Radeon drivers & DX 8.1

Right.

Currently downloading the ATI drivers from their site, but want to know about DX 8.1

The download page states you can't run the W98 or W2K versions without it. I've been using 8.0 happily, and had heard 8.1 had problems. Downloadable file is "wme_radeon_4_13_9009.exe"

Any comments?

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I've had no problem with 8.1 and you need it to utilize the 8500 features, also the 9013 alternate driver is much better then the 9009 your using.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't know where you heard that DX8.1 has problems but I can assure you, that's not true. Download DX8.1 to make use of all the new features in the Radeon 8500.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

I don't actually have an 8500. Just the DDR 64MB vivo retail. ( :smile: 'just' :smile: )

I suppose the latest Radeon driver will be a better deal than the driver which I got with the card (approx. Sep 01)?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes. The Radeon 64MB DDR will also improve in performance with the latest drivers. With DX8.1, at least you'll be able to emulate the Vertex and Pixel shaders through software. As a side note, the original did have very early versions of pixel/vertex shaders, but the standard was further revised upon the DX8 release.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Yep. I'm pretty sure I got DX7 with my Radeon card. That would put the dates about right.

Well. I'll have to get weaving on the drivers now. Hope to report back this evening.

Well I got all the drivers for DX and ATI installed. Don't really notice much difference. I've been playing NOLF and its better quality at no loss of performance if that's something?

Maybe I need to really get into a scrap with lots of enemies running about to really test the GPU.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I've been using 8.0 happily, and had heard 8.1 had problems.
There was a time prior to the official release of Microsoft's approved DirectX ver. 8.1, when an unofficial version of this release was being offered on some other web site. A number of people here at THG were complaining and posting questions on how to uninstall ver. 8.1

So that wasn't a rumor. Then later the official version was released having no problems at all. Its safe to upgrade to DirectX v.8.1 off of the Microsoft website.

<b>See the post below referencing problems with a beta version of DX 8.1 (post dated: 9/10/01)</b>

Someone answered at the M$ forum (not the moderator, his response was "you shouldn't install illegal soft" or something like that).

Goto http://www.tweak.dk/andre.php and download the 8.1 version for your operating system.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jc14all on 02/23/02 09:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS