Connection Center

a b 8 Security
September 6, 2005 5:39:14 PM

I have Windows XP home, SP2 and MSN9 dial-up. I also have Norton
Antivirus 2003. The definitions are up to date, and a recent systms
sweep. I am using the Microsoft firewall and Spy Sweeper for MSN, with
up-to-date definitions and a recent sweep.

Today when I signed in online, the Connection Center had a pop-up and
asked if i wanted a security check. It wouldn't take "no" for an answer.
When I took the security check, the Connection Center said it couldn't
find my access numbers, and this prevented me from going online.

I uninstalled the Connection Center. I can go online fine now. My
question is this:

Is there a security risk in going online without the Connection Center?

More about : connection center

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 6, 2005 8:41:12 PM

http://www.msn.com/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:27464-431DD442-42@storefull-3217.bay.webtv.net,
Alton W <Alton25@webtv.net> hunted and pecked:
> I have Windows XP home, SP2 and MSN9 dial-up. I also have Norton
> Antivirus 2003. The definitions are up to date, and a recent systms
> sweep. I am using the Microsoft firewall and Spy Sweeper for MSN, with
> up-to-date definitions and a recent sweep.
>
> Today when I signed in online, the Connection Center had a pop-up and
> asked if i wanted a security check. It wouldn't take "no" for an answer.
> When I took the security check, the Connection Center said it couldn't
> find my access numbers, and this prevented me from going online.
>
> I uninstalled the Connection Center. I can go online fine now. My
> question is this:
>
> Is there a security risk in going online without the Connection Center?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 7, 2005 4:29:52 AM

Wesley Vogel wrote

http://www.msn.com/
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
In news:27464-431DD442-42@storefull-3217.bay.webtv.net, Alton W
<Alton25@webtv.net> hunted and pecked:

Thanks Mr. Vogel. Your spelling is impeccable. The only thing I could
find at that address is the following, but is doesn't answer my
question.

======<snip>=======

posted by Jack A. 12:17 23-08-05 GMT)
I've been intermittently plagued by some rogue software deleting files
on my system for the past two months. This occurs right after an online
session, using MSN as my ISP. It happens almost every day, but doesn't
seem to be determined by what sites I visit when I'm online, or the
length of time I'm online. Immediately after signing out, a window
displays for a second or two indicating that files are being deleted,
but the files flash by so quickly that I can't determine what they are.
Afterwards, I'm unable to reconnect to the internet because my ISP
connection center software has been clobbered. I'm using MSN9 dial-up
services, Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, and Ad-Aware for
phishing/cookie control. Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware are always up to
date with the latest released definitions, and both are run at least
once weekly. So far, I've been able to recover from the problems caused
when key files are deleted by performing a System Restore. I've sent
queries to Symantec, Microsoft, and MSN, and received several
suggestions in turn which have not proved to be helpful. I've also
searched many knowledge data bases, and posted a related Windows XP
Newsgroup query which was geared toward finding the source of the
problem. That proved not to be helpful also. Since I'm still struggling
with the problem, and since, it seems, the experts haven't been able to
help me, I'm wondering if there's some action I can take to prevent
files from being deleted until I can resolve how the rogue software is
getting into my system. These would be files targeted by the rogue
software, therefore I don't know their path names. Thanks for any help
that may be provided.
--
Jack A
Re: Rogue software deleting files.

=========</snip>========
a b 8 Security
September 7, 2005 1:40:20 PM

Try one of these.

MSN Dialup Access Connection Center
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/d...

MSN Dialup Access

In news:9667-431E6CC0-953@storefull-3215.bay.webtv.net,
Alton W <Alton25@webtv.net> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel wrote
>
> http://www.msn.com/
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> In news:27464-431DD442-42@storefull-3217.bay.webtv.net, Alton W
> <Alton25@webtv.net> hunted and pecked:
>
> Thanks Mr. Vogel. Your spelling is impeccable. The only thing I could
> find at that address is the following, but is doesn't answer my
> question.
>
> ======<snip>=======
>
> posted by Jack A. 12:17 23-08-05 GMT)
> I've been intermittently plagued by some rogue software deleting files
> on my system for the past two months. This occurs right after an online
> session, using MSN as my ISP. It happens almost every day, but doesn't
> seem to be determined by what sites I visit when I'm online, or the
> length of time I'm online. Immediately after signing out, a window
> displays for a second or two indicating that files are being deleted,
> but the files flash by so quickly that I can't determine what they are.
> Afterwards, I'm unable to reconnect to the internet because my ISP
> connection center software has been clobbered. I'm using MSN9 dial-up
> services, Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus, and Ad-Aware for
> phishing/cookie control. Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware are always up to
> date with the latest released definitions, and both are run at least
> once weekly. So far, I've been able to recover from the problems caused
> when key files are deleted by performing a System Restore. I've sent
> queries to Symantec, Microsoft, and MSN, and received several
> suggestions in turn which have not proved to be helpful. I've also
> searched many knowledge data bases, and posted a related Windows XP
> Newsgroup query which was geared toward finding the source of the
> problem. That proved not to be helpful also. Since I'm still struggling
> with the problem, and since, it seems, the experts haven't been able to
> help me, I'm wondering if there's some action I can take to prevent
> files from being deleted until I can resolve how the rogue software is
> getting into my system. These would be files targeted by the rogue
> software, therefore I don't know their path names. Thanks for any help
> that may be provided.
> --
> Jack A
> Re: Rogue software deleting files.
> (posted by AvianFlux 16:20 23-08-05 GMT) A file integrity checker will
> log changes made to the file system of your computer to assist in
> trouble shooting. File Change Alarm:

http://www.capimonitor.nl/File%20Change%20Alarm/_loadur...

> =========</snip>========
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 21, 2009 1:25:11 AM

Hi,

I am having all sorts of problems with MSN Connection Center....... I logged in and have it.....I didn't install it and know next to nothing about computers.....Would you please tell me how to uninstall it?.....I have an internet provider and it says I am connected but the CC won't let me log in saying I have to sign up with new dial up numbers......When I try to sign up through their window it says my email address and password are inaccurate......groan.......the same ones I have had for over ten years.....I can log in through my yahoo messenger......go to my favorites and click MYMSN and get to MSN and my hotmail that way.......which is ridiculous.....Please help.....Mom without a clue......

Teresa
August 21, 2009 1:40:59 AM

Go to control panel, network and internet connection then setup or change internet connection, your real provider should be there, choose it.
If not do a search from the same window, then add it
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 21, 2009 1:51:50 AM

Thank you jaydeejohn......and I did what you suggested but nothing changed.....My provider was there and it used to be the only one, but now MSN is there too......I reset my provider as the one and only but the window still opens telling me I have to find new dialing numbers.......I appreciate so much your quick response.....and for taking the time to help me......SMOOCH.........lolol......
August 21, 2009 4:34:34 AM

Just make sure the other is your default
And thanks :love:  :p  [:jaydeejohn:3]
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 21, 2009 4:47:57 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Just make sure the other is your default
And thanks :love:  :p  [:jaydeejohn:3]

My internet provider is my default.....I double checked.....and I still cannot log in.....the connection center window appears atop the regular MSN window I am used to and won't allow it......sigh.......But I appreciate the help, I really do and the love......smile.....

Teresa
August 21, 2009 4:59:59 AM

Make sure you have all your services available, a fire wall and a anti virus program
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 21, 2009 8:58:23 PM

Thanks again jaydeejohn.....I did and all services are on and working......Norton Anti Virus and Spyware....Can you explain to me how it all the sudden appeared one morning...when I hadn't installed it?.....Was it included in an automatic XP update or something?....double smooches......You have been so kind to spend too much time on this........you deserve them....smile
Teresa
!