PNY GeForce3 and GeForce4 cards not working!

G

I have a Tyan Trinity K7 motherboard with a Slot A Athlon 750mhz which uses the VIA KX133 chipset. I'm running XP Home Edition with a clean install. I have a hercules GeForce2 card that works great. But for some reason when I tried using a PNY GeForce3 Titanium or the GeForce4 MX440 PNY card my system locks up. The GeForce3 card takes at least until I do something graphical to lock up.. including just browsing the web. The GeForce4 card locks up as soon as windows starts to load. I noticed a tiny colored pixel in the top left of my screen when the GeForce4 locked up. Before when I tried to get the GeForce3 card to work I did absolutely everything, upgrading powersupply, setting every possible bios setting imaginable, you name it. There was only one situation where I got the GeForce3 card to work and that was when I pulled out every single PCI card in my system. If I so much as put a NIC card in.. it would lock up.. but with no PCI cards in my system I could run the chameleon color changing 3D demo and the GeForce3 wouldnt lock up. I wasnt about to pull out all my crap to see if the GeForce4 would work.. probably wouldnt. Is all of this just because PNY is crap? Should I try a hercules GeForce3 card? Or is this a chipset/motherboard problem?

I have 384 MB Ram so thats not the problem, I'd hame all of my pci cards but like i said it crashes if I put just a NIC card in (tried 3 kinds) and if even I put just my pci soundcard in.

I updated my VIA chipset drivers, USB Filter driver, tried Nvidia drivers.. you name a version and I tried it, the PNY drivers that came on the cd, I have the latest bios version for my motherboard. And as I said before I tried every single bios setting you can think of, and I have just about any setting available that you can think of. I installed the identical GeForce3 card in my wife's PIII 500mhz system I built and it works great for her.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have been running a PNY Gforce 3 ti500 for 4 months and never had any problems
at all. Did you try your card in the wife's system?

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for.... All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:

G

I tried her card in my computer and got the same results. I did this naturally thinking that maybe i had a bum card.
Are you using a via chipset? like the KX133 ?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Yes. The Asus A7V266-E. I believe your chipset is the problem.
Hopefully someone will share some knowledge with us.

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for.... All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:

G

Yeah I hope someone else has had some experience with this problem .. and hopefully a fix.

G

I just put in a 350 watt power supply after using a 300 watt power supply.. still same exact problems.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
With my KT133(A) mobos, everytime I change the video hardware I have to do clean installs of Via 4-in-1 drivers, Detonators, and DirectX. This is the only way to avoid lockups. The big key here is the 4-in-1 drivers. To install them cleanly run the installer but select the options to uninstall the components. Don't reboot when prompted by rather run the installer a second time. This time let the drivers install. Don't forget to select "Turbo mode" for the AGP driver. (I'm not sure if any of this works for Windows XP but it does work for Win 9x/ME). This method has been "bullet proof" for my KT133A, KT133, and MVP3 motherboards.

Another problem I noticed when installing a different video card with these old chipsets is that Windows doesn't quite detect the change. This can usually be cured in BIOS by selecting the option to Reset Configuration Data (sometimes called Reset ECSD or something like that). It's actually a good to reset this value when changing any hardware. Forces Windows to re-detect.

Via KX133 and early KT133 motherboards have a problem with AGP (and PCI) power regulation. Sometimes (but not always) a big power supply, one that can supply like 30 amps on each of the 3.3 and 5 volt rails, may help. There was a rumor that running the GPU fan directly from the PSU might help. I tend to doubt this since most GPU fans are of the 0.06 amp variety.

You can sometimes check for power issues by underclocking the GPU. You can also remove extra extra PCI cards, like NICs and modems, and disconnecting unnessary drives. However, doing this doesn't guarantee a power issue. Could just be a conflict was eliminated by removing PCI cards. It still a good idea to strip the system to the minimum for test purposes. Leave just memory, video card, and hard disk. Test your 3D with this configuration.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/25/02 03:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I noticed a tiny colored pixel in the top left of my screen when the GeForce4 locked up.
Hey I get this sometimes too .. soyo p4s ultra p-4 2.0a NW kingmax 333ddr visiontek gf3ti200.. no idea what is going on I have a clean install of win 98 se and nvidia drivers etc .. this is a recent build .. my gf2 pro 32 mb dosn't do this .. hope I can find an answer .. as it obviously isnt limited to brand , os, mobo chip etc etc but seems to point back to the gpu or vid ram etc

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>