DECENT PCI VIDEO CARD

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
OK, I'm in a quandary; I just bought a new system, and I need a video card. I am waiting for the Ti4200's to come out, but I need a new video card for this new system since my current 8MB card ain't gonna cut it. In any case, I do want my new system to support 2 monitors, so buying a decent secondary PCI card first, seems like a decent solution. However, knowing that there's no such thing as a great PCI VC, what's my best bet? An ATI Radeon 7000, GeForce2 MX400 64MB....what else is there. My considerations are such:

1.) Most importantly...spend less than $90, including shipping.

2.) It will be running on Win2K Pro (possibly even WinXP Pro...if my buddy comes thru).

3.) Just be able to run simple windows apps (browser, office.....)

4.) It would be nice if I could game a little on it over the next month, while I wait for the Ti4200's.

5.) I don't want any complicated situations. I want this thing to snap in and work....no fuss.

6.) If possible, a TV tuner would be great as well. This seems to be asking for way too much, but you never know. Otherwise, I will just buy a TV Tuner separately which coul totally fill my PCI slots (VC2, SC, NIC Card, Modem, and possible USB 2.0 card). If I can consolidate, I would feel a little better, but I could certaily leave out the modem or USB card until I really need them.

Thanks for all of your help in advance. I appreciate it.

-Rick

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Yes you're right, there's no such thing as a great PCI video card. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say there's no such thing as a fair PCI video card. Of course, situations are situations. I think your best bet is a GeForce 2 MX400 (which you mentioned). Expect to pay about 70-75 dollars for the card and 10-15 for the shipping, so right at your budget max. However, you'll definitely be exceeding $90 dollars if you find one with a TV-OUT. If that's really important to you, you should go with a GeForce2 MX200 with a TV-OUT which will run you $50-$60 plus the usual shipping charge. These cards usually work without muchy fuss, particularly ASUS boards.

Still, it goes without saying that the performance/dollar ratio is probably not something you really want to dwell on in this case.

Do not get the MX 200 series of cards. They will be slower than your Voodo3 card. The fastest pci card for gaming is the ATI radeon pci. Although these are pretty slow also, compared to an AGP card.

I aint signing nothing!!!

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Another question.....

Correct me if I am wrong, but: TV-OUT != TV TUNER

I really want to be able to watch cable TV on one of the monitors. TV-OUT doesn't mean that I can connect cable to my PC, it just means that I can send video to the TV from the PC, correct? Thanks again.

-Rick

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the speed of secondary card is not important. A fast PCI card is pretty much useless since you going to buy a fast AGP card. Only the primary card have all the funtion enabled and the secondary pretty much can only have basic display function. PCI cannot provide enough bandwidth for a fast Video card and most of the game does not support 2 monitor anyway. There is no reason to play game on the secondary card if you have a fast AGP card.
I think for secondary card the 2D image quality and function will be more important than speed. I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 pro as my secondary card. It is great since it allow me to watch TV on my computer and it also have very good 2D image quality. I have to switch it to promary monitor in order to watch TV. In windows 2000 switch monitor does not even require restart the computer. I get it from COMPUSA for about 50 dollars after rebate about 6 month ago.

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
UPEC,

Great, thanks....I just checked out the ATI All-in-Wonder 128. It is currently $49.99 at BestBuy with a $10 rebate....count me in. You get full-screen display, right?

Thanks again.

-Rick

G

Ok, I will be happy to correct you. NO! TV OUT does not = TV tuner. TV out means that you can output the signal from the video card to a television screen. TV tuner means that you can receive TV signals on your PC. These two things are NOT the same. Hope I was helpful. :D

I ain't got time to bleed! :eek: