Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Going to study IT ?

Tags:
  • Virtualization
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
October 19, 2012 2:32:58 AM

in the AUK employee he told me to have IT bachelor you have to finish 40 subjects ? what are the general subjects of IT ?

More about : study

November 22, 2012 5:12:05 PM

johnnyq8 said:
in the AUK employee he told me to have IT bachelor you have to finish 40 subjects ? what are the general subjects of IT ?

A+, Security+, Network Pro, Usual Microsoft Certs (Google) and for good measure try getting the Cisco Certs as well.

The A+, Security+, Network Pro is pretty much for starters to get into the business, and im studying those subjects currently.

It also depends on what systems your going to be supporting.

For instance, if your supporting the Windows based enterprise, then you'd want to take the certifications to move you farther in that field.

Linux, there's a whole load of certifications to support and show you know the basics of Linux administration.

Summary : Go for the A+, Security+, Network Pro for starters.
November 28, 2012 1:12:59 PM

im just finishing my 2 year IT school. the minimum you should ever have for certs when coming out is A+, Net+, MCP. Alot of companies still use xp so deff study your MCP. Also I would reccommend server and MCTS for windows 7 as a base and if you want to go fully into windows 7 get study hard for your MCITP which is multiple certs.

there are so many field you can go into but you have to find what you really want to go into. security is a very good paying field but its also very hard and if you mess up in a company doing that say goodbye to your career.

Linux you can go into but im not sure many companies really use that unless its for a server etc but thats a crazy field to get used to.

either way goodluck in the start of your school you will learn many things and hopefully enjoy it

I originally was going to get my bachelors for IT but it was crazy since they wanted you to start out taking programming for java which is no fun, i had alot of trouble in it when i was going to my university. I already had taken C++ in highschool and it was very similar coding. I will never recommend programing to anyone in the it field because its computer science and not IT
Related resources
November 28, 2012 1:42:18 PM

If you cannot program or develop basic software (or don't want to) then do not study IT.

In less than 3 years every IT job will require people to have basic to intermediate programming skills.

Even for Network Security you will need to write scripts to program a network router via it's command line interface.

If you already have 3-5 years IT experience, then don't let me turn you off a career path, just be prepared for what you'll be getting into.

- SDB
November 28, 2012 9:28:49 PM

@ Scott

I'm going to disagree. Scripting and programming are different things. I can say (as I have a degree designed for programming) that knowing some programming, how APIs interact in an environment, and the specialized logical reasoning are HUGE boons - but developing a .Net application and configuring a Cisco Router using iOS are two very different things.

Edited for clarity. It's been a long day.
December 3, 2012 4:30:32 PM

life for a IT person that can not do simple scripts can be pretty nasty. If you can not create scripts make sure you get paid by the hour because you will be working a lot of overtime. You will also help justify using cloud source support by people who do write and use scripts.

several months ago I examined a organization what was buying $600 machines expected 8 year life of the machines. They pay $2400 per machine each year in IT support costs. It was really shocking talking to the IT people and how they ran things. Poor management and untrained IT people. They just operate in put out the fire mode all the time. They are paid on salary, one woman indicated she worked 7 days a week and was given a starbucks card as her reward. Problems all around.
December 3, 2012 4:34:14 PM

I'm currently finishing up my Network Pro class, Network Security up next woot woot :D 

@Scott "Even for Network Security you will need to write scripts to program a network router via it's command line interface. "
Uhm in networking and networking security you learn the protocols you will use for VLAN communications (example) and NOT actually write them
January 20, 2013 2:15:17 PM

The routers, the good ones, need to be set-up using a command line interface.
- That's generally done using scripts.

Not even programmers will 'write their own IP protocol driver' as it has already been done for them in 99% of cases.