Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WARNINIG! MS Updates deleting ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:02:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've installed all the latest XP updates on several workstations and
the ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS feature is getting screwed-up.

It will show the first group of about (5) installed apps and then it is
blank.
You will have scroll all the way down the page and you find the others.
But there will be some that are not showing up.
This has happened on several of my PC's.
Has anyone else had this problem yet?


Terry
Desktop Support Technician
Dallas,TX
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:51:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
see if this is the problem.

If it is...

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddre...

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-lan...

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----
***
From anonymous poster...

One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.
-----

Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends them
to a log file.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/
ARPNegCheck.vbs
Lists all negative icon references in Add/Remove

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs

From...
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Dowload the script. Run it by double clicking ARPNegCheck.vbs.
NegativeIcons.txt will be saved to your Desktop.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1126018926.559668.11450@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
terry75115@yahoo.com <terry75115@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> I've installed all the latest XP updates on several workstations and
> the ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS feature is getting screwed-up.
>
> It will show the first group of about (5) installed apps and then it is
> blank.
> You will have scroll all the way down the page and you find the others.
> But there will be some that are not showing up.
> This has happened on several of my PC's.
> Has anyone else had this problem yet?
>
>
> Terry
> Desktop Support Technician
> Dallas,TX
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:17:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

These fixes are not working.
Going into the REGISTRY and looking for a -1 does not work.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
At this location of the REGISTRY, the programs listed are not the ones
that are showing in ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Anyone else fixed this problem?

Terry
Desktop Support Technician
Dallas,TX




Wesley Vogel wrote:
> Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
> you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
> see if this is the problem.
>
> If it is...
>
> Courtesy of Kelly
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Add or Remove - White Space
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws
>
> [[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
> here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
> application listed:
> Start/Run/Regedit:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]
>
> AutoCad Fix
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddre...
>
> Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-lan...
>
> ===
>
> I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
> shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
> registry...
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
> {5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
> Value Name: DisplayIcon
> Value Type: REG_SZ
> Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1
>
> Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1
>
> Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
> autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
> autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
> the fix than changing the -1.
>
> I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
> remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
> it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
> work. Until the next time. ;-)
>
> autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
> folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
> {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
> Value Name: DisplayIcon
> Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
> Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico
>
> autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
> %systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
> {5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
> Value Name: DisplayIcon
> Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
> Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
> -----
> ***
> From snowman...
> AutoCAD 2002 is
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
> {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
> -----
> ***
> From anonymous poster...
>
> One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
> that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.
> -----
>
> Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends them
> to a log file.
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/
> ARPNegCheck.vbs
> Lists all negative icon references in Add/Remove
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs
>
> From...
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Dowload the script. Run it by double clicking ARPNegCheck.vbs.
> NegativeIcons.txt will be saved to your Desktop.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1126018926.559668.11450@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> terry75115@yahoo.com <terry75115@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I've installed all the latest XP updates on several workstations and
> > the ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS feature is getting screwed-up.
> >
> > It will show the first group of about (5) installed apps and then it is
> > blank.
> > You will have scroll all the way down the page and you find the others.
> > But there will be some that are not showing up.
> > This has happened on several of my PC's.
> > Has anyone else had this problem yet?
> >
> >
> > Terry
> > Desktop Support Technician
> > Dallas,TX
Related resources
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:28:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I fixed it!!!!!

I was in the wrong location.
I was in DISPLAYNAME looking for a -1, but it is DISPLAYICON.

Thanks fellows

Terry
Desktop Support Technician
Dallas,TX
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:43:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Glad you fixed it. Remember how you did because it will happen again.

Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1126193307.907383.246690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
terry75115@yahoo.com <terry75115@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> I fixed it!!!!!
>
> I was in the wrong location.
> I was in DISPLAYNAME looking for a -1, but it is DISPLAYICON.
>
> Thanks fellows
>
> Terry
> Desktop Support Technician
> Dallas,TX
!