Graphic Card Reviews

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
Has anyone else noticed that when Nvidia launches a new graphics card line - several tech sites do in-depth reviews on cards provided by Nvidia.

Then, consumers usually have to wait (typically a couple of months) for comprehensive reviews of the actual cards manufactures put on the shelves.

Why is that? Why do tech sites do reviews on cards no one puts in their machines? Is there a huge difference between say, an Asus GeForce4 Ti4600 and the card everyone has been reading about?

Every manufacturer puts their own touches on every card released. I would rather read an article on 7 or 8 different cards with one of them being the 'reference card'.

I think this approach would allow tech savvy folk (and I guess Mac folk too) to make more educated choices when they're considering throwing down large sums of cash for the next greatest thing.

And while I'm on a rant... how hard is it to make a "jumper position switch" for IDE devices to make it easier on guys with big fingers. Have you dropped one of the little suckers - only for it to be swallowed up by some nook or cranny put there by some case designer who gets his kicks by envisioning some poor smuck shaking his case overhead like a gorilla in a futile attempt to dislodge it?

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's because there is a reference design, and then the retail versions. The reference is the first out, so reviewers will get it out the door ASAP (the ones that are sent a reference card, of course). Then, do they review all the retail models? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Same thing with motherboards, there is a reference and then retail versions.

There's nothing really review sites can do about it. If you want to see more reviews, click on some banners and help out the sites you like.

And yes, I hate the tiny jumpers on IDE devices.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>