BSOD PLEASE HELP!!!

so1dier

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Can someone please help me, I am having issues with a BSOD that I can't figure out. This is a link to the windows 7 forum where I have posted everything that has been going on.

BSOD Thread

These are frustrating for sure. Never trust geek squad they don't know a dam thing about computers.

From what I gathered you had an nvidia video card thought it was bad and changed to an ATI card. Did you uninstall the nvidia drivers before installing the ATI card? Uninstall the nvidia drivers if they're still there.

After that here's what you do go into safe mode. Before windows boots and after the BIOS posts hit F8 and select "safe mode with networking".

While in safe mode launch some apps, do some stuff, and browse the web like normal. See if it crashes.

If it doesn't crash it's a software problem. If it still crashes it's a hardware problem. Let us know.

You said in another forum:
Edit: My computer froze again. One thing I noticed is when it does get a blue screen it freezes on the blue screen which is probably why it doesn't finish making a report.

It says

dumping physical memory to disk: 80 or 60

and stays at that number so I have to manually press restart.

so1dier

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I used to own an XFX 5870 and switched it to an ASUS 5870. Both are ATI I believe. I also reformatted after I put the new ASUS 5870 card in.

Thanks for trying to help. I can try to run it in safe mode and see if it crashes, however it usually crashes when I'm playing games(80% of the time if I'm on I'm playing games, so not much help). It has crashed twice(no BSOD, just a restart and computer freezing with audio looping) while watching a youtube video.

It also sometimes will not crash for almost 2 days, while other times it will crash 4 times in 20 minutes... Meaning if I run it in safe mode it could be one of those times where it does not crash for 2 days so I won't really know if it's a hardware problem or not.

so1dier

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I have done 2 passes of memtest 86 and got 0 errors. I might redu it and let it do 8 passes if you think that is the issue. I did change the RAM to 1600 instead of the default 1333. I will switch that back and test it but what should the RAM voltage and timings be set to? I have my ram listed on my windows 7 forum profile. I'm assuming the timings and voltage should be set to the correct measurements as I didn't change them.

Be sure to load up the latest system drivers either from the MB CD or the MB's online product page. Latest graphics card drivers also.

Perhaps try running the system file checker to check for OS errors or corrupted files.

Open Start>Search and type in Run. In Run command type in: sfc /scannow then enter.

IRQ_ not_ Equal is usually caused by drivers or RAM. This guide may or may not help.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1647&page=4

Bad RAM just freezes your computer hard.

Overclocks can cause unpredictable problems. So stop overclocking and over volting if you are and see if that solves your problem.

Make sure you go into safe mode and watch some youtube videos.

I'm beginning to think it's your motherboard. Take a flash light and check out your motherboard for possible scratches, burns, or popped caps.

so1dier

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Ya, I only "overclocked" the RAM because 1600 is supposed to be its default value so it's kind of not overclocking. When I first got my motherboard it was in perfect condition from what I could tell. I was very careful to keep grounding myself when I put the computer together.

I installed the motherboard drivers from the disc and the only 2 drivers online. I kept away from sata raid drivers become I'm not using it.

I did reset my motherboard once with a metal screwdriver...

1 note, I'm not sure if it matters, but everytime I would start of my computer(after the screen that shows your motherboard and a list of junk, along with the keys to get into bios/startup) there would be a black screen asking if I want to switch my hard drive from sata to AHCI mode or vise versa, and the person and best buy told me to do it because it makes your hard drive run faster so I did. I'm guessing that wouldn't be giving me these issues but I thought I would bring it up.

Umm ok again people at geek squad (aka best buy) don't know anything about computers.

AHCI is kind of special. It's so special that windows XP doesn't support it and will crash if you try to boot from it.
It's also special in the sense that if you install windows using IDE mode windows sees your drive as an IDE drive. Which windows XP supports.
After the windows install if you switch it from IDE to AHCI windows usually just crashes with a BSOD. It won't boot.

You have to switch it back to IDE. The only way you can use AHCI is if you install windows WITH AHCI enabled to begin with AND it's NOT windows xp or earlier. It has to be vista or later.

OK so ya that does help. I guarantee if you switch it back to IDE you will not get any BSOD's.

I'm one of those people that always spells guarantee wrong every time. I just don't get why there's a fricken u in there.

so1dier

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Well my computer can start up windows and run for several hours without crashing. I just chose the default install for windows 7 so I don't know if it was set up for IDE or AHCI or not but it does not BSOD on startup, it can still run. It just BSOD randomly when I play games or watch youtube video or do w/e on my computer.

so1dier

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Even if I have it set up incorrectly it still seems to run just fine sometimes. It's not crashing before I even start up windows.

After I had windows 7 installed I switched it from IDE to AHCI and now everytime I start up windows 7 it says something like this...

Gigabyte Technology Corp. PCI Express to SATAII HOST Controller ROM v1.07.16C
Copyright(C) 2005-2009. Gigabyte Technology Corp.

Detecting drives; Done; No drives found._

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

so if i get it right, ur pc crashes on gpu intensive tasks. sinc u already changed ur gpu, im guessing its the psu. please list the mobo model n thepsu model/ratings.

if u hav a integrated gpu, or igp or some old pci-e gpu with lower power rating, do try it out for testing

also mind u, ati had some issues with driver on windows7, make sure ur on the latest drivers

Does windows still boot after not finding drives? Something just doesn't sound right.

so1dier

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Alright, well it's been a week and no crashes so I guess that was the problem. Before I bought my computer everyone said that my motherboard was 1600MHz RAM compatible. I don't know what this means but the majority of motherboards say something like 1333, 1600(OC), 1800(OC), etc. I'm guess the (OC) means there is a driver or setting in the bios that makes that RAM speed compatible as long as you know what to change. I only changed the ram speed from x6 to x8 in the bios making it 1600MHz.

Anyways I'm not to worried about the speed of the RAM, as I'm guessing it won't improve performance that much anyways, and I'm happy that my computer isn't crashing anymore. Thanks for the help guys :). Time to play some games!!! :)