wiring be used as
    a leaky feeder for wifi?

    Regards

    John

Wireless Netgear Internet Wireless Networking