Jim

Microsoft Word gives me this error message: "There is not enough memory or
disk space to complete the operation"
when I try to do a copy & paste from a html document displayed in 'FireFox'.
If I try to do the same operation from the same document in MS IE, it works
fine.

I have 590MB of RAM (Task Manager shows 187MB in use) and 17.3GB of free
hard drive space on the C:\.

What do I have to do to get MS Word or WinXP to do this simple operation
without complaining while I'm using my browser of choice...Firefox?

I keep getting ‘insufficient memory’ errors
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/InsufficientMemory.htm

You receive a "There is not enough memory or disk space to complete the
operation" error message when you open a file in Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224054

You receive a "There is insufficient memory or disk space" error messages
when you save a file with low hard disk space in Word 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211326

You receive an error message or the program stops responding when you save a
document in Word 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813997

You receive an error message or the program stops responding when you try
save a file in Word 2002 and in Word 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291178

WD97: Errors Opening File If Low Memory or Low Disk Space
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173908

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3161A59C-457D-49DF-9E80-F6017B87D323@microsoft.com,
Jim@HiTek <Jim@HiTek@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Microsoft Word gives me this error message: "There is not enough memory or
> disk space to complete the operation"
> when I try to do a copy & paste from a html document displayed in
> 'FireFox'. If I try to do the same operation from the same document in MS
> IE, it works fine.
>
> I have 590MB of RAM (Task Manager shows 187MB in use) and 17.3GB of free
> hard drive space on the C:\.
>
> What do I have to do to get MS Word or WinXP to do this simple operation
> without complaining while I'm using my browser of choice...Firefox?

Thanks for your response, Wesley.

According to the Performance page of Task Manager, there is plenty of RAM
available when the failure occurs. The unused RAM shown when the error occurs
is generally more then 400 MB! And I have plenty of disk space, around 9.7GB
free. So the helpful hints in your post to add memory (RAM) or disk space do
not seem to apply to my situation.

I followed your links and did the process of removing any virus that might
be on my computer HDD's but the program from Symantic showed that I didn't
have that particular problem either. And deleting the files associated with
that virus then re-installing them from the original WinXP CD didn't change
the problem either.

So, my question again: How do I get Word97 to allow a copy and paste from a
HTML page presented by Mozilla FireFox? It always gives me the error message
mentioned, despite the state of my computer or the number of programs
running, but it does not give me the error message if I'm copying & pasting
the exact same paragraph from the exact same page if I'm using MS Internet
Explorer 6.

Since copy & paste works fine from MS Internet Explorer 6 at the same page
copying the same paragraph as when it fails to do so in FireFox, I don't
believe that it's actually a memory or space problem. And I've checked
extensively for viruses, spyware, scumware, etc. and found my machine to be
clean.

It seems that there is something in Word that refuses to work correctly if
the copy, no matter how small, is not from a MS internet product.

Thanks for your help so far.

Jim@HiTek

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> I keep getting ‘insufficient memory’ errors
> http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/InsufficientMemory.htm
>
> You receive a "There is not enough memory or disk space to complete the
> operation" error message when you open a file in Word 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224054
>
> You receive a "There is insufficient memory or disk space" error messages
> when you save a file with low hard disk space in Word 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211326
>
> You receive an error message or the program stops responding when you save a
> document in Word 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813997
>
> You receive an error message or the program stops responding when you try
> save a file in Word 2002 and in Word 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291178
>
> WD97: Errors Opening File If Low Memory or Low Disk Space
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173908
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3161A59C-457D-49DF-9E80-F6017B87D323@microsoft.com,
> Jim@HiTek <Jim@HiTek@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Microsoft Word gives me this error message: "There is not enough memory or
> > disk space to complete the operation"
> > when I try to do a copy & paste from a html document displayed in
> > 'FireFox'. If I try to do the same operation from the same document in MS
> > IE, it works fine.
> >
> > I have 590MB of RAM (Task Manager shows 187MB in use) and 17.3GB of free
> > hard drive space on the C:\.
> >
> > What do I have to do to get MS Word or WinXP to do this simple operation
> > without complaining while I'm using my browser of choice...Firefox?

Hi Jim,

I know zip about Mozilla FireFox.

Did your Word 97 come with Works Suite?

If yes, Word will have the copy and paste problem below, but maybe, just a
guess here, maybe it causes other problems.

If no, look at the article anyway for add-ins that may be causing problems.

BTW, my Word 2002 came as part of Works Suite and I removed the Works Suite
add-in.

If Word came installed as part of Works Suite then the Microsoft Works
Suite Add-in for Word (COM Add-in) is known to clear the contents of the
Windows Clipboard when Word starts.

Start Word first, then copy and paste.

Or follow the procedures here to remove the Works Suite add-in

WD The Windows Clipboard Content is Modified When Word Starts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555173

This applies to Word 97, Word 2000, Word 2002 and Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User